Old 09-14-2008, 06:34 PM   #1
Rivet Master

1976 31' Sovereign
ozark , Missouri
Fridge worked last yr....

We have a 76 31' sovereign we bought July 2007. Last fall the fridge worked on gas and electric...You did have to set the knob kind of off the on position it seems. This year I have tried several times to get it to work and nothing! I haven't tried the gas but the electric isn't working. Any ideas beside replacing it?

76sovereign is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2008, 06:54 PM   #2
the biggoofball is mine

1973 27' Overlander
1972 Argosy 22
Currently Looking...
Currently Looking...
Beautiful Southern Connecticut , Gateway to NEW ENGLAND Unit
Broken Fridge -- makes great shoe storage

We have two vintage AS and both had working fridges until we took each on its first rally trip. Picnic coolers on wheels work in a pinch - one for food one for drinks.

Tried all kinds of things...horizontal fridge, turning the fridge on 2 to 4 days before leaving, replacement coils...nothing worked and the remanufactured coils weren't available for our model fridge.

My husband did a great job installing a new fridge in our '72 Argosy. There wasn't an exact replacement for the old Dometic but he got a new one installed and looking/working great.

Our '73 Overlander fridge is presently shoe storage. My husband posted some pix of the shoe storage if you're interested.
Will figure out the fridge replacement project now that the water is running and hot water heater is working. As of this weekend! Hopefully it will work on our next trip!

Be glad to answer your questions with more serious info...will refer you to my husband...he's a pretty helpful and handy guy.

The new fridge is sooo much better than the old one so I recommend replacement even though I am a vintage purist. From a practical perspective, replacement seems like the best route if you don't want to be trouble shooting your fridge all the time.

Gotta be creative and flexible with a vintage. And of course, a sense of humor is essential.

Good luck with your new project.

Allie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2008, 06:57 PM   #3
Site Team

1975 25' Tradewind
Dewey , Arizona
If it works on gas, but not electric, it could be a bad heating element. You can check it with an ohm meter and if it is open the element is bad.

Richard

Wally Byam Airstream Club 7513
azflycaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2008, 09:12 AM   #4
Rivet Master

1976 31' Sovereign
ozark , Missouri
Thank you for your input. I will check the operation with the gas on.
we are installing s new furnace so as soon as we can turn the gas back on we'll try that.

We are thinking of gettting a new fridge as soon as we can come up with the moola...it's always somethin.
76sovereign is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2008, 11:04 AM   #5
Site Team

1975 25' Tradewind
Dewey , Arizona
Getting a new fridge would be nice, getting one the same size as the old one would be even better.

Richard

Wally Byam Airstream Club 7513
azflycaster is offline   Reply With Quote