Old 07-23-2014, 05:12 PM   #15
Rivet Master

1981 31' Excella II
New Market , Alabama
Take some photos of the beasts in question and let us look at them.

Perry

Quote:
Originally Posted by 62overlander View Post
I think we might need some rocket scientists and engineers for this project. Now if we can just find a few of those maybe we could do a TV show about it….

As Paul hit upon, the amount of heat is very key according to an old time appliance guy I spoke with.

Old 07-23-2014, 05:45 PM   #16
3 Rivet Member

1961 24' Tradewind
1967 26' Overlander
1973 27' Overlander
Savannah , Georgia
Got part one figured out! Replaced the regulator today. The original one was still on the trailer. Immediately had strong gas flow. The burner stays lit now (or at least has for the past hour). Not sure the flame is adjusted correctly, but will worry about that tomorrow. Going to leave it burning a while and see if there is any cooling happening.

Old 07-28-2014, 05:37 PM   #17
3 Rivet Member

1961 24' Tradewind
1967 26' Overlander
1973 27' Overlander
Savannah , Georgia
Update with more frustration. Could only get the burner to burn on low. Basically, there is not enough heat transferred to keep the Klixon open. If I use a long butane lighter and heat it up, the burner goes to high after I hear the click and the unit begins cooling - which means the cooling unit is good. The aluminum tongue is in rough shape, but still there. I have adjusted it a few times and still cannot get enough heat transfer.

Any ideas on replacing/augmenting the tongue to transfer more heat?

Or better yet, anyone change out the burner with something newer or convert to electric? I am determined to keep the Model 50.
Old 07-28-2014, 08:03 PM   #18
Rivet Master

1981 31' Excella II
New Market , Alabama
You just need to find a donor fridge with the more modern gas valve and remove the guts and put them in yours.

Perry
Old 07-28-2014, 09:51 PM   #19
Rivet Master

1974 Argosy 26
Morrill , Nebraska
I agree with Perry. I have an RM 66 model Dometic refer. Which is about 4 cu. ft. as I recall.
You will need the following.
A burner with the proper sized orifice
A safety valve and thermocouple.
A manual shut off valve
A pressure testing port would be handy.
There is no pilot light per se, just the burner.
The flame height for lack of a better term, is controlled by the thermostat. Lowering the flame as the refer box approaches the preset temperature. But it never goes out under normal operation.
A gas thermostat (to control the temperature)
Preferably some type of filter in the gas line ahead of all of the aforementioned components.
I would think if you find a burner assembly for a refer close to the same size as yours, you could make it work with some imagineering. A little oversized would be better than undersized. Since you can lower the thermostat setting if things get too cold.
I found a new safety valve for the RM 66 online. There were also thermostats and other components.
Again! With a little imagineering.
Some modern refers require to volts DC for the electronic circuit control board. IMHO. This is over kill. One of the problems is the circuit boards are the first thing to fail.
Old 07-30-2014, 04:42 PM   #20
3 Rivet Member

1961 24' Tradewind
1967 26' Overlander
1973 27' Overlander
Savannah , Georgia
A new update - got the thing to work. I fiddled, used almost a whole thing of canned air, cleaned yet ANOTHER mud dauber nest out of the chimney, adjusted the burner disks down, carefully reshaped the Klixon tongue to how it looks in the picture and got it to come on high. And it stayed on! Checked the fridge temp and hit 20 degrees in the freezer within an hour. I let it run for a couple hours, then turned it to "0" on the control dial to see what it would do. Flame reduced to bypass, maintained fridge at about 40, freezer still had some frost but would not freeze, all of what it is supposed to do. Ran it for 24 hours until I cut it off so I could do some painting. VERY happy!

However, I still would like to replace the Klixon valve/burner with something newer and less fussy. Also it just makes me nervous as to will it REALLY shut off if the flame goes out and what happens when the tanks switch over. I have a Dometic repair person who is up for the challenge, but he is not familiar with the Dometic 50. Has anyone swapped out a burner with a more modern one and what did you use?

Also now on the list - installing a REALLY good LP gas detector with remote notification!
Old 10-12-2014, 07:41 PM   #21
1 Rivet Member

1962 26' Overlander
Defiance , Missouri
Klixon Valve on Ebay

Much to my great surprise I found a NOS klixon valve on ebay:

Klixon Gas Safety Valve Part B3100 14 | eBay

I bought it, but maybe the seller has more?

Thanks
Old 10-12-2014, 11:19 PM   #22
3 Rivet Member

1961 24' Tradewind
1967 26' Overlander
1973 27' Overlander
Savannah , Georgia
Good for you! Will be sending you seller an email! I just bought another complete Dometic 50, so will be replacing mine and holding my current one for parts. The new one is almost unused (appearance wise) and keeps a good temp. Mine just runs hot (unlit) or VERY cold (lit). Really too bad no one keeps parts for these! Need to keep the Dometic 50's going!