Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Interior Restoration Forum > Refrigerators
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 06-02-2007, 12:12 AM   #1
4 Rivet Member

1975 Argosy 26
Normandy Park , Washington
HELP- need fridge to light

I lit on gas for the first time 2 days ago w/ no problem. I leave tomorrow on the maiden voyaage and I try to start the frige and the following happens:

1-turn to gas
2-set temp to 4
3-pull out lever in fridge
4-push to spark and it does light (as seen through the glass)
5- I continue to hold the knob out for over a minute with the flame burning and as soon as I release the flame goes out.

Is this a bad thermocouple? If so, can I manually light it using a stick lighter?

Thanks

Dan
Dan S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2007, 07:14 AM   #2
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

Vintage Kin Owner
Naples , Florida
Dan,

It does sound like a bad t/couple. The job of the t/couple is to enable the gas valve to open when heat is called for. If it is not doing it's job, 'it is defective and must be replaced'.

Unfortunately, there is no shortcut around this, as it was initially designed as a safety feature.
lewster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2007, 07:43 AM   #3
Rivet Master

1991 34' Excella
Princeton , New Jersey
Before replacing the thermocouple remove and inspect the burner tube for a spiders nest. I have seen burner light for a second and then go out because something, a nest, is changing the shape of the flame and thus not heating the coupling enough to allow it to open the gas valve for full flame.

Also take a wrench and just brake the connection of the coupling to the valve and retighten it. If that connection is the slighest bit dirty it can change the current path.

HowieE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2007, 09:47 AM   #4
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

Vintage Kin Owner
Naples , Florida
Dan,

I assumed that your unit was clean. If it has not been serviced lately (yearly), you should dis-assemble the LP section and blow out the
LP feed tube. Take special note to blow out the gas orifice. If you're not getting fuel, it won't ignite. Also, a cleaning of the burner would be beneficial.

A clean burner is a happy burner.
lewster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2007, 10:45 AM   #5
4 Rivet Member

1975 Argosy 26
Normandy Park , Washington
OK, it was late when I posted this. After posting, I realized I should pull the knob harder to assure gas was flowing. I wasn't pulling real hard as I'm not sure how this is connected. Regardless, when I pulled harder, it lit right up. As of 9:40 this am it is very cold in there. The thought of having a refrige is awesome. My old Boler did not have one nor a bath, shower, heater,air,power,.....or room to stand up straight in.

We head out at 1:00 today for a local camp spot that will be the first camp trip in the "groove tube". I'm thinking about breaking a 40 oz bottle of beer over the tounge to send it off properly.(all talk)

I'll report back tomorrow with pictures.

Thanks for the suggestions of blowing out the lines.

Dan
Dan S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2007, 11:12 AM   #6
4 Rivet Member

1962 16' Bambi
Newtown Square , Pennsylvania
Good Luck! On the 40 oz beer, I suggest a ceremonial photo poised to break the bottle over the tongue, and then put the bottle in that cold fridge! You may be a bit parched when you get to the campground.
Have fun.
George
dudebb is offline   Reply With Quote