Old 04-01-2014, 08:22 PM   #1
3 Rivet Member

1953 21' Flying Cloud
Wentzville , Missouri
Fridge venting

I am starting the curb side build on my 53 FC and part of this is the fridge. The camper was a park model and never had a LP fridge. I am getting ready to build the cabinets and install a RM 2454 dometic which is both LP and 110. My problem is venting for the LP, since it never had a vent I am not sure how to go about building one. The fridge must sit on a pedestal because of the wheel well, I can still do a hole in the floor but it won't be rite under the back of the fridge, more to the center. I was told I could use two vented access doors and cut holes in the skin, one vent at the bottom of the opening and one at the top. The fridge is only 36 inches tall and sits on a 15 inch tall box.
Would anyone have any hints on the best way for me to build this vent that never existed? Has anyone done it? Pictures would be great to see if you have built one. Thank you

Old 04-02-2014, 05:44 PM   #2
3 Rivet Member

1953 21' Flying Cloud
Wentzville , Missouri
Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByAirstream Forums1396482114.761689.jpg
Views:	42
Size:	681.1 KB
ID:	208859Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByAirstream Forums1396482150.300823.jpg
Views:	39
Size:	734.8 KB
ID:	208860
The black trey is where the fridge will go, you can see that I need to be that high off the floor to clear the wheel well. I am hopping pictures will help trigger any ideas.

Old 04-02-2014, 07:43 PM   #3
4 Rivet Member

1961 22' Safari
Union , Oregon
I put a LP / 120 volt fridge in my '49 Boles a couple of years ago to replace an icebox. I used the 2 vented access door method. I, too, had the same problem building in the fridge over the wheel well. The 2 doors were not hard at all to install once you get over the fear of cutting big holes in your trailer. The install has worked quite well, even to keeping ice cream much too cold for easy scooping. Just make sure your upper door is high enough to promote good convection air currents and the cabinet is well sealed to prevent combustion gasses from entering the living area. Be sure the doors are large enough to provide the needed ventilation. And................. a working CO detector is a must! Waking up dead is not a favorable option when trying to save a few dollars.
Sam
Old 04-03-2014, 06:32 PM   #4
3 Rivet Member

1953 21' Flying Cloud
Wentzville , Missouri
Quote:
Originally Posted by samb View Post
I put a LP / 120 volt fridge in my '49 Boles a couple of years ago to replace an icebox. I used the 2 vented access door method. I, too, had the same problem building in the fridge over the wheel well. The 2 doors were not hard at all to install once you get over the fear of cutting big holes in your trailer. The install has worked quite well, even to keeping ice cream much too cold for easy scooping. Just make sure your upper door is high enough to promote good convection air currents and the cabinet is well sealed to prevent combustion gasses from entering the living area. Be sure the doors are large enough to provide the needed ventilation. And................. a working CO detector is a must! Waking up dead is not a favorable option when trying to save a few dollars.
Sam

Thank you Sam, I was hoping I could do it that way. I am going to a rally in a week so I will be nosing around and taking pics.
Old 04-03-2014, 07:45 PM   #5
Rivet Master

1959 26' Overlander
Western , Massachusetts
samb is right, you absolutely want to seal the compartment like your life depends on it.

Since you're so high up off the floor and you plan to have two panels, you may not generate enough chimney effect to make the refer run efficiently. You'll find that a number of people have improved efficiency by adding 12v computer fans to help the exhaust along. They are placed high in the exhaust vent. With a switch, you can control when you run them. If I remember correctly, they are needed more in hot weather, which makes perfect sense.

If you want more of a chimney effect, you can use one of the refrigerator vents like this. It also requires a roof vent, which is hard to find in your vintage, but can be made to look really good. With the taller stack, you shouldn't need fans.