Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-01-2005, 02:20 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

1975 27' Overlander
Longview , Texas
Fridge Thermostat or Thermocouple.

Guys,
How hard is it to replace a thermocouple and thermostat in a 1974 Dometic? If it can be done, what is part #? My model and serial number plate are gone from the fridge. I'm tired of everything being frozen solid every morning. Have tried all settings on knobs but nothing changes. I give it a couple of days after each knob adjustment. So I guess it's the thermocouple and thermostat. Maybe one or the other but while I'm there might as well do em both.

Thanks, Scotty
ssww is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2005, 02:51 PM   #2
Patriotic

1973 23' Safari
North of Boston , Massachusetts
I'm no expert, but my understanding is that a thermocouple only keeps the gas flowing to the pilot light and burner; it has nothing to do with the operation of the burner flame, which is what controls the temp of the fridge. If the pilot should blow out for any reason, the thermocouple cools off and shuts off the gas valve. If your fridge keeps running so much that it freezes stuff, that means your thermocouple is working.

don't know how hard it is to replace the thermostat.
'00 Dodge Ram 1500 4x4 QC
Chuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2005, 09:55 PM   #3
2 Rivet Member

1975 27' Overlander
Longview , Texas
Chuck,
Thanks for reply. It dawned on me today while driving down the road that a thermocouple is for gas operation. I guess I don't know if it works or not. I have never run the fridge on gas. i think my problem is thermostat. I am going to try to go to Dometic web-site to see if they can help. That is if they have a web-site.

Thanks again, Scotty
ssww is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2006, 11:35 AM   #4
1 Rivet Member

1969 25' Tradewind
1964 19' Globetrotter
Chittenden , Vermont
Dometic Thermostat hunt...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ssww11
Chuck,
Thanks for reply. It dawned on me today while driving down the road that a thermocouple is for gas operation. I guess I don't know if it works or not. I have never run the fridge on gas. i think my problem is thermostat. I am going to try to go to Dometic web-site to see if they can help. That is if they have a web-site.

Thanks again, Scotty
Scotty,
I've got a 1969 Dometic fridge in my AS that needs a thermostat as well. Let me know if you have luck finding one. My problem was similar... 3 days and it becomes a freezer.
Thank you.
Dave, VT
AirstreamVT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2006, 01:52 PM   #5
2 Rivet Member
Commercial Member

Currently Looking...
east stroudsburg , Pennsylvania
Quote:
Originally Posted by AirstreamVT
Scotty,
I've got a 1969 Dometic fridge in my AS that needs a thermostat as well. Let me know if you have luck finding one. My problem was similar... 3 days and it becomes a freezer.
Thank you.
Dave, VT
whats the model number, I can probley get you one
RV_cool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2006, 01:53 PM   #6
2 Rivet Member
Commercial Member

Currently Looking...
east stroudsburg , Pennsylvania
Quote:
Originally Posted by ssww11
Guys,
How hard is it to replace a thermocouple and thermostat in a 1974 Dometic? If it can be done, what is part #? My model and serial number plate are gone from the fridge. I'm tired of everything being frozen solid every morning. Have tried all settings on knobs but nothing changes. I give it a couple of days after each knob adjustment. So I guess it's the thermocouple and thermostat. Maybe one or the other but while I'm there might as well do em both.

Thanks, Scotty
any idea what model number it is? send a pic of the bottom rear of the fridge and I can probley ID it. Most likely can find you a tstat
RV_cool is offline   Reply With Quote