Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-17-2016, 09:00 PM   #1
4 Rivet Member

2016 26' Flying Cloud
Southlake , Texas
Fridge won't cool on LP

First long trip in our '16 Flying Cloud 26u and fridge won't cool on propane. All other propane appliances work properly. I noticed a small brass knob just before the valve disappears behind the sheet metal and it appears to have the letter "off" cast into the brass. It will turn 1/4 turn but makes no difference. I do not see or hear a flame. I bought a cooler and ice to put cold stuff in. Before trip home I would like to get it working.
Bgibbs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2016, 09:02 PM   #2
3 Rivet Member

2023 25' Globetrotter
Manheim , Pennsylvania
Try switching to the other propane tank.
Jukeboxfun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2016, 09:41 PM   #3
3 Rivet Member

2017 30' Classic
Washington , Utah
Had the same issue. Turns out it was bugs or dirt in the burner area. Aftet mine burner tube was blown out with compressed air it worked fine. Technician suggested carrying a can of compressed air like those use for cleaning computers. Seems that it doesn't take much to prevent ignition.

Ron
RonaldC303 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2016, 06:02 AM   #4
Rivet Master

2006 23' Safari SE
I'm In , Kentucky
Do the kitchen burners come on? The first time you turn on the fridge it takes a while for the gas to reach the burner. Make sure you have propane, make sure the gas line knob is open, blow out the bugs from the burner area. You may have to reset the fridge a couple of times before it lights.
2004 4Runner SE 4.7L V8
Rich W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2016, 06:04 PM   #5
2 Rivet Member

2016 26' Flying Cloud
Bastrop , Texas
Fridge in 26U

We also have a 2016 26U and our fridge also heats up quickly. Our dealer replaced the doors but it still heats up to 40 - 44 degrees when it starts getting hot outside - 100 degree days. Overnight it cools down to 35 degrees. Was wondering if it was a design issue.
Tarcoola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2016, 06:10 PM   #6
4 Rivet Member

2016 26' Flying Cloud
Southlake , Texas
After being in the park for 3 days, it fired right up. Kept things cold all the way home. It indicates that it gets colder on propane. It indicated 35 deg all the way home (6 1/2 hrs). 100 deg as we got close to home.
Bgibbs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2016, 10:49 PM   #7
rvb
4 Rivet Member

1977 Argosy 28
Euless , Texas
Refrigerator not cooling on LP

We are currently on the road and our 4 year old Dometic refrigerator also isn't cooling on LP. It runs great on 120v and the pilot lights so it it probably a clogged burner orfice or similar. I will try blowing out the flue as suggested.

As a temporary fix, I bought one bag of ice. I filled (6) 1 gallon ziplock bags (double bagged) and put 2 on top of the food in the freezer and 4 in the refrig. box. One on each side, one on the top shelf and one in the lower drawer with the food in the middle. After 5 hours driving, the inside of the trailer was 95 degrees but the food drinks were cold, very little ice had melted and I could hook up to electric at the next campground. I turned the temp. to the highest setting (5) and put the partially melted bags in the freezer and the freezer bags in the refrig. In the morning the refrig box read 33 degrees and the ice in the freezer was frozen solid so I iced it down again for the next days drive. It is working great as an on the road temporary fix.
rvb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2016, 06:39 PM   #8
rvb
4 Rivet Member

1977 Argosy 28
Euless , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by RonaldC303 View Post
Had the same issue. Turns out it was bugs or dirt in the burner area. Aftet mine burner tube was blown out with compressed air it worked fine. Technician suggested carrying a can of compressed air like those use for cleaning computers. Seems that it doesn't take much to prevent ignition.

Ron
I blew out the burner tube and a lot of dirt came out and the burner fired right up. Thanks RonaldC303
Old 06-22-2016, 07:31 AM   #9
2 Rivet Member

2013 23' Flying Cloud
Naples , Florida
Same issue.....but my Dometic manual did not suggest clearing the burner tube. I'm a rube (and skittish about propane)...can some kind soul give me a safe 1,2,3 on how to do it?
I have tried the other fixes.....
Thanks!
Barretta2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2016, 11:33 PM   #10
rvb
4 Rivet Member

1977 Argosy 28
Euless , Texas
cleaning burner flue tube with air

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barretta2 View Post
Same issue.....but my Dometic manual did not suggest clearing the burner tube. I'm a rube (and skittish about propane)...can some kind soul give me a safe 1,2,3 on how to do it?
I have tried the other fixes.....
Thanks!
Mine is a fairly recent manufactured refrigerator.
The gas heater assembly is at the bottom right and the burner is on the right side in the flue assembly that goes vertically up the right side. The layout is: gas line goes to the gas control valve with wires to the right of center of the refrig. Then the gas orfice which has a small opening the gas comes out of, air gap in the tube then the horizontal tube running into the flue.

Here are the steps I used:
1. Turn the refrigerator off.
2. Open access door behind refrigerator.
3. remove 3 screws and take off wind shield at flue on the right. You may or may not have this or need to take this off.
4. Using a can of computer air spray (heavy duty $4.95 at Walmart in the electronics dept.) insert the plastic spray tube into the air gap pointing toward the flue and spray air. Do this until you quit getting dirt and debris out.
5. Turn the refrigerator on LP gas setting.
6. Look at and listen to the burner. It should have the same "roar" as the water heater makes when it is on. If dark, you can see the glow of the burner running in the flue. Don't spray the air into the flue while the burner is running or you will get flame out the sides and bottom. Don't ask.
7. Screw the burner wind screen back on and close the access door.

If blowing out the flue does not fix it, the next step is to remove the orfice and soak it in solvent. Do not try to use a piece of wire to clean it out. I have read that some units have a synthetic sapphire with fine hole in the center to control the flow and you can break that off with a wire.

Good luck.
Old 06-23-2016, 03:30 AM   #11
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Sag Harbor , New York
Spiders like to build nests in the burner tubes of both the fridge and water heater. Had to clean out one already this spring. Easy to blow out both at the same time as spring cleaning, plus small bottle brush as needed and depending on model.
OTRA15 is offline   Reply With Quote