Old 09-02-2015, 02:55 PM   #15
2 Rivet Member

1975 27' Overlander
LaVale , Maryland
Dauber wasp nests in the jet was what ours was.

Britbat & the Shiny Beast
Britbat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2015, 04:24 PM   #16
2 Rivet Member

2014 23' Flying Cloud
Rhinebeck , New York
Dear Jeffmimi,
Thanks for your post as it is a reminder that I may still have the same problem. We have the same Airstream; 2014 International Serenity 23'fb.

I had already replaced the original water pump after two one week trips of use last summer ($#&%) and on the first trip (and only) this summer we experienced your problems. I was parked in a State campground without hookups . We had problems keeping the refrigerator working. I intended to use the onboard gas system and if required back up with the batteries (generator/truck to recharge). WE have a new Honda 3000i. Well, I am still not sure why the gas didn't work. All I know is we selected gas/auto. What ran the refrigerator was likely the batteries as they showed red each morning. Generator was used/truck to recharge.

I admit to being a type of person that gets a bit rilled when this stuff happens which prevents me from being being very useful in determining what needs to be done, at least initially. I have limited knowledge of the unit's systems operation. We kept trying gas and again was never sure what was actually firing the refrigerator. Stupid perhaps??

Bottom line, I will recheck our Airstream tomorrow. I'll try igniting the gas system for the refrigerator from the outside as has been suggested assuming it doesn't ignite on it's own when selected. The next step is to take the Airstream to a nearby RV center.

Good luck solving this problem. I'll report our experience/solution.

Adam Geuss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2015, 05:44 PM   #17
2 Rivet Member
2010 25' FB Flying Cloud
Snoqualmie , Washington
Had this happen to us a few weeks back. Ended up taking at least a dozen times turning it on and setting to gas, then turning it off. also hooked up generator for a minute - just to make sure it worked. Did this over an hour (while looking for other causes) - and finally it just started. No problems any other time.
Anders79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2015, 07:33 PM   #18
4 Rivet Member
1967 26' Overlander
Spartanburg , South Carolina
Our '67 fridge is a ditto to CDNCampers'. They got technical, I think, trying to make them idiot proof so they can automatically switch back and forth as available power changes.
Jacob D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2015, 06:53 AM   #19
1 Rivet Member
Montrose , Colorado
Burner orifice

You probably already know this but if not, elevation matters a great deal on your gas appliances.

I ended up having to replace the water heater burner assembly with orifice to get it to work at 7,500 feet. Went down to talk to my trailer guru and he informed me that they were having a problem with ALL the new model REFRIGERATORS and there is not a replacement burner assembly for high altitude for the fridges. He said it is a matter of fine tuning the gas pressure regulator with the air flow depending on altitude. Not every camper lives at sea level and I do not understand why they set the appliances for sea level. Hope this helps.
VickieB68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2015, 04:36 PM   #20
2 Rivet Member
1969 21' Globetrotter
Calgary , Alberta
VickieB68 we have no issues with any of our LPG appliances at elevations. We have camped at 10 feet above sea level and the next day at 7500 feet and everything works all the same. Perhaps they need to start building the pre 80's appliances again. They just work! No moving battery required!
CDNCampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2015, 05:11 PM   #21
Rivet Master
2012 25' Flying Cloud
Berlin , Maryland
I may be late to the dance however when this happens to me I do the following. First ensure u have propane tanks on (I know obvious) then light gas burners. If they lite then u know propane is flowing. I then turn the refrig on to LP mode. If the lite is not blinking I know gas is working for the refrig, if LP light is blinking I turn the refrig off for about ten seconds and turn it back on if light is still off I do it again. Other then that make sure no bugs are blocking anything
urnmor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2015, 05:24 PM   #22
4 Rivet Member
2015 25' FB International
I had this problem before and experienced on and off every time I took the ship out of storage. The common thread: When I go to storage I turn off and disconnect the LP tanks. When I reconnect, there is no gas in the lines so the fridge, in its infinite wisdom, thinks this means I ran out of propane and goes into lockout mode. There is no great fix to this other than to turn on the stove and fill the lines with gas. That doesn't help the air that's still trapped in the line by the fridge but eventually (3-4 attempted and failed starts later) it finally connects and lights. You may need to unplug the fridge outside to reset it. The manual says what to do once in lockout mode.

Can you hear the tick, tick, ticking? It's really quiet but if not, you probably have bigger problems.

chaseav is offline   Reply With Quote