Old 07-23-2011, 10:35 PM   #1
4 Rivet Member

1955 16' Bubble
Bend , Oregon
Question IDEA for a Refrigerator install with a 12v & solar fan

So.... HELP ME PLEASE !!!
I found a screaming deal on a Dometic fridge. A bit bigger than my old one but I am rebuilding the cabinets so not a problem there. I understand that there is a need for a roof vent with this new refrigerator. I do not want to put a roof vent on my trailer roof. The original fridge was an older Magic Chef. It had a configuration similar to the first digram. It would appear that the new fridge requires a configuration like the second digram. Well the heck with that, I don't need any more holes in the old girl there is all ready too many as it is. So many hours of surfing and brain storming came up with this idea, please tell me if I am wrong.
The purpose of the roof vent is for adequate ventilation of the condenser. Kind of like when a mason builds a fire place he/she would need to consider the proper draft of the fire place. So if I where to place a computer fan like the one pictured in the rear of the refrigerator and aimed it up and did some creative metal work with some curved deflectors at the top vent would I get the same effect? The most important thing is that I get a constant flow of air over those condenser fins.
I can hear you all saying what about power. Well I thought of that too. With a three way switch I can have the fans run on a appropriate wattage solar panel. At night when it is cooler and less of a drain I could switch it to the 12V trailer system. The switch could be used to place the fans in Solar mode, 12V mode, or OFF.

Well, what do you all think?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Dual Vents.jpg
Views:	116
Size:	38.0 KB
ID:	135698   Click image for larger version

Name:	Roof Vent.jpg
Views:	110
Size:	41.5 KB
ID:	135699  

Attached Images

Old 07-23-2011, 10:48 PM   #2
Aluminum Falcon Mechanic

1972 31' Sovereign
Wesley chapel , Florida
You would need a partition above the condenser completely blocking the flow of air - then cut out two holes that match the diameter of the blades of your PC fans... Fans need to be sealed to the partition so the only path of air is through the blades..

The point of this is when the fans run they can create a positive / negative differential and actually exchange the volume of air... without the fitted partition you are just stirring hot air

Bear in mind that a PC fan does not create very much of a differential and a dc squirrel cage fan will - trick is looking for one that is quiet

Example - 12 VDC Squirrel Cage Brushless Fan

Old 07-23-2011, 10:58 PM   #3
4 Rivet Member

1955 16' Bubble
Bend , Oregon
Dampeners

That makes total sense, otherwise i would have the air only going around in a small circle. I could make an entire bank of fans or I could place slide dampeners if I could control them from some easy point of accesses. I would then have a more natural cold climate/season ventilation.
Old 07-23-2011, 11:10 PM   #4
Aluminum Falcon Mechanic

1972 31' Sovereign
Wesley chapel , Florida
This guy is only 42db at full speed but if you reduce the voltage to it with a variable pot. you could get it pretty quiet

Static Pressure:0.97 in.-H2O

Sunon Fans - GB1205PHVX-8AY.GN - Blower - Fans, Motors & Thermal Management - Allied Electronics

Old 07-24-2011, 09:49 AM   #5
4 Rivet Member

1955 16' Bubble
Bend , Oregon
So how many cubic feet per min should I be aiming for? Is there a magic # that I need to obtain? How many fans and what is the CFM that any body else has on their set up. My fridge will be a 5 cubic feet of storage
Old 07-24-2011, 10:31 AM   #6
Aluminum Falcon Mechanic

1972 31' Sovereign
Wesley chapel , Florida
Well calculate the opening in the specified vents ( Louvers ) in square inches then the temp difference between incoming air and exhaust air and you can calculate the convection. I would guess it would be no more than a few cfm. You could test your setup with a thermometer and if the exit temp of your new setup is too hot add another blower.
Darkspeed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2011, 10:37 AM   #7
Rivet Master

1956 22' Flying Cloud
1953 32' Liner
1955 22' Safari
Valley View , Texas
Send a message via Skype™ to Melody Ranch
food for thought

With a redone Bubble....are you REALLY going to use it where a 12v / 110v refer won't work? Do you REALLY need a gas refer or gas type vent? Any refer I use just needs "adequate" space around the back, or under, the condenser area. I notice no heat build up at all. You can get all the circulation you need with a small, quiet computer cooling fan.

If so, what is worse....a small vent on the roof or two vents on the side...if you decide to go that way?
Old 07-24-2011, 10:42 AM   #8
4 Rivet Member

1955 16' Bubble
Bend , Oregon
Quote:
Originally Posted by Melody Ranch View Post
With a redone Bubble....are you REALLY going to use it where a 12v / 110v refer won't work? Do you REALLY need a gas refer?

If so, what is worse....a small vent on the roof or two vents on the side?
The refer is 2 way 110 and LPG. I have 2 vent covers on the side already from the previous fridge. I Am trying to adapt to the circumstances that I have been given. Given the location of the fridge and its location to the curvature of the roof, it would almost stick out to the side. It is located on the right rear corner of the floor plan.
Old 07-25-2011, 02:04 AM   #9
4 Rivet Member

1955 16' Bubble
Bend , Oregon
I must reply to this thread and ask. What is the average CFM air exchange needed for a 5 5 cubic feet refer? Or a rule of thumb objective. I would like to only have to build this once with out having to take it all apart again.
Old 07-28-2011, 06:57 PM   #10
4 Rivet Member

1955 16' Bubble
Bend , Oregon
I talked to a human being after waiting on hold for a good solid hour at the Dometic support line. The decided base CFM for the addition of fans is 85-100. Strangely enough the fan that they sell is the same. Coincidence? I think not. But that should be a starting point for me. Hope that will help other people.
Old 07-28-2011, 07:13 PM   #11
banjobill

2000 30' Limited
battle ground, , Washington
camping world fans

well, I already have a refer vent and hole in the roof with a cover-so I put a baffle in the hole with 3 round holes in it to match 3 of the camping world vent fans-you can barely hear them run when needed. There are other threads on this, but the only time I use my fans is when the roadside is in direct high temp sun.
Old 07-28-2011, 07:22 PM   #12
Aluminum Falcon Mechanic

1972 31' Sovereign
Wesley chapel , Florida
100 cfm? That a lot of air.. Almost 2 cf per second....

http://www.frozencpu.com/products/54...04&id=pxqDbjgm
Darkspeed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2012, 12:17 PM   #13
4 Rivet Member

1956 16' Bubble
Dallas , Oregon
Did you get your fridge figured out? If not I had the same dilemma on my bubble. I ended up using a single vent And a computer fan and modded the vent so cool air would pull up and past the heat exchanger and out the top part of the vent. It worked last summer even in 90 degree weather. Feel free to check out what I did on my thread as you might be able to do the same thing. Cheers. Ted
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image-3188664452.png
Views:	101
Size:	746.8 KB
ID:	149874   Click image for larger version

Name:	image-338468094.png
Views:	82
Size:	460.5 KB
ID:	149875  

Tags
12v