Old 02-11-2016, 11:28 AM   #15
Overland Adventurer
1991 34' Excella
2009 34' Panamerica
Telluride , Colorado
I second the regulator issue. I discovered last summer that a newly replaced regulator was defective and providing far less gas than what it should have. After replacement, my fridge cools like never before!
I can literally freeze Popsicles in the fridge if I desire!

AtomicNo13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2016, 11:42 AM   #16
Rivet Master

2012 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Vintage Kin Owner
Virginia Beach , Virginia
Yo! Everyone - this is a 2002 22footer. Does your model have the little refrigerator that fits under the kitchen counter? If so the "chimney" if I remember correctly is a vent on the side of the Airstream - and two words

They will clog up anything in a New York Minute.

Get a big can of insect fogger, take the plastic vent cover off, grab the fogger and deploy it near the nest and run like crazy... Oops that's summer time version. They should all be dormant now, so just get your shop vac and suck out the daubers and nest and you could be good to go. If you don't see a nest the mobile guy would be my next choice.

Good luck and may the charge be low. Paula

Today is a gift, that's why they call it the present.
Foiled Again is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2016, 06:44 PM   #17
3 Rivet Member
2002 22' International
Austin , Texas
Here is what the technician did:

I had a mobile RV repair tech come by. He observed the flame I had. He removed the gas orifice, blew it out with compressed air. Pulled the bafffle out of the chimeny and said that was all clean. He measured the pressure at the frig and found it to be 11 inches. Then he adjusted the regulator up to 13 or 14 inches. This made a great difference. The frig started to cool just fine.

I paid $140 for the service.

But on my trip I notice one thing I never had a problem with: the gas will not stay lit while I go down the road. I used to be able to travel long distances and the frig would continue to operate. Not the case now. I guess the flame is getting blown out at highway speeds. Not sure if there is something to do about that.

I think I will order a manometer on the internet. Just to have around and to be able to periodically monitor the system pressure myself.
TankerIP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2016, 07:31 PM   #18
Rivet Master
1974 Argosy 20
2014 20' Flying Cloud
Kooskia , Idaho
Your service guy has raised the pressure too high, if he has set it to 13 to 14 inches of water. That may push more propane through a restricted opening, and make the refrigerator work, but it can also cause flame lifting from the burner tube, causing it to blow out when traveling far more easily. In addition, you may have other issues with the water heater and the stove.

The pressure needs to be set at 10 to 11 inches of water, and the real problem located, which I suspect is a partly clogged burner, or orifice. Just blowing the orifice out with compressed air probably will not clear it if it is clogged. It may need a soak in alcohol, or even replacement.

idroba is offline   Reply With Quote