Old 07-28-2009, 10:18 PM   #1
1 Rivet Member
1962 19' Globetrotter
Jamestown , Rhode Island
Ice Box?

Does anyone have experience with the ice box offered by vintage trailer supply? Our Dometics cooling unit failed years ago and the replacement cost is prohibitive for us-right now we're pretty much once-a-year campers. At $130 the ice box sounds like a great idea for our 62 globetrotter. Any one have any thoughts on this?

dougnjano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2009, 11:06 PM   #2
Rivet Master
1965 17' Caravel
1983 27' Excella
Walnut Grove/Laguna Woods , California
Send a message via Yahoo to Jim Foster
No ice box for me

My thought......

I would have no interest in an ice box. I want my Airstream to make ice, not use it. Never have liked to pay for frozen water.

Jim Foster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2009, 04:19 AM   #3
Rivet Master
1977 31' Sovereign
1963 26' Overlander
1989 34' Excella
Johnsburg , Illinois
You can buy a lot of ice for the $1,000 they want for a refrigerator. I buy ice to give my refrigerator a head start on getting cool. If you only use your Airstream for occasional weekend camping, a cooler from Walmart is the cheapest answer. If you only park with electricity, a little college dorm electric refrig. can be had for less than $100.
dwightdi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2009, 09:31 AM   #4
Rivet Master
1967 22' Safari
MILAN , Illinois
Dwightdi has the right idea. The Coleman brand 40 quart Power Chill model coolers at Wal-mart cost only about $88.00 and cool down to 30 degrees cooler than surrounding air. They work on both 12 volt DC and 110 volt AC. They are not designed for full time use but I tote one with me for the truck over last 10 years and have only had to replace it once (due to a lightning strike)! They work great as a small temporary fridge and if meat is frozen and wrapped in aluminum foil it will say frozen for three days and then keep for at least 2 more. I have done this with steaks several times. It sure beats buying ice and the wet mess it can cause. Hope this helps, Ed
1967 Safari Twin "Landshark" w/International trim package
1999 GMC Sierra 1500 SLT

"My tire was thumping, I thought it was flat!
When I looked at the tire... I noticed your CAT!"
Burma Shave
BIGED52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2009, 12:00 PM   #5
1 Rivet Member
1962 19' Globetrotter
Jamestown , Rhode Island
we have 2 of those and several coolers-they work quite well but take up a lot of space. That's why I was wondering if anyone had purchased the ice box.
Oh well status quo for now...
thanks for all your responses-the forum is really great!!!
Old 07-30-2009, 02:41 PM   #6
Rivet Master

2012 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Vintage Kin Owner
Virginia Beach , Virginia
I'm not a vintage owner, and I didn't stay at a Holiday Inn Express last night, but I've seen several people who said they replaced the cooling unit only - not the whole refrigerator. Also read the thread on "Mythbusters" burping an old refrigerator and bringing it back to life. (It also involves drinking beer.)

You might also want to check salvage yards like Colaws.

If those alternatives don't appeal to you, other posters have had good ideas for an infrequent camper. BTW, get it fixed somehow and camping may become something you'll want to do more often.

Today is a gift, that's why they call it the present.
Foiled Again is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2011, 09:33 PM   #7
Rivet Master
1964 19' Globetrotter
The Sea Ranch , California
Hey Dougnjano from Jamestown, we're in Green Hill Beach, RI (and CA) Curious to know what you ended up doing with the fridge/icebox. I'm contemplating some kind of fridge, either a 120/12v from Engel, avoiding the gas portion, or an icebox. We've used the coleman electric ice chest, keeping it hooked up in the truck til we arrive, and then using a converter to plug it in and use the park's 120v. I want something built in and cleaner looking.

Hope to two the Globie back to RI sometime.

Cheers, Peter
Wherever you go, there you are
Globie64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2011, 06:31 AM   #8
1 Rivet Member
1962 19' Globetrotter
Jamestown , Rhode Island
We are still using a small fridge which we plug in to power when we set up (we do a whole outdoor camping-kitchen thing-keeps the inside of the trailer clean and odor-free) and an electric cooler for traveling.