Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-05-2009, 08:34 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Grain Valley , Missouri
Have you cleaned your coils lately?

Last year I while driving up Interstate 65 we came upon an older Winnebago with the whole side on fire. It was pretty obvious that the fire started in the back of the refrigerator. I wondered why but just summed it up as one of the hazards of traveling with the fridge on propane. However, I have a different slant on it now. I was preparing my old SOB for a future camp trip and was checking the back of the refrigerator. It looked clean and orderly with the exception of a spider that had decided to take up residence there. However, I saw a twig hanging from up inside the coils so I pulled on it. Twigs, leaves, plastic, and straw came down. I got a wooden slat and starting poking up where I can't see. More starting falling. I got on top and took of the vent cover and found more stuff. I kept poking and vacuuming until I had all I could get to. The pictures show the first round of crud that came out. I got an equal amount after I cleaned up from that round. I can't believe that just one bird could have carried all that stuff into the fridge. I, also, don't know how he got in there in the first place. Since this stuff is extremely dry and tinder, it wouldn't take much of a spark to send my MH into a ball of smoke. I suppose I could film it and put it on YouTube with all the other burning MHs.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_48772.JPG
Views:	137
Size:	214.4 KB
ID:	84973   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_48762.JPG
Views:	115
Size:	273.8 KB
ID:	84974  

QuietWater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2009, 09:04 PM   #2
4 Rivet Member

1978 Argosy Minuet 7.3 Metre
Dayton , Texas
Send a message via Yahoo to Alwhisman
Well,

I know one thing I'll doin this weekend!

Al
Alwhisman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2009, 10:13 PM   #3
4 Rivet Member

1962 22' Flying Cloud
Bend , Oregon
Holy S#@%^!
FLYNCLD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2009, 09:01 AM   #4
3 Rivet Member

2007 28' International CCD
West Hollywood , California
So, this mishmash of twigs was formed in short period of time by the productive nesting birds, or neglecting to check the compartment for years?

Edit: upon rereading, i now understand that the nest was formed at where you couldn't easily check visually. Thanks for sharing. I should watch out and poke out my vent (like a chimney).
Astroboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2009, 11:17 AM   #5
Rivet Master

2010 27' FB Classic
N/A , Texas
Quietwater, Good post, thanks for bringing it to our attention. For sure I'll be looking at that vent on my trailer now.
Bluto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2009, 11:44 AM   #6
3 Rivet Member

1965 22' Safari
Salt Lake City , Utah
Excellent info.
I need to replace the roof vent cap over my frig, I think I will add a coarse mesh screen over the vent to limit access to birds. There already is one over the floor air intake to keep furry creatures out of the bottom. One on the top to keep feathered friends out seems equally reasonable.
I guess us humans aren't the only ones that think camping in Airstreams is the way to go.
BWH
BWH-Utah is offline   Reply With Quote