Old 07-03-2008, 07:46 AM   #1
PopHetzler

2003 34' Classic S/O
Troy , Ohio
Question Gas Refrigerator won't light

Could use some troubleshooting technics for a 1994 34' Classic Limited. Just got it and can't get the refrigerator to light. It works ok on the 110 but will not ignite when disconnected from the 110 VAC. Looks like a fairly new refrig (OEM). The technical instructions are a bit complicated with all the testing.

Regards,
Don Hetzler.

Old 07-03-2008, 08:04 AM   #2
Rivet Master

2005 28' International CCD
Willoughby , Ohio
We had essentially the same problem with ours and wound up having the control panel replaced under warranty by the dealer - it was only two years old.

It would try to light, we could see the little flame, but then it would go out.

I'd make sure that the propane burner tube is clear (use a pipe cleaner - spiders LOVE to make webs in them and block them off) and then follow the troubleshooting directions in the manual. If that fails, find the nearest Dometic (assuming that is the brand) dealer.

Best of luck and I'm sorry I don't have any better ideas for you.

2005 28' CCD, 2011 Sierra 5.3L, Equal-I-Zer
Empty Nesters - spending our money on OURSELVES for a change!
Steve & Susan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2008, 09:26 AM   #3
4 Rivet Member

1989 34.5' Airstream 345
boca raton , Florida
dometic on propane

Had the same trouble when I bought my 345 a few years ago. Found a dealer and had him check out the extronics. He could not find a constant problem. I finally purchased a replacement board for about $100. from Gator Electronics on the web and installed it myself. Has been working good for the last year+.
Old 07-03-2008, 09:53 AM   #4
Rivet Master

1991 34' Excella
Princeton , New Jersey
First off go to the back of the ref. and while there have someone turn the ref, on gas. Do you hear the igniter clicking? If so the control and igniter are OK. If not some dealer help may be necessary.

If you hear the igniter and still do not get a flame remove the burner tube and clear it of the spider next that is most likely the problem. If this is your problem and you want to keep it from happening again get about 10 mothballs and put them in a selfseal bag. With a straight pin poke about 20 holes in the bag and place it behind the ref. under the control board. The fumes from the mothballs will keep spiders from making a nest in the burner tube. Don't just put the mothballs in there unwrapped as they will melt in no time.

HowieE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2008, 10:33 AM   #5
PopHetzler

2003 34' Classic S/O
Troy , Ohio
Don't know if my last reply got there. Wasn't logged in. Thanks for the tips. Its been raining for a couple days. Outside is a mess. From the other posts it looks like I may have an igniter problem. Thanks again.
Old 07-05-2008, 10:45 AM   #6
PopHetzler

2003 34' Classic S/O
Troy , Ohio
No igniter action. I can see (from the board on the refrigerator front) that its trying to do something -- the lights shift -- but no dice on any clicking sound from the igniter. Guess I'll look at it first. Saw an old one in the parts box so maybe that's a recurring problem with these dometic units. Maybe I should get a big cooler. Thanks for the help and the tips. Don Hetzler.
Old 07-05-2008, 11:01 AM   #7
1 Rivet Member

1999 28' Excella
Fayetteville , Tennessee
99 Excella had same problem which was traced to igniter. New one less than $40 has been working every time but only have two months to go by. I would give it a try especially since you found an old one in box. And again that may indicate more such as control board. good luck.
Old 07-06-2008, 07:22 AM   #8
PopHetzler

2003 34' Classic S/O
Troy , Ohio
I guess I need to start looking for parts. DH. Thanks again.
Old 07-06-2008, 08:55 AM   #9
Well Preserved

1993 21' Sovereign
Colfax , North Carolina
This may be too easy an idea, but what condition is the battery in? If it's old, and weak, it won't supply enough power to the 12v circuit board to keep the thing lit.
Is this the same unit with the "alarm" light?
Old 07-06-2008, 09:53 AM   #10
Rivet Master

1986 25' Sovereign
Southern Middle , Tennessee
One more idea to check. Before starting my refrigerator, I always light one of my stove eyes to make sure that air has been purged from the propane lines. I then turn on the fridge. For the first time last year after changing out propane tanks, my fridge tried to light but then went into a default stage. No matter what I did, the igniter would not try to light. I removed the burner cover and saw that there was no spark jump while someone turned it on from the control panel. I lit it manually with a match and it fired up. I shut it down after a day of operation and it fired right back up when I tried it again. Careful with the manual lighting. I then learned that after a few tries when the "Check" light comes on, the Dometic will default. Anyway, my experience may be of some use to you.

AIR #0078
'01 2500hd ext. cab, 8.1 litre gas, 5 sp. Allison auto
3.73 rear end
Mag-Hytec rear diff cover
Amsoil Dual by-pass oil filtration system
Amsoil synthetics all around
265 watt AM Solar, Inc. system
davidz71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2008, 09:29 PM   #11
PopHetzler

2003 34' Classic S/O
Troy , Ohio
Hey, I'll give it a try. Thanks for the tip but I'm not exactly sure what you meant by "someone turned it on by the control panel". The only panel I see is the one inside the trailer (as opposed to something in the outside hatch) at the top of the refrig. If you could tell me the exact sequence of button pushing it would help. Best regards and thanks again. Don HEtzler.
Old 07-07-2008, 10:09 PM   #12
Rivet Master

1986 25' Sovereign
Southern Middle , Tennessee
Quote:
Originally Posted by Emh142 View Post
Hey, I'll give it a try. Thanks for the tip but I'm not exactly sure what you meant by "someone turned it on by the control panel". The only panel I see is the one inside the trailer (as opposed to something in the outside hatch) at the top of the refrig. If you could tell me the exact sequence of button pushing it would help. Best regards and thanks again. Don HEtzler.
My Dometic fridge has a control panel above the freezer section. There is an ON/OFF button then an AUTO/GAS/AC button in addition to a TEMP button. There are indicator lights at each area mentioned in addition to a CHECK light in between the AUTO/GAS/AC and the TEMP button/light. The sequence is to have someone push the ON/OFF button which illuminates the light by that button, opens the gas valve and starts the igniter sparking. As soon as someone tells you they have pushed the ON/OFF button, you should have a match over the burner. If gas is coming into the burner area then the burner should light. If nothing happens then you probably have a control panel problem. Be careful that you do not try this too many times which would allow an accumulation of gas in the compartment.

What my fridge was doing after pushing the ON/OFF button once was to show a light at the ON/OFF area and a light at the GAS button area but after 30 seconds or so the CHECK light would come on. This was letting me know that I should check the condition because the gas did not ignite. I was not hooked up to shore power so the fridge did not switch over to the AC.

If you do not have the Dometic refrigerator then I do not know what to tell you. Double check Overlander63's suggestion about your battery power. It doesn't take much 12 volt power to light the igniter but strange things have been know to happen.

AIR #0078
'01 2500hd ext. cab, 8.1 litre gas, 5 sp. Allison auto
3.73 rear end
Mag-Hytec rear diff cover
Amsoil Dual by-pass oil filtration system
Amsoil synthetics all around
265 watt AM Solar, Inc. system
davidz71 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
gas refrigerator, refrigerator, repair