Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Interior Restoration Forum > Refrigerators
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 08-16-2016, 12:07 AM   #1
1 Rivet Member

2016 23' International
Chicago , Illinois
Frig not working

My 2017 International with Dometic refrigerator is acting up. It won't cool. I've checked propane (full) but I'm usually on full hookups. All fuses and breakers are good. The thermostat is as cool ad it gets (slid to top). It's not hot here (Canada). I've just chucked out a full load of good food. Any suggestions? Thanks.
Drcrow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2016, 12:55 AM   #2
4 Rivet Member

1973 31' Sovereign
Middletown , California
Is the floor of the freezer perfectly level? When you look at the back of the cooling unit what parts are warm and what parts are hot? Does the boiler section (where the electric heating element wires go, above where the flame burns) sound like a coffee percolator? Obviously the refrigerant is not circulating or maybe the heat can't get away from cooling unit. The question is why not?
ijustlee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2016, 04:40 AM   #3
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Sag Harbor , New York
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drcrow View Post
My 2017 International with Dometic refrigerator is acting up. It won't cool. I've checked propane (full) but I'm usually on full hookups. All fuses and breakers are good. The thermostat is as cool ad it gets (slid to top). It's not hot here (Canada). I've just chucked out a full load of good food. Any suggestions? Thanks.
Welcome to the forum! Did the fridge ever work on electric alone, when you had shore power? Need to know this first IMO.

Did you ever feel the vertical tube above the burner, and the flue, get hot, either on electric or propane?

Have you checked the burner tube for spider etc. nests? Your owners manual may explain this or other threads here, for instance:

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f445...ng-137603.html
http://www.airforums.com/forums/f48/...ion-52295.html

Also not sure "up" on the slider is the right direction for cooler fridge. Will check and follow up later, as other threads discuss this.

Have you called the dealer? Sometimes they can help over the phone. Presumably they had the fridge working as part of your pre-purchase inspection of your brand new trailer. [edit 2016 or 2017 model? You have both.]

Good luck!

Peter
OTRA15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2016, 05:06 AM   #4
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Sag Harbor , New York
Thermistor adjusting. Yup "up" is cooler. Is yours on the far right fin? Memory device -- North is up thus cooler.

Old 08-16-2016, 10:40 PM   #5
1 Rivet Member

2016 23' International
Chicago , Illinois
Thanks all for your replies. I had a mobile rv repairman come (I'm in Vancouver BC). After hard worrying the unit, out was concluded to be the cooling unit not the control board our thermistor. In other words, I need a new refrigerator. It's being ordered from Dometic.
Drcrow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2016, 03:34 AM   #6
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Sag Harbor , New York
Thanks, is the new unit going to be covered by your warranty, I hope?

Peter