Old 10-30-2003, 08:52 PM   #1

1968 17' Caravel
Battle Ground , Washington
Got my fridge repaired

My fridge refused to stay lit on our last trip, so I took it to RVPro in Vancouver, WA and had them take a look at it. Of course it lit right up for them and stayed lit. When camping, we couldn't get it to stay on after we let off the pilot button. They looked it over, made a few noises about how I might want to get it replaced since it was so old, and I whined about how I wanted to keep it vintage because it was a classic. They suggested some experimenting I could do to find out if the thermocouple was going out, involving heating it up with a torch. Finally I just said hey, if you think it's the thermocouple or safety valve, lets just replace them. I'm tired of living out of the cooler when we're camping.

So I got it back today. $350 was the bill, and they replaced the thermocouple, safety valve, and added an ignitor, so we can start it from inside the trailer (instead of trying to light it from the outside access hatch with a stick lighter while my husband holds the pilot button inside). Works pretty slick, and when they demonstrated it it lit right up and stayed on. I'm so happy! Now I can't wait to go camping again so we can try it out! I'm also relieved we didn't have to replace the whole fridge. We were talking to some other AS owners this weekend who had to replace the fridge in their '72 when they couldn't find replacement parts for it.

Stefrobrts is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2003, 09:19 PM   #2
Rivet Master

1969 31' Sovereign
Broken Arrow , Oklahoma
Re: Got my fridge repaired

Quote:
Originally posted by Stefrobrts
added an ignitor, so we can start it from inside the trailer (instead of trying to light it from the outside access hatch with a stick lighter while my husband holds the pilot button inside). Works pretty slick,
Now why didn't I think of that !!!!!!!!!!!!
Our's stays lit but I have to go out and light it while wife holds pilot button in.

Thanks I will install the ignitor ASAP.

Garry

Old 10-31-2003, 12:12 AM   #3

1968 17' Caravel
Battle Ground , Washington
They had two ignitors to choose from - one ran off a 12v wire, and the other ran off a 9 volt battery. I chose to go with the 9v, so they didn't have to run a wire over to the fridge. It works pretty slick, and if the flame blows out for some reason, the ignitor kicks back on and tries to relight it. Very cool.

Stefrobrts is online now   Reply With Quote