Old 02-02-2007, 08:00 PM   #1
3 Rivet Member

1974 25' Tradewind
Lake Oswego , Oregon
How to mount fridge to floor. Pictures?

Does anyone have pictures or ideas about what is the best way to mount the fridge? I have a larger size Dometic that is not original, and it is currently not installed properly. Right now it actually shifts when we tow. We are installing a floating laminate floor and I am not sure how to manage. I know we might need to replace the fridge at some point so the floor can not go over any L brackets.....maybe just L brackets in the back? Any ideas? Pam

Old 02-02-2007, 08:22 PM   #2
Site Team

, Minnesota
It will take some research on your part. Here is a web site that has just about every service manual for refrigerators. Service Documents

From my brief review, it looks like they're all somewhat different. You will need to get the model number and download the right manual.

Sorry. Hope you have broadband.

Old 02-02-2007, 08:30 PM   #3
3 Rivet Member

1974 25' Tradewind
Lake Oswego , Oregon
Thanks for the tip... I will get busy! Pam
Old 02-02-2007, 10:37 PM   #4
Rivet Master

1973 31' Sovereign
Danielsville , Georgia
Pam,

I just finished installing laminate floor around my new RM 2820 and just notched it where the two front screw mounts were. I notched out about 3/4" square to allow for the front mounts and it isn't visible even when you open the door. (It's hidden by the floor gasket). There should also be two screws (one on each side) in the back accessible from the access door outside. The factory actually used a large piece of aluminum (90 deg) up high on the forward side of the fridge (behind the partition) but I was a bit afraid to put any holes in my new refrigerator, as it didn't have a metal shell like the old one.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	refrigmt.jpg
Views:	116
Size:	117.7 KB
ID:	31749  
PizzaChop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2007, 11:00 PM   #5
Site Team

, Minnesota
Pam,

If you have room (height-wise), I would mount the refrigerator a few inches off the floor. It provides some room for a toe notch, and I think it looks nice.

I built a plywood platform about 3" high, and through-bolted it to the floor. Then it's pretty easy to bolt the refrigerator to the platform. You can recess the platform a few inches under the front of the refrigerator, and the edge of the laminate will be hidden under the door.

It also gives room under the platform for run the propane lines and drain lines. They can come up further under the platform and don't need to come through the floor right at the edge of the bellypan. Here's a picture of the platform.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Refrigvent 004.jpg
Views:	116
Size:	60.0 KB
ID:	31750  
Old 02-03-2007, 06:44 AM   #6
Gold Rivet Member

1963 26' Overlander
Fuquay , North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by markdoane
Pam,

If you have room (height-wise), I would mount the refrigerator a few inches off the floor. It provides some room for a toe notch, and I think it looks nice.

I built a plywood platform about 3" high, and through-bolted it to the floor. Then it's pretty easy to bolt the refrigerator to the platform. You can recess the platform a few inches under the front of the refrigerator, and the edge of the laminate will be hidden under the door.

It also gives room under the platform for run the propane lines and drain lines. They can come up further under the platform and don't need to come through the floor right at the edge of the bellypan. Here's a picture of the platform.
does your tradewind have a fiberglass chimney for the fridge? if so i'm assuming you had to modify it, how did it turn out?

(why do i have to press 1 for english??)
tgregory13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2007, 06:46 AM   #7
Silver Mist

1977 31' Sovereign
Riverhead , New York
Mine was on a 1"X1" alum frame about 8" high, bolted the floor.

The fridge was screwed into the top of that frame, it doesn't move.

I also insulated the ventbox.

LI Pets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2007, 07:48 AM   #8
Site Team

, Minnesota
Quote:
Originally Posted by tgregory13
does your tradewind have a fiberglass chimney for the fridge? if so i'm assuming you had to modify it, how did it turn out?
The original was a non-propane model, didn't have a chimmney scoop.

I fabricated a new chimmney out of scrap aluminum. It was based on a bunch of excellent pictures that Uwe sent me of his chimmney.

You need to read through (again, in the service documents) the venting and chimmney construction requirements. If the chimmey is too large around the coils, the air will bypass around the condenser and you won't get a good draft.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Refrigvent 002.jpg
Views:	111
Size:	60.0 KB
ID:	31758  
Old 02-12-2007, 10:58 PM   #9
1 Rivet Member

1979 29' Ambassador
Nashville , Tennessee
fridge bolts

We installed a new electric fridge in our AS. In the back of the fridge the unit was open and you can access the metal plate the compressor is mounted to. I drilled a hole on each side of the bottom plate and lag bolted the fridge to the floor. Then I mounted two "L" brackets, using the existing screws, to the back of the fridge then screwed the "L" brackets to the trailer wall with self tapping screws. (the fridge sits about 2" above the floor on rubber mounts) Fridge is a 4' 110v electric model with freezer and fridge, stainless front, about $225.00 at Walmart.

1992 Buick Roadmaster Wagon, 5.7L V8, 5000# tow package, aux trans cooler, frame hitch/brake box, rear coil over shocks, 10k W/D hitch. tuned exhaust.
Ball_Park145 is offline   Reply With Quote