Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-19-2004, 03:51 PM   #1
Rivet Master

2005 22' International CCD
Buckhorn , Ontario
Let's start with the Fridge....

...cause it is the most important!

I have the job of doing the prelim inspections and to gather advice from those who have been down the same road - then I can pass it on to the HD to try and save him valuable time - needed to consume the contents of the Fridge when and if we get it working.

The mechanical stuff I will leave till later - for now I am in charge of the cosmetics....

Assuming that the fridge will work and keep everything nice and cool on both LP and AC settings (as per all your wonderful threads on this forum) what are the chances of either repairing the inside door skin - or getting it replaced? And should I ask how much a replacement will cost

It is a Dometic Model # (no clue even where to look - have found the model numbers of everything else though) Dimessions are 33"H 22.5"W 25.5"D - Guess we will be keeping the food in coolers

As you can see by the photo the inside skin is cracking away from the door and being held by the trusty ole duct tape. I was thinking of a tub surround material re-glued or fiberglassed as a new backing then remounted into the door - but not sure if it would hold up? Looks like it might even be a replacement as the inside of the fridge is a aqua green and the door is a beige??? or is two-tone common? It is a shame because all the parts are there and the rest of the door is in good shape. (but you never know it may never start either

Being from Eastern Ontario, Canada does anyone know of any RV grave yards that I might go on a scavange hunt? Northeastern States is fine too - willing to travel.

Any advice/direction is very much appreciated.
Attached Images

05ModPod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2004, 09:29 PM   #2
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari FB SE
St. Cloud , Minnesota
I'm game -- I'll help you keep this thread alive. Any RV fridge salvage recommendations in the northeast?

I always hear about http://www.colawrvsalvage.com/ in Missouri as being a fair resource and knowledgeable -- don't know how well they do over the phone. May still be hit or miss proposition...

Keep yourselves alive though: Things to check before using LP in Fridge

5 meter Langford Nahanni

CanoeStream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2004, 05:53 AM   #3
Still Working

1994 36' Classic 36
North Charleston , South Carolina
Ebay

Not certain if it is the same but I thoght I saw a small dometic from an Airstream listed on Ebay this week.

SMily
smily is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2004, 06:23 AM   #4
Rivet Master

Buckhorn , Ontario
Wink Close but no cigar

Me Too I thought great what luck so I ran out and measured...

Looks like the GlobeTrotters and under have the miniature appliances

About 10 inches to tall for ours - same width and depth though.

I guess this is half the fun of owning vintage - the search is never ending

Thanks for the tip though

Sharon
Old 02-20-2004, 06:33 AM   #5
Rivet Master

Buckhorn , Ontario
Where do you find the Model number?

Do I have to take the outside panel door off to find it and if so where would I be looking????

Thanks - anyone?
Old 02-20-2004, 07:39 AM   #6
Rivet Master

1969 31' Sovereign
Broken Arrow , Oklahoma
Colaws

I went to Colaws looking for a door, they have hundreds but couldn't find one for me. Mine has swelled over time and is hard to close, can't get a good seal.
I remember last year someone else had the same problem and did a repair so if you do a search fridge or Dometic you may find the answer to your problem.

Garry
garry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2004, 09:01 PM   #7
Rivet Master

Buckhorn , Ontario
Things are looking good!

Took our Door to the local RV repair supply place - Peterborough RV and just got some great news - they took our door to their used Fridge guy and he found a match. So as the story goes our door and seal are in great shape - the skin of the salvage door is almost perfect shape so the two will be combined. The salvage door also comes with all the trays - so now I will have a few extra trays I think - not sure if they all fit? Picking it up tomorrow to a tune of $38.96 CND - Now we hope the fridge works I know doing things a bit backwards but her parts look like they have never been used so we are keeping our fingers crossed.

Great news on the Aluminum Propane tank side as well. They were able to refit both valves just fine - there was some concern about the one as it was originally valved in 1959 and had not been revalved since - however the other tank was revalved in 1990. So we are now good for the next 10 years.

Really hope to fire up the propane and electrical systems this coming weekend. And if mild enough we just might fill her up with water - but with a supply of RV Antifreeze just in case

Upholstery cleaners are coming on Monday so we will see how well the seat cushions hold up - if they blow apart then we will be on to plan B - replace them all! There was a very good point about mold that we had to watch to make sure we get it out of the sponge - so I am not doing the Dry Cleaning or chem clean - we are going for the good ole deep steam clean.

Can't wait to go camping!

SPK

As soon as we get consistent warm temps we can start on the refinishing of the wood surfaces