Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-04-2015, 08:48 PM   #1
1 Rivet Member

New Market , Alabama
How to remove door to remove frig

We have a 1973 AS ambassador. We need to get the original fridge out and seems like it is connected to the wall panel. Any advice on how to do this without tearing up the wall panel? Thanks so much. We are new owners and love this little AS...
Mike & Cindy
Silver84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2015, 09:38 PM   #2
Rivet Puller

2003 28' Safari S/O
Atlanta Burbs , Georgia
Not having your model, i can only highlight what worked on my much younger unit. Under the plastic cover for the door hinge is a hidden screw that is driven into the cabinetry. Mine had one top and bottom. Across the top of the ice box there were two more under the removal plastic facing piece. Likewise, the bottom grill hid two more.
SeeMore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2015, 11:34 PM   #3
Rivet Master

1974 Argosy 20
2014 20' Flying Cloud
Kooskia , Idaho
There have been many different connection systems on Airstream refrigerators, so it is very hard to tell you exactly what to do. But the doors on the older ones generally came off with a screw in the top of the freezer door (the hinge screw) and another in the bottom of the refrigerator door, with pins in the center section. Then you may be able to find other screws, often behind trim or pop in cover plastic circles.

The refrigerator also may be (probably is) bolted to the floor with lag screws on those older models. All I can say is they are hard to see, hard to find, and hard to remove.

You may have to remove the wall panel you mentioned in your post. I have removed a number of AS refrigerators. Each is different, and especially in the older units can be unique. I have had to remove countertops to get refrigerators out, and sometimes the countertops were held up by the refrigerator!

So, I doubt that you will find a step by step removal process. You may have to invent your own.
idroba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2015, 08:13 AM   #4
Rivet Master

1973 21' Globetrotter
Houston , Texas
It has been a couple of years now since I removed the refrigerator from my '73 GT, but I know that I did not have to take the door off the fridge, and as I recall, the key to removal was to first remove the side panel of the cabinetry, and at that point all fasteners were visible.

good luck!
Belegedhel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2015, 11:39 AM   #5
2 Rivet Member

2004 28' International CCD
Cocoa , Florida
Removing fridge

Hey there,
I just removed our dometic gas/DC fridge and replaced it with a 110 ac unit, the old one was secured with 2 self tapping screws on the back bottom bracket of the fridge. It slid out with no prob. Although we have a 2004 28' international, it might be something to look for. I did NOT have to take the doors off of the unit, or the door to the trailer.
Hope this helps a little bit.

Ben
2004 28' international
2000 Lincoln Navigator
Bhkh226 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2015, 12:42 PM   #6
1 Rivet Member

New Market , Alabama
Thanks to All for the help
Silver84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2015, 01:32 PM   #7
4 Rivet Member

2005 25' Safari
Currently Looking...
Versailles , Indiana
On our 1980 International, we had to remove the screws in the walls on either side of the fridge, removing the wall next to the credenza completely. This exposed a metal band (at about eye level - but I'm short!) which screwed into the side of the fridge and then screwed into the back wall of the trailer.

We also found six screws which were fastened to an L bracket with screws into the floor and into the side of the fridge. This bracket was only accessible by removing the side of the credenza which was next to the wall we removed. Once all of those screws were out, then we had to lift up on the overhead cabinet to free the top lip of the fridge metal frame.

Most of these details were included in the service manual, but not all, so it does require a bit of exploration...
WBCCI #4447
AIR #70157
Rhino33 is offline   Reply With Quote