Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-29-2006, 08:40 PM   #1
4 Rivet Member

1979 31' Excella 500
Detroit Area , Michigan
How long does it take a Dometic to fire up and get cold

Just wondering what is typical when they are run on 110 and propane as far as cool down time.
wacnstac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2006, 08:49 PM   #2
2 Rivet Member

Mine is 35 years old, so I don't know if this is normal or not. But, it normally takes mine about 1 whole day to really get good and cold on either the propane or the electric. I always get it going the day before I leave so that I can put my food in there when we go and it will stay cold while we are traveling.

Again, though, mine is really old. I am planning on putting one of those little fans in there, though. That is supposed to help it cool down quicker.
bimi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2006, 08:59 PM   #3
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

Vintage Kin Owner
Naples , Florida
8-12 hours is average.
lewster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2006, 05:10 AM   #4
Retired.

Currently Looking...
. , At Large
Quote:
Originally Posted by lewster
8-12 hours is average.
Mine is nearlv brand-new, so it works a little faster. You can feel the freezer getting cold after an hour or so, it gets cold enough to put food in after about 6 hours, and reaches its set tempurature after about 8 hours. Most folks will light off the fridge on LP, since it generally cools faster on LP, and when it gets cold, change over to electric.
Old 03-30-2006, 05:46 AM   #5
Rivet Master

1994 30' Excella
Currently Looking...
Milwaukee , Wisconsin
I have a 25 year old three way and it takes about 10 hours to cool completely on electric, a little shorter on propane. I plan to keep this wonderful fridge until my children inherit Chummy.
Does anyone use those little fans that are supposed to cool down the fridge quicker? I do but I doubt it works.
Old 03-30-2006, 07:42 AM   #6
1 Rivet Member

Milwaukee , Wisconsin
I'd say about 75% of what I've been reading about the fans say they don't work. A friend with a Roadtrek and a fan in his unit says he wasted his money, but YMMV.
DocBear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2006, 09:04 AM   #7
Rivet Master

2006 30' Classic
Farmington , New Mexico
Quote:
Originally Posted by DocBear
I'd say about 75% of what I've been reading about the fans say they don't work. A friend with a Roadtrek and a fan in his unit says he wasted his money, but YMMV.
Docbear---I put a fan in an 05 classic we owned and had good results. The purpose however was not to reduce the time needed for cool down but to help the unit get colder in hot weather. We used our when we were in 90 plus temps ,particularly when the sun was beating on the fridge side of the trailer. The cooler you can keep the area behind the fridge the more effecient it will operate. The smallest of fans that will help move air through that area are beneficial. I used a manual switch to turn ours on as needed but a temperature controled one could be used.----Pieman
Mike Lewis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2006, 12:26 PM   #8
1 Rivet Member

Milwaukee , Wisconsin
Good to know, Mike. Thanks.

It's a simple thing to add, so I can't see where it would be a "bad" thing to try out.
DocBear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2006, 04:35 PM   #9
Rivet Master

1993 30' Excella
whitewater , north of cheddar curtain
there is a thread on this mod....high heat high humdidity conditions warrant it....
norby

The only true nobility is found through giving good food to your friends- Anton Careme

beauty is in the eye of the beerholder-cosmo fishhawk

if something is too good to be true, its usually gone before i get there-mister boffo
norbert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2006, 08:12 PM   #10
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

Vintage Kin Owner
Naples , Florida
My 19CCD came from the factory with a cooling fan on the fridge coils. Plus, I have found them (double fans in fact) on every large Norcold unit that I have worked on. The purpose is to keep cooler air moving across the condenser coils so the refrigerant can transfer the heat out of the freezer more efficiently.
lewster is offline   Reply With Quote