Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Interior Restoration Forum > Refrigerators
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 09-03-2008, 10:34 AM   #1
1 Rivet Member

1972 31' Sovereign
Haskell , Oklahoma
heating element insulation

Hey all,

I just replaced the heating element in my dometic fridge from our 72 International ... a real messy, maddening job. Good news is the electric part of the fridge now works. Bad new is in the process I ruined some of the insulation that is packed around the heating elment and the pipes. I need to replace the insulation, but am not sure what is best to use.

Any thoughts?

Thanks,

Marc
flyingscot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2008, 01:29 AM   #2
3 Rivet Member

1970 31' Sovereign
Denham Springs , Louisiana
Marc,
Which model refer do you have? I just replaced the cooling unit in my Dometic 1303, andthe insulation there is some thing my old airstream repair manual calls "rock wool". It looks like fiberglass to me.

By the way, my reefer still does not work on AC and I suspect the heating element. What do you think? Where did you get your parts?

Greg
Old 09-30-2008, 05:01 AM   #3
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by gparker View Post
Marc,
Which model refer do you have? I just replaced the cooling unit in my Dometic 1303, andthe insulation there is some thing my old airstream repair manual calls "rock wool". It looks like fiberglass to me.

By the way, my reefer still does not work on AC and I suspect the heating element. What do you think? Where did you get your parts?

Greg
Reefer parts are available from a dealer that has many vintage parts, like us.

Andy
Inland RV Center, In is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2008, 02:54 PM   #4
1 Rivet Member

1972 31' Sovereign
Haskell , Oklahoma
reefer heating element

Hey Greg,

Thanks for responding. I ended up using regular fiberglass insulation and it's working fine.

I got my parts from a service place in Oklahoma City, But Andy at Island RV said he might have them. I've used Andy before and he's great plus he's really helpful on this sight.

If your reefer is working good on gas, and you've checked to make sure you have power to the plug in, it might well be your heating element. I think there are some other threads that go into more detail about checking to narrow it down to the heating element.

I did want to let you know what happened with mine. The heating element slips down into a metal sleeve that's welded to the pipes. In a perfect world, you could pull back the insulation, slip the heating element UP and out o the sleeve, replace with a new one and be good to go. But on my 72, perfect world hasn't happened yet.

On mine the heating element had corroded to the sleeve. I was able to pull it about 1/3 of the way up. And even though I used every kind of lubrication known to man, it was not coming out. So here's what I did. I cut open the front of the metal housing box so I could get to the bottom of the sleeve. I then took a screwdriver and hammer and drove the element out the bottom. Problem was that the bottom is one inch from another tube. So every inch, i had to hammer the screwdriver against the element (from the top) then cut off the protruding element end (from the bottom) with pliers, then do it again and again and again.

Good news is, it finally came out. I cleaned out the sleeve, put the new element in, packed it with fiberglass insluation, rivited back the front of the housing and WOW it works great. It worked OK on Gas, but with the new heating element it is perfect. We had looked into a new reefer, but no more!! Just got back from 12 days out west and food did great.

Hope this helps, let me know if there is anything I can do.

Good Luck

Marc
flyingscot is offline   Reply With Quote