Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-05-2013, 11:03 AM   #1
Airstream fanatic

1979 31' Sovereign
Bouse , Arizona
help!!! No Power on one side of trailer!

Yesterday, the power in the town I am in went out. The entire right side of my 79 Sovereign has no power whatsoever... the plug ins, the fridge, nothing. I have a Domestic RM100 My food is going to go bad if I don't do something!!! How can I make my fridge/freezer turn back on??? I followed the instructions in my manual and I put knob A on electric and turned knob G to 4, checked and rechecked the attachment plug on the back of the fridge, and hooked up a new cord on the back because the original one stopped working....

I've also flipped the breaker many times and unplugged the main electrical plug outside and plugged it back in... my plug-ins don't work either. The whole right side of my trailer is dead!!!

Help!

1979 Sovereign International (Olivia)
1986 F-250 4X4 (Oscar)
BLOG: https://grapesbigadventure.wordpress.com.
Grapes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2013, 11:06 AM   #2
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
Have you checked fuses?

Maggie
Old 04-05-2013, 11:07 AM   #3
4 Rivet Member

Belington , West Virginia
Check your fuses.
RBolton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2013, 11:13 AM   #4
Airstream fanatic

1979 31' Sovereign
Bouse , Arizona
Where is the fuses at???

1986 F-250 4X4 (Oscar)
Old 04-05-2013, 11:16 AM   #5
Rivet Master

1966 24' Tradewind
Placerville , California
You should have automotive type fuses near the battery box or nearby.

Neil
FreshAir #12407

Kirk Creek, Big Sur, Ca. coast.

1966 Trade Wind

1971 Buick Centurion convertible
455 cid

1969 Oldsmobile Ninety Eight
455 cid
FreshAir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2013, 11:17 AM   #6

2017 26' Flying Cloud
Alamo Heights , Texas
Run the Dometic on gas for now. Then you have time to figure out the issue with your 120V system.

So when you're plugged into the shore power receptacle at your campsite, you have 120V power from the receptacles down one side of your trailer but not the other? If you've cycled the breakers in the trailer (all of them, not just the main) with no effect, it may be that you (or an electrician, if you're not completely comfortable with this) need to replace a breaker and/or tighten the connections in the 120V panel in your trailer.

Zero Gravitas — 2017 Flying Cloud 26U | WBCCI# 15566

He has all of the virtues I dislike and none of the vices I admire. — Sir Winston Churchill
DKB_SATX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2013, 11:19 AM   #7
Airstream fanatic

1979 31' Sovereign
Bouse , Arizona
Okay I will try that. What fuse is it?

1986 F-250 4X4 (Oscar)
Old 04-05-2013, 11:19 AM   #8

2017 26' Flying Cloud
Alamo Heights , Texas
re: the references to automotive fuses: Isn't an RM100 just a bigger version of my RM75 and doesn't have a 12v connection, just 120v and propane? Knowing where the 12v fuses are is a good thing, certainly, but if the fridge doesn't use 12v and the 120v receptacles are dead it won't help with the problem at hand.

He has all of the virtues I dislike and none of the vices I admire. — Sir Winston Churchill
Old 04-05-2013, 11:28 AM   #9
Airstream fanatic

1979 31' Sovereign
Bouse , Arizona
Quote:
Originally Posted by DKB_SATX View Post
re: the references to automotive fuses: Isn't an RM100 just a bigger version of my RM75 and doesn't have a 12v connection, just 120v and propane? Knowing where the 12v fuses are is a good thing, certainly, but if the fridge doesn't use 12v and the 120v receptacles are dead it won't help with the problem at hand.

The plug works and it has power. For some reason the fridge/freezer won't turn on. It is a 120v. I just don't know why its not working if the cord has power and I've followed all the steps in the manual.

1986 F-250 4X4 (Oscar)
Old 04-05-2013, 11:39 AM   #10
2 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Uxbridge , Ontario
try plugging a light into the fridge plug to make sure its the fridge and not the plug... if plug that temp wire an extension cord to fridge to see if fridge starts
rjetsrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2013, 11:48 AM   #11

2017 26' Flying Cloud
Alamo Heights , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grapes View Post
The plug works and it has power. For some reason the fridge/freezer won't turn on. It is a 120v. I just don't know why its not working if the cord has power and I've followed all the steps in the manual.
OK, initially you reported that the entire side of your trailer is dead and hadn't said anything different up to now. Or are you saying the shore-power plug works and has power but half the trailer is still dead? As already suggested, plug a lamp in where the refrigerator plugs in and make sure as a troubleshooting step.

