Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-20-2005, 07:36 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

HELP!! Bought new Dometic refrigerator--How do I remove the RM60?

I have a 1974 Trade Wind with the Dometic rm60 refrigerator. It works fine but my wife says she wants a new one. Well we bought a new Dometic rm2510 and now I need to remove the old and install the new. Sounds simple but I can't figure out how to get it out. I have removed the tambour door above the refrigerator and have loosened the cabinet top above the refrigerator on the right side but I cannot release the left side without getting the refrigerator out first. I can't find the screws that must be holding the refrigerator in place. Also--- the new Dometic is 1 inch taller than the rm60 it is replacing--cabinet alteration here I come. Now why did Dometic do that to me??? SOLUTIONS AND SUGGESTIONS will be greatly appreciated. Also the working Dometic rm60 needs a new home. I do not know its value. Thanks in advance for any help. Shelby
Shelby Copeland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2005, 10:21 PM   #2
Rivet Master

Aurora , Colorado
Shelby,

Try getting under your TW to look at the pan - to see if there are some holes, about 3/4", directly under the refer. The holes will probably have plugs to keep insects & critters out. Remove the plugs, and using an extension on your socket wrench, engage the nut holding down the refer. There is usually only one nut to undo this way, or maybe two.
Old 01-20-2005, 10:27 PM   #3
Rivet Master

Aurora , Colorado
Shelby,

Also, there will likely be screws through any neighboring partition or cabinet going into the sides of your refer. These can be just about anywhere, so you just have to be persistent to find them all. Even once you have all the screws and nuts and bolts out the refer will be stubborn to get out.
Old 01-21-2005, 12:51 PM   #4
2 Rivet Member

1985 25' Sovereign
Bremerton , Washington
Shelby,
On my 1985 Sovereign I had a Dometic frig that started acting up on me. So I made sure that the one I was about to purchase was able to fit in the same hole. While taking the old one out I found that it was held in place by screws going through the floor of the tambour cabinet above. They went into the top of the frig on the perimeter edge. I also had two screws hidden by a molding at the base of the frig interior of the trailer. Then two more screws in the base of the frig exterior of the trailer. Don't forget to turn your gas off prior to disconnecting the gas line. Also have some electrical tape handy when you disconnect the wiring. As you disconnect a wire, tape it up on the end to make sure that the hot leads don't short against the chassis or another wire. The manufacture may have caulked the frig in also. Amazing how that stuff can hold. Stanley knife to take care of that. Once I had the frig moving out of its hole in the wall, I placed a piece of carpet on my linoleum face down and used it to slide the old frig out and get the new close. Make sure you seal all surfaces around the edge of the new frig once you've got it installed. You do this to insure that gas can't get into the living area in the case of a leak. Fred
Fallman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2005, 08:12 PM   #5
2 Rivet Member

THANKS for the help. The rm60 is now out. It is all easy when you know what you are doing. I just didn't know what I was doing. I will have to modify the cabinetry for the larger rm 2510-- but-- that should be doable and fun. Again if anyone needs a working dometic rm60 refrigerator I have one that needs a good home in an Airstream. Shelby in Albuquerque
Shelby Copeland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2006, 10:17 PM   #6
3 Rivet Member

Vintage Kin Owner
colorado springs , Colorado
Still looking for a good home?

Hi Shelby,
I'm in Colorado Spring, Co, and looking around for a fridge for my 63 avion.
(oops I guese I'm out of the closet now )
The whole fridge and cabinet was missing when I bought it, so whatever the dimensions are I would be building a cabinet for it.
PM me if its still available and your asking price.

Thanks!
Dave.
volvophile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2012, 07:55 PM   #7

1963 22' Safari
Paso Robles , California
I'm having problems too in removing smaller Dometic from my 1963 Safari that I just bought. Any helpful hints on this unit?
neelxland is offline   Reply With Quote