Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-30-2009, 05:53 AM   #1
Rivet Master

1970 27' Overlander
Espanola , Full Timer
Send a message via Yahoo to AIR-Quarius Send a message via Skype™ to AIR-Quarius
How door should shut....

We have had this AS for a while now...on the refrig. door there used to be these plastic closing pins apparently there to hold it shut while traveling, I took these off as they were not properly installed. Do these doors just shut...or should they click shut. We have always just pushed securly to close it. There also looks to be the rubber seal around its edges that looks like it had been installed a little incorrectly like it was the wrong size (too big) ...how do your doors close?
Old 06-30-2009, 06:04 AM   #2
Rivet Master

2006 30' Classic S/O
Currently Looking...
Mohrsville , Pennsylvania
redhawkerII,
Both refrigerators in our '87 and '06 have the magnetic seals plus the plastic door catches. The plastic door catches are to keep the doors securely closed while the coach is in motion. if the trailer is going to be on a stationary permanent type site I would see no issues in removing the plastic door catches. But if you plan on pulling the trailer I would make sure those plastic door catches are installed and working properly or you may wind up with an unwelcome surprise when you reach your destination.
TAC PA-3
S/OS#042
AIR #14487
NQ3U (was KB3UOM)
DEITZ645 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2009, 06:06 AM   #3
4 Rivet Member

2008 16' Safari
Destrehan , Louisiana
No easy answer here. The original Domectic was all metal on the outside and would "catch" when the door was closed. It had a locking device for on the road. With a 1970 trailer, you may have a replaement refidgerator so it could be different from the original. Dometic changed the design over the years but always kept the same function.
The poorly installed door seal could be a real problem. This might keep the unit from closing and latching properly. This could allow the food to get to warm. What kind of shape is this refidgerator in? You may want to replace it with a new one.
dlb435 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2009, 07:48 AM   #4
Rivet Master

1970 27' Overlander
Espanola , Full Timer
Send a message via Yahoo to AIR-Quarius Send a message via Skype™ to AIR-Quarius
It kind of 'squeezes shut...it keeps pretty cool inside otherwise...but we have aquired the habit of first pushing it in at the top, and then with your foot push it in at the bottom. I did remove those plastic locks on the side, they had been installed with phillips head screws ,so I knew they didn't belong there...but there are two metal pin inserts that are original at both doors (upper right corners) fridge and freezer. ..and then I would like to add if any of you have the 'egg shelf' at the top of the door, and if you are not watching, you can forget the lift lid is up...there is a classic crack in the plastic that I glued shut from a previous owners mistake of closeing the door while it is raised....'CRACK!'......funny...but anyway thanks for your feedback.
Old 06-30-2009, 09:32 AM   #5

2015 25' FB Flying Cloud
2012 23' FB Flying Cloud
2005 25' Safari
Santa Rosa Beach , Florida
One time a couple of years ago, we started down the road without checking to make sure that the refrigerator door had clicked into the locked position with the safety latch.

Later in the day after several hundred miles on fairly smooth roads, we entered the trailer to find that the refrigerator door had come open while underway. Every last item that had been in the refrigerator was on the floor strewn from one end of the trailer to the other. A couple of items had somehow made it onto the bed. Several items had come open adding to the drama. It took us almost three hours to clean up the mess and another hour or two at the store to replace necessary items. We lost a half day of travel time because of this oversight.

We have ever since always checked the refrigerator door at least twice before getting underway.

Brian
WBCCI #3628 -- AIR #14872 -- TAC #FL-7
2015 FC 25' FB (Lucy) with ProPride
2020 Silverado 2500 (Vivian)
2023 Rivian R1T (Opal)
moosetags is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2009, 11:15 AM   #6
Rivet Master

1991 34' Excella
1963 26' Overlander
1961 26' Overlander
Central , Mississippi
Some people have discovered that the door structure has actually swollen and no longer fits into the fridge properly. The plastic portion of the door is filled with expanding foam for insulation, in some cases this stuff still grows years after the fridge is built - probably because we all leave to door open to avoid the dreaded dead animal smell of an unused, closed fridge...
Mine suffered from the ailment and the fix is rather indepth - you have to disassemble the door and remove slices of the foam then fill the gaps with caulk. The door has to be re-inserted into the fridge with some spacers to shrink the size of the plastic, allowing the caulk to harden and hold the door in a new, smaller shape.

Once dry, the door will close much better and in my case, allow the seal to touch the door, thus keeping in to coolness.

Years ago I saw a detailed thread covering this fix but it has dissapeared into cyber space.
HiHoAgRV is offline   Reply With Quote