Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Interior Restoration Forum > Refrigerators
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 04-08-2018, 09:57 PM   #1
4 Rivet Member

2002 22' International
2019 25' Flying Cloud
Austin , Texas
Frig Fan Replacement and How to do Dual Fan

I just replaced my frig external fan with a new Silenx fan that seems to work very well, at least very quiet. Now I have several questions. Hopefully I can get some answers. From the forum posts I learned that the OEM Rodale fan moved the air at 105CFM. The Silenx has just 44CFM. Now I wonder if need to put in another fan to get enough exhaust, and will a dual fan installation still be quiet compared to the old OEM?

Looking at the posts in the forum I cannot get a clear picture of wiring the two fans for either series or parallel operation. Which is preferred? And, for instance, if the positive of one fan runs through the negative of the next; is that called series or parallel. I have not been able to see a wiring diagram.

One other issue I have is how best to eliminate the fumes when burning on propane. Sometimes the fumes are noticeable inside the trailer. I would assume a dual fan setup would help in this respect. Any other ideas?
TankerIP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2018, 05:18 AM   #2
GLCMRANGER - Sue

2016 25' International
Littlestown , Pennsylvania
Since the CFM was lower on the Silenx fan vs. the OEM fan, I wired 3 fans together in series. Then, I also put an on/off switch in-line in case you don't need the fans running if the refrigerator is off. I can't hear the fans running from the inside. If interested, I can send you a schematic later today (it's in the trailer).
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2911.jpg
Views:	144
Size:	254.0 KB
ID:	308256  
glcmranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2018, 08:18 AM   #3
4 Rivet Member

2002 22' International
2019 25' Flying Cloud
Austin , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by glcmranger View Post
SIf interested, I can send you a schematic later today (it's in the trailer).
Sure, thanks. I guess you can PM to me, if that works.
TankerIP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2018, 08:19 AM   #4
GLCMRANGER - Sue

2016 25' International
Littlestown , Pennsylvania
You bet...
glcmranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2018, 10:16 AM   #5
Johnnyooo

2015 23' International
Colrain , Massachusetts
I replaced the original fan with three fans in parallel, and it's still much quieter than the original..I can turn them off with the existing on off switch when their not needed...Combined they move more air than the original fan...
Johnnyooo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2018, 10:58 AM   #6
Rivet Master

2008 22' Safari
Spicewood (W of Austin) , Texas
Wiring them in "parallel" is the same as wiring them individually.

Wiring them in "series" is what you described as connection one's "positive" to another's "negative".

If you wire them in series...you will INCREASE the total CFM of air moved commensurately with the number of fans installed, IE, if you put dual fans you will closely double the CFM. (OK, engineers... don't get into technical details of air resistance versus volume of space please...I'm only trying to make this description simple.)

If you wire them in series.... each fan's speed will be reduced almost in half... In other words, dual fans wired in series will only see about 6 volts instead of 12 volts...so the fans will run slower thereby each moving less air than if they received full voltage. Wiring them in parallel will provide full voltage to each fan.... but will use more current (after-all...you're running twice...or thrice...as many fans at full speed.)

I installed two 12V computer fans in series and therefore they run at half-speed...but more quietly than if running at full speed. The PURPOSE of the fans is to encourage the warm air (created by the absorption method) to LEAVE the compartment. It only takes a bit of encouragement because warm air rises on it's own and congregates at the top of the compartment. The fan is intended to discourage stagnation of that air. Blowing 44 Cubic Feet per Minute (cfm) of air out of the compartment makes room for more cool air to enter the bottom ...drift upwards...be warmed by the evaporation fins...and exit the compartment. If you drastically increase the cfm of air moving thru that compartment...you reduce the amount of time that air has to absorb the heat to be carried away. (It's why your auto has a thermostat in it's cooling system ..even in cold weather...because if you move the coolant too quickly it cannot aborb the heat and carry it away.)
One fan is sufficient probably... but adding more fans pulls the cool air across more fins. Speeding that increased air flow will not likely do much more than drain your batteries more quickly (when boondocking, for example.) That's why I added a second fan (to increase the number of fins being exposed to cooling air) but wired them in series (to pass the air by those fins ...s l o w l y... both to allow the air time to aborb/remove the heat...and to avoid increasing my electrical current use.

Hope this layman's explanation helps.
Boxite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2018, 11:09 AM   #7
Rivet Master

2007 22' International CCD
Corona , California
From the 'overkill engineering' department:

Wire the fans in parallel--they work better that way. Consider using a fan that includes a temperature sensor to control speed--that way when it's hot in the fridge compartment, they will run faster and cool the area better. To put icing on the cake, add a set of switches, one per fan, to allow customization of the noise level...

Mount them neatly on a baffle mounted and sealed to the inside of the top door, to make sure they are actually circulating air out of the compartment, instead of just stirring it.

Add more insulation on the sides and top of the frige box to improve cold retention in warm weather.

Consider a small circulating fan inside the fridge to even out temperature, either battery-powered or wired to 12 volt power.

Make sure the factory installed (hopefully) baffle across the middle of the compartment is in place. Mine was a simple 4" wide piece of sheet metal caulked in place on each end. I think it fell out and landed in the bottom of the compartment when the AS was delivered to the original owner in 2007!! The replacement will have appropriate metal tabs bent from the replacement sheet metal and properly screwed to the sides of the cabinet area to KEEP it in place, directing air flow over the fins and tubing on the back of the fridge to improve efficiency...

