Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-31-2015, 10:52 PM   #1

2014 23' FB International
San Diego , California
Fridge won't work on LP

We have a 2014 23' FB. It has been stored indoors since our purchase in Nov of 2014. On our maiden trip today, the fridge will not work on LP. Battery is in use mode, propane tanks are full, stove lights and burns properly. When the fridge is turned on in auto mode, the check light comes on in seconds. I tried the suggested method of turning it off and on three to four times. I opened the outside access and checked the value. It is open. I have not tried it on AC as there are no hook-ups at the campground. I do have a 2000 watt generator available and could try it that way. Any ideas, or do I just have a problem that needs service? It is still under warranty. thanks for any advice.
jeffmimi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2015, 11:17 PM   #2
CRH
Rivet Master

1995 25' Excella
xxxxx , xxxxxx
Burn a stove eye a few minutes. It helps purge the gas lines of air.
CRH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2015, 11:53 AM   #3
Rivet Master

1999 28' Excella
Frederick , Maryland
I would first fire up the genny for a while and see if it starts to get cold. If so you can then begin to narrow it down. When I have problems like this (and it has happened a couple of times - I even carry coolers with me just in case...) it is quite often a dirty burner. Soot can fall down from the flue and clog it very easily as it only has a very small flame (kind of like a candle). That is where I would start (not with it hooked up and running on AC though!). Of course yours is new so it likely isn't dirty. But yes it will likely need to be serviced/checked out by a dealer. I think the fridge has it's own warranty and can be checked by any authorized dealer of that brand IIRC. CRH is right about firing up the stove, but it sounds like you already did that.
AM Solar Panels 150W - 2 Trojan T 105 6V Batteries

KC3MAP

On internet forums, please research and separate the wheat from the chaff (including mine!)
Soyboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2015, 12:09 PM   #4
Rivet Puller

2003 28' Safari S/O
Atlanta Burbs , Georgia
Another area to check is the flue. Sometimes a spider will enter and spin a web which will prevent the draft from flowing through the vertical tube (chimney flue). You may be lucky with a coat hanger inserted in the first few inches.

You need to be careful as there is a wire that drops down from the flue top on which there is a thin, twisted aluminum ribbon that causes just enough slowing of the draft to heat the chemical mixture in the small tube mated to the flue.

The proper way to clean the flue is to remove the refrigerator, then the baffle from the top of the flue, and use a brush similar to those used to clean rifle barrels. Anytime your trailer sits for long periods, the bug issue can arise. Your manual will mention this preventative maintenance and schedule.
SeeMore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2015, 12:35 PM   #5
2 Rivet Member

1978 Argosy 24
MooreHaven , Florida
Are you aware that these fridge units take several hours to get cold? Could it be that you just have not given it enough time? I usually turn ours on the day before we plan to use it,that way it is down to normal temp when we need it.
Old 09-01-2015, 01:20 PM   #6
Rivet Master

1974 Argosy 20
2014 20' Flying Cloud
Kooskia , Idaho
If the rig has been in storage for quite a while, and not properly charged, the batteries may be down below the point that the refrigerator will work properly. It takes a good 12 volt system to operate the controls and the sparking system for propane operation.

Just one more possibility as to why it will not light on propane.
idroba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2015, 10:16 AM   #7
2 Rivet Member

1973 27' Overlander
Talent , Oregon
Fridge won't work on LP?

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffmimi View Post
We have a 2014 23' FB. It has been stored indoors since our purchase in Nov of 2014. On our maiden trip today, the fridge will not work on LP. Battery is in use mode, propane tanks are full, stove lights and burns properly. When the fridge is turned on in auto mode, the check light comes on in seconds. I tried the suggested method of turning it off and on three to four times. I opened the outside access and checked the value. It is open. I have not tried it on AC as there are no hook-ups at the campground. I do have a 2000 watt generator available and could try it that way. Any ideas, or do I just have a problem that needs service? It is still under warranty. thanks for any advice.
Don't know about the newer ones, but I have a '73 Overlander which I replaced the fridge in and it didn't start up on propane either. I discovered that it has to have a 12V line to it to have it work properly, run thermostat . . . ignite. Just a thought.
Della is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2015, 10:25 AM   #8
4 Rivet Member

1991 35' Airstream 350
Austin , Texas
Correct..12VDC must be present to run the fridge on LP gas. I found this out the hard way after spending some $200 to replace the control board (from Dinosaur Parts) onlt yo find the problem was a blown 20 amp fuse on the DC circuit.
chriscraw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2015, 10:27 AM   #9
2 Rivet Member

2016 30' Flying Cloud
Truckee , California
Check the fuses!