The RM100 is both electric and propane (assuming your propane system is working, of course.) Either way, it's VERY slow to respond even when everything is working properly, if it had time to warm up while the power was out it may take a while for you to tell that it's operating. The first place you'd notice it would be the bottom of the freezer starting to feel cold. I'm partial to propane operation because I can see the flame (in the little sight-glass prism on the left of the row of controls.)

It has an electric heating element above where the gas burner is (accessible from the outside locker behind the refrigerator.) When the refrigerator is working, either that heating element will be warm/hot or the gas flame will be on. A way to test the electric operation would be to have a meter like a Kill-a-watt inline to see if there's a current draw from the heating element.

Old 04-05-2013, 11:57 AM   #12
Airstream fanatic

1979 31' Sovereign
Bouse , Arizona
Quote:
Originally Posted by rjetsrick View Post
try plugging a light into the fridge plug to make sure its the fridge and not the plug... if plug that temp wire an extension cord to fridge to see if fridge starts
I have an extension cord that has power plugged into the back of the fridge.

1986 F-250 4X4 (Oscar)
Old 04-05-2013, 12:07 PM   #13
Airstream fanatic

1979 31' Sovereign
Bouse , Arizona
Quote:
Originally Posted by DKB_SATX View Post
OK, initially you reported that the entire side of your trailer is dead and hadn't said anything different up to now. Or are you saying the shore-power plug works and has power but half the trailer is still dead? As already suggested, plug a lamp in where the refrigerator plugs in and make sure as a troubleshooting step.

The RM100 is both electric and propane (assuming your propane system is working, of course.) Either way, it's VERY slow to respond even when everything is working properly, if it had time to warm up while the power was out it may take a while for you to tell that it's operating. The first place you'd notice it would be the bottom of the freezer starting to feel cold. I'm partial to propane operation because I can see the flame (in the little sight-glass prism on the left of the row of controls.)

It has an electric heating element above where the gas burner is (accessible from the outside locker behind the refrigerator.) When the refrigerator is working, either that heating element will be warm/hot or the gas flame will be on. A way to test the electric operation would be to have a meter like a Kill-a-watt inline to see if there's a current draw from the heating element.

The propane has not worked since we got the trailer. The electric worked just fine until yesterday. The heating element was warm earlier, but it is no longer warm. The I do not have anything to plug into the fridge cord.

1986 F-250 4X4 (Oscar)
Old 04-05-2013, 12:13 PM   #14
Figment of My Imagination

2012 Interstate Coach
From All Over , More Than Anywhere Else
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grapes View Post
Quick check of other possible causes…
1 - Is the refrigerator level? Not the trailer, the fridge itself. If it's not level, circulation in the cooling system won't work right.
2 - Is it fully charged with ammonia? If it's leaking, you'll probably see a yellowish powder somewhere on the tubing, close to where it's leaking.
3 - Is the venting unblocked? A blocked vent will prevent the unit from cooling.
Old 04-15-2013, 01:22 PM   #15
Airstream fanatic

1979 31' Sovereign
Bouse , Arizona
I got the fridge to work, but the plug ins in the living room and in the kitchen don't work... everything else does. What can I do?

1986 F-250 4X4 (Oscar)
Old 04-15-2013, 01:59 PM   #16
Rivet Master

1974 Argosy 26
Morrill , Nebraska
Check all of the circuit breakers in the 120 volt panel. Turn them completely OFF and then back ON.
With the circuit breakers off and NO power to the trailer ( unplug it) check for lose connections at the circuit breakers and the neutral buss (where the white wires connect) as well.
Look at all the outlets. Perhaps a PO installed a GFIC and it is tripped. I don't believe this coach came with GFIC breakers. But there may be a chance that someone installed one and it has tripped.
Good luck
TG Twinkie is offline   Reply With Quote