Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-23-2013, 01:39 PM   #1
Ahem, yasss ...kaff-kaff

1969 27' Overlander
Bloomington , Indiana
Fridge too cold & Freezer door ?

I'm just about finished with Betty's interior re-hab (I'll post pics soon) and I remembered last year the fridge would get too cold and sometimes freeze stuff. Searching this question I saw mention of moving a clamp on the thermocouple to adjust the temperature but don't see one on mine. I suspect the thermocouple is bad but before getting a new one I thought I'd ask. Also, is there a procedure for rewinding the springs on the freezer door? I took it off to get the gunky seal clean and it un-sprong!

Thanks,

Egad!

ps. the pic is obviously sideways...can't seem to rotate properly
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	photo.JPG
Views:	162
Size:	80.0 KB
ID:	186381  
egad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2013, 09:27 PM   #2
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
1989 34.5' Airstream 345
Cleveland , Tennessee
The clamp you're speaking of is a little white plastic clip. I have an extra one from a Dometic fridge if you need it. Just PM me with your address.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	100_7814.jpg
Views:	122
Size:	165.5 KB
ID:	187037  

AIR 22749 WBCCI 2349 NOVA TAC TN-6
1989 345 LE Classic Motorhome
3 Dog Nite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2013, 07:04 AM   #3
Rivet Master

2008 25' Classic
Full Time , Texas
Don't fix it too good, then you'll be like the rest of complaining the fridge doesn't get cold enough.

Kelvin
KJRitchie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2013, 07:43 AM   #4
Rivet Master

2013 25' FB Flying Cloud
2011 23' FB Flying Cloud
Branson , Missouri
Quote:
Originally Posted by egad View Post
I'm just about finished with Betty's interior re-hab (I'll post pics soon) and I remembered last year the fridge would get too cold and sometimes freeze stuff. Searching this question I saw mention of moving a clamp on the thermocouple to adjust the temperature but don't see one on mine. I suspect the thermocouple is bad but before getting a new one I thought I'd ask. Also, is there a procedure for rewinding the springs on the freezer door? I took it off to get the gunky seal clean and it un-sprong!

Thanks,

Egad!

ps. the pic is obviously sideways...can't seem to rotate properly

I had the spring do the same thing.

I don't have a PDF instruction sheet, but basically you go through a reverse installation, if that makes any sense.

https://www.pbase.com/murreywalker

2011 23 FC FB
murreywalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2013, 07:49 AM   #5
1 Rivet Member

Minneapolis , Minnesota
Our fridge is always cold to - what is the function of the clip - if the sensing unit where bad wouldn't the fridge be warm? Thanks
loons2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2013, 08:43 AM   #6
Rivet Master

2013 25' FB Flying Cloud
2011 23' FB Flying Cloud
Branson , Missouri
Quote:
Originally Posted by loons2 View Post
Our fridge is always cold to - what is the function of the clip - if the sensing unit where bad wouldn't the fridge be warm? Thanks
The clip holds the sensing unit/wire at its highest point in the refrigerator.

https://www.pbase.com/murreywalker

2011 23 FC FB
murreywalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2013, 09:47 AM   #7
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

Vintage Kin Owner
Naples , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by loons2 View Post
When your 'sensing unit', called a thermister goes bad, it depends on how it failed. If it failed in the open position, it will cause the board that operates the cooling unit to run wide open, this creating a potential freezing situation in your fridge section.

If it fails in the closed position, it will do the reverse and essentially turn off the unit causing it to warm up.

The thermister changes it's resistance relative to the internal temp of the fridge and sends that resistance value to the control board, which then either runs the heating section of the cooling unit or shuts it down. There are ways to test your thermister at varying temperatures. Check with your operations manual for details, call the fridge manufacturer tech support line or find a qualified RV tech who is well versed on this subject to do the test.
lewster is offline   Reply With Quote