I had a similar problem with not switching to Electric. After waiting 8 weeks for service appt. it turned out to be a fuse. BY THAT I mean an internal fuse inside the refrigerator. Not sure if propane system relies on a fuse but worth checking out. Fuses (2) were in small box inside the refer. Odd size fuses so now I carry replacement fuses for all items in the AS for the MANY inline fuses that exist. Such as refer, range hood, fantastic fans, water pump, trailer hitch lift and of course the ones I have yet to discover.
Thiatt55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2015, 10:35 AM   #10
2 Rivet Member

1969 21' Globetrotter
Calgary , Alberta
Silly, but obvious question...is your rig level?....LPG appliances like to be level to operate.
CDNCampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2015, 11:47 AM   #11
Rivet Master

2007 28' International CCD
Springfield , Missouri
Have you tried to light it manually? Open the access door on the outside and remove the flue small access door,Have one person inside to switch to on and one person with a lighter on the out side when they signal you light it (or you hear clicking)If it lights it should stay lit until you shut off the fridge.If this works you need a new circuit board.If under warranty have them replace it and order a Dinosaur circuit board ($100) as they are much more reliable than the factory circuit board keep the factory board for a spare.
You might check the fuse on the refrigerator circuit board also when you have the access door open.

I have had a board go out while boondocking and lit mine manually and it ran until I got home 2 weeks later.
Moflash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2015, 01:03 PM   #12
1 Rivet Member

2001 34' Limited S/O
1983 31' Excella
1976 29' Ambassador
Spruce grove , Alberta
Can you hear the DSI sparking when you select gas? Most will keep sparking for up to 3 minutes.

As stated before id try to light manually with a BBQ lighter and also verify the gas is turned on at the back of the fridge. Usually there's a valve in the line.
WW2GURU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2015, 01:39 PM   #13
2 Rivet Member

2013 16' Sport
Boulder , Colorado
This has happened twice to our fridge. After trying all the suggested fixes, both times we ended up taking it to the dealer to have a bad motherboard replaced ( under warranty). Evidently they are notoriously faulty.

Caroline
Seecue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2015, 01:46 PM   #14
2 Rivet Member

1969 21' Globetrotter
Calgary , Alberta
Have to comment again to the newer trailers...our 1969 fridge requires no power at all to run on LPG. Lights every time, gets cold fast and can still make ice. Wondering what made them decide to make them so technical?
Old 09-02-2015, 02:55 PM   #15
2 Rivet Member

1975 27' Overlander
LaVale , Maryland
Dauber wasp nests in the jet was what ours was.
Old 09-02-2015, 04:24 PM   #16
3 Rivet Member

2014 23' Flying Cloud
Rhinebeck , New York
Dear Jeffmimi,
Thanks for your post as it is a reminder that I may still have the same problem. We have the same Airstream; 2014 International Serenity 23'fb.

I had already replaced the original water pump after two one week trips of use last summer ($#&%) and on the first trip (and only) this summer we experienced your problems. I was parked in a State campground without hookups . We had problems keeping the refrigerator working. I intended to use the onboard gas system and if required back up with the batteries (generator/truck to recharge). WE have a new Honda 3000i. Well, I am still not sure why the gas didn't work. All I know is we selected gas/auto. What ran the refrigerator was likely the batteries as they showed red each morning. Generator was used/truck to recharge.

I admit to being a type of person that gets a bit rilled when this stuff happens which prevents me from being being very useful in determining what needs to be done, at least initially. I have limited knowledge of the unit's systems operation. We kept trying gas and again was never sure what was actually firing the refrigerator. Stupid perhaps??

Bottom line, I will recheck our Airstream tomorrow. I'll try igniting the gas system for the refrigerator from the outside as has been suggested assuming it doesn't ignite on it's own when selected. The next step is to take the Airstream to a nearby RV center.

Good luck solving this problem. I'll report our experience/solution.

Adam
Adam Geuss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2015, 05:44 PM   #17
3 Rivet Member

2010 25' FB Flying Cloud
Snoqualmie , Washington
Had this happen to us a few weeks back. Ended up taking at least a dozen times turning it on and setting to gas, then turning it off. also hooked up generator for a minute - just to make sure it worked. Did this over an hour (while looking for other causes) - and finally it just started. No problems any other time.
Anders79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2015, 07:33 PM   #18
4 Rivet Member

1967 26' Overlander
Spartanburg , South Carolina
Our '67 fridge is a ditto to CDNCampers'. They got technical, I think, trying to make them idiot proof so they can automatically switch back and forth as available power changes.
Jacob D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2015, 06:53 AM   #19
1 Rivet Member

Montrose , Colorado
Burner orifice

You probably already know this but if not, elevation matters a great deal on your gas appliances.

I ended up having to replace the water heater burner assembly with orifice to get it to work at 7,500 feet. Went down to talk to my trailer guru and he informed me that they were having a problem with ALL the new model REFRIGERATORS and there is not a replacement burner assembly for high altitude for the fridges. He said it is a matter of fine tuning the gas pressure regulator with the air flow depending on altitude. Not every camper lives at sea level and I do not understand why they set the appliances for sea level. Hope this helps.
VickieB68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2015, 04:36 PM   #20
2 Rivet Member

1969 21' Globetrotter
Calgary , Alberta
VickieB68 we have no issues with any of our LPG appliances at elevations. We have camped at 10 feet above sea level and the next day at 7500 feet and everything works all the same. Perhaps they need to start building the pre 80's appliances again. They just work! No moving parts...no battery required!