Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Interior Restoration Forum > Refrigerators
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 03-17-2009, 06:11 AM   #1
2 Rivet Member

1983 27' Excella
French Settlement , Louisiana
Unhappy Help with fridge

I have a 1983 Air Stream 27 ft and the refrigerator is not working wright.The freezer is ok but the bottem does not even feel cool.I have tryed on gas and electric.It worked good last year.

Is a new one in the works or can I fix the old?
I think it is a 2214 any help would be great
Billy
housebg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2009, 06:19 AM   #2
Site Team

2002 25' Safari
Dewey , Arizona
Make sure the door is sealing all the way around. You can loose a lot of cold from a leaky door seal. Also you need to make sure that the venting from the unit is clear and not obstructed. If the heat generated in the cooling process can not vent out correctly, it will warm the unit.

Don't give up on the fridge yet...

Richard

Wally Byam Airstream Club 7513
azflycaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2009, 07:54 AM   #3
Rivet Master

1991 34' Excella
Princeton , New Jersey
The cooling unit is ALL ONE for the ref and freezer. You say the freezer is working. It may be cold enough to freeze water but a better check if you do not have a thermometer is to put some ice cream in the freezer. Ice cream requires about 10° to keep it hard.

If the freezer won't keep ice cream hard the ref. won't be cooled.

HowieE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2009, 09:28 AM   #4
Rivet Master

1994 30' Excella
Currently Looking...
Milwaukee , Wisconsin
Go outside and open up the refrigerator door. Carefully feel if you have heat all the way up your exhaust stack. This may be very hot so be careful. My guess is that you will feel intense heat only at the bottom and nothing as you move your hand upward. If this is the case you simply need to clean out the exhaust tube. This is an easy task with plenty of threads here to help you do the job.
Old 03-17-2009, 12:03 PM   #5
2 Rivet Member

1983 27' Excella
Another question I saw a small black conector on the low voltage line it looks like a fuse and power is not travling through it ,is it a fuse and if so what amp I may be able to hook back up the 12 volts while I am working on it.Is the exhast tube on the right side over the burner I am unfimilary with these
Billy
thanks ever so much for the help
Old 03-17-2009, 01:37 PM   #6
Rivet Master

1991 34' Excella
Princeton , New Jersey
Quote:
Originally Posted by housebg View Post
Another question I saw a small black conector on the low voltage line it looks like a fuse and power is not travling through it ,is it a fuse and if so what amp I may be able to hook back up the 12 volts while I am working on it.Is the exhast tube on the right side over the burner I am unfimilary with these
Billy
thanks ever so much for the help
If the ref. is operating at all you do not have a blown fuse. Fuses either work or they don't work there is no in between.

Yes the exhaust tube is above the burner.

HowieE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2009, 05:45 PM   #7
Rivet Master

1963 16' Bambi
1962 22' Safari
Yreka , California
I suggest you follow the advice above and be sure your exhaust is clear of debris (bugs, spiders, birds nests... yup, you'd be surprised!) then check to be sure your gas lines are good and no leaks. Check all the fittings and the orifice. If it still isn't working properly ~ you can do our old fashion fix if it is a gas problem. Remove the refrigerator from the trailer and "burp" it. (I know this sounds crazy, but it can work!) Turn it upside down for 24 hours to let the gas inside get rid of air bubbles.... turn it back on its "feet" and plug back in. Give it a few hours and see if it is cooling. Older gas units sometimes can be coaxed along this way. There have been threads on burping refrigerators on this forum, maybe there are better explanations somewhere...

You might check out this link to see if they have the service manual for your fridge online (I think it is a free download) http://bryantrv.com/docs.html If they don't you likely can find one somewhere online for free.

Good luck!

Mrs. NorCal Bambi traveling in S Tardis ~ from the Great State of Jefferson
My blogs: Yreka History
Siskiyou County Camping
CaddyGrn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2009, 06:19 PM   #8
4 Rivet Member

1963 28' Ambassador
Vintage Kin Owner
Northern VT , Vermont
All the above advice plus remove and clean the gas orifice at the burner. Just be very carefull they are delicate. Use solvent & air, do'nt put anything in the opening other than fine dia mono fish line. Or a cats whisker
putback is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2009, 02:58 AM   #9
2 Rivet Member

1983 27' Excella
Well help is no longer needed

I was able to get it up and running and found a strong odor so we all know what this means.I have priced the 2820 and I think it will work if anyone know a cheap place to buy, please send it to me.I live in south Louisiana and will drive 300 miles it needed .I will place a ad to give the old unit away when I have it out if anyone needs any parts off it.
thanks again for the help

Billy
Old 04-19-2009, 03:34 PM   #10
2 Rivet Member

1983 27' Excella
Have old one for parts if any one needs doors are good and maybe some other parts.Am headed to Corpus Christi Tx from Baton Rouge so I could drop it off some where along the way if someone needs it It is FREE Billy