Keep in mind that the absorption cycle fridges are not super powerful, so improving efficiency and insulation is key to making them work better...
2012 shortbed CrewMax 4x4 Toyota Tacoma TV with more antennae on it.
rmkrum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2018, 11:25 AM   #8
Rivet Master

2013 25' Flying Cloud
Wheaton , Illinois
I did almost exactly like glcmranger with three fans. But no switch. See this post for a picture of my installation.

The fans I purchased, Scythe Gentle Typhoon D1225C12B3AP-13 120mm came with 4 pin computer electrical adapters so I just daisy chained the fans using these adapters, essentially wiring them serially but electrically in parallel. I connected into the trailer wiring using a 4 pin computer power connector.

Greg
greghoro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2018, 05:14 PM   #9
2020 Globetrotter 25 FBT

2020 25' Globetrotter
Wildwood , Missouri
I’m not a EE, that will become very clear when I get this question asked. I’m finally putting in a can I bought a year ago. It’s a Silenx fan also, but it’s 76cfm vs the original at 105. Our refrigerator has never had a problem keeping anything cool.
My question is. Which wire is what and goes where? The fan im taking out has the two wires. The replacement fan has a stub with two wires and a harness with several and a couple of clips. Can someone tell me which ones go to which ones on my existing wiring?
Pics included.
Thx
These are the new wires.

Name:	IMG_0054.JPG
Views:	126
Size:	266.7 KB
ID:	308650
New fan mounted.

Name:	IMG_0055.JPG
Views:	148
Size:	287.4 KB
ID:	308651

Previous AS trailers: (04) 19’ Bambi, and (11) FC 23FB
GettinAway is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2018, 06:39 PM   #10
1987 Avion 34W owner

Vintage Kin Owner
Good Ol' , USA
I'd like to post this for your reference. It is a link to our Avion owner's site, and I installed some fans along with a nice, cheap thermostat. If you'd like, I can certainly make a separate thread here, and/or I would be glad to answer any questions.
They work great!

http://www.aviontrailers.net/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=342
PaulnGina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2018, 08:46 PM   #11
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Washington , Missouri
Try this link to post #711 on the 20 footers thread.

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f542...ml#post1774433

When om doubt, strip the 3 wires (one is a speed controller...the shorter of the 3 in my photo) and open the TV's hood. It can only work one way and will not work in reverse.

Here is my link to the post install eval.

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f542...ml#post1785587

Note Silvergate's recommendation of simply opening the ext. door usually is sufficient to turn off the fan automatically via the thermostat within 5 minutes.

Good Luck

Bob

p.s. I have since replaced the failed rubber screws that were OEM with the silenix. Burrs on the fram bracket wore thru. I have since suspended it like a trampoline with 4 springs and tossed the mounting bracket.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GettinAway View Post
I’m not a EE, that will become very clear when I get this question asked. I’m finally putting in a can I bought a year ago. It’s a Silenx fan also, but it’s 76cfm vs the original at 105. Our refrigerator has never had a problem keeping anything cool.
My question is. Which wire is what and goes where? The fan im taking out has the two wires. The replacement fan has a stub with two wires and a harness with several and a couple of clips. Can someone tell me which ones go to which ones on my existing wiring?
Pics included.
Thx
These are the new wires.
Attachment 308650
New fan mounted.
Attachment 308651
CruizinDux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2018, 11:17 PM   #12
Rivet Puller

2003 28' Safari S/O
Atlanta Burbs , Georgia
There many ways to use Silenx fans to boost cooling. Air movement is best on the "outbound" side of the blades and when mounted close to the heat transfer fins. I use four 2" fans wired in series that produce almost no noise whatsoever and included both a temperature sensing switch and manual override switch in the circuitry:

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f425...ml#post1320168

Sir Tristan
Air #48582, S/SO #003, WBCCI #4584
SeeMore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2018, 05:42 AM   #13
2020 Globetrotter 25 FBT

2020 25' Globetrotter
Wildwood , Missouri
Thanks! Checking out the links. I’ll see how this works. I may need add a second fan.

Previous AS trailers: (04) 19’ Bambi, and (11) FC 23FB
GettinAway is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2018, 09:26 PM   #14
Rivet Master

2008 22' Safari
Spicewood (W of Austin) , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boxite View Post
Wiring them in "parallel" is the same as wiring them individually.

Wiring them in "series" is what you described as connection one's "positive" to another's "negative".

If you wire them in series...you will INCREASE the total CFM of air moved commensurately with the number of fans installed, IE, if you put dual fans you will closely double the CFM. ....

I make a "typo" when I posted the info in bold above... I meant to post:
If you wire them in parallel...you will INCREASE the total CFM of air moved commensurately with the number of fans installed, IE, if you put dual fans you will closely double the CFM.

Sorry for any confusion.
Boxite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2018, 12:11 AM   #15
1987 Avion 34W owner

Vintage Kin Owner
Good Ol' , USA
Correct.... parallel keeps the voltage at each fan the same. So your 12V fans will still have 12V powering them. I have 4 fans in parallel and they move a good amount of air. That, along with the $5 thermostat and a $2 switch allow me to keep the back side of the fridge cooler than without, thus helping the efficiency of the fridge. I LOVE being able to walk by the vent on the side of the trailer and head the fans doing their job...... quietly. One of the best modifications I have installed!
PaulnGina is offline   Reply With Quote