Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Interior Restoration Forum > Refrigerators
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 07-12-2012, 08:16 AM   #1
1 Rivet Member

2006 16' International CCD
Ontario , California
Fridge on 110 V

Had a question regarding powering the refrigerator in our '06 Bambi on 110 V.
We've always camped at no hook-up sites and used the propane to power the fridge. Well, I plugged it in at home to charge it, turned the fridge on to the AUTO setting and it would not cool. The propane tanks were empty.
So, do the propane tanks need to be full even when operating on 110 V?
Chad J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2012, 08:31 AM   #2
Rivet Master

1974 Argosy 20
2014 20' Flying Cloud
Kooskia , Idaho
No, the propane tanks do not have to be full to run it on 120 volts. However, if your batteries were dead or very low the 12 volt electronics to run the valves and relays might not have been getting a high enough voltage to operate them, and thus no 120 volt cooling. This is the only possibility I can think of, other than a defective 120 volt heating element.

Oh, of course the outlet and circuit the refrigerator is plugged into must be getting power. Are all the circuits working properly?
idroba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2012, 07:56 AM   #3
1 Rivet Member

Ontario , California
Trailer is plugged in to household current, gotta fully charged battery, propane turned off and the switch set to AUTO but the CHECK light keeps coming on. I can hear the pilot clicking and trying to ignite.
Old 07-13-2012, 08:42 AM   #4
Contributing Member

2018 Interstate Grand Tour Ext
Austin (Hays County) , Texas
You are probably not getting 120v to the refrigerator . The check light and ignition only occur when the electronics in the refrigerator do not sense 120v.

The problem could be a popped breaker or possibly the refrigerator has come unplugged from the AC outlet. Try unplugging the refrigerator and plugging a lamp into the socket. If the lamp does not light, then it is the breaker or a wiring problem. If the lamp lights, then the electronics in the refrigerator may be at fault.
WBCCI #9632
Pahaska is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2012, 08:52 AM   #5
Rivet Master

2006 23' Safari SE
Holly Lake Ranch , Texas
How long did you let it run for?

Chad?

How long did you let it sit on 110V before deciding it wouldn't cool?

I know on our 2006 it takes at least 4 hours for either gas or electric to start cooling.

I was suspicious because i pretty much rely on propane on the road to keep it cool, but prior to our last trip we had Thumper home for an extra day, so i plugged it into shore and turned the gas off and had put it on auto and by the next morning it was cold and freezer was freezing.

so sometimes it can be a function of how long you let it run.

Dana
Goal15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2012, 09:36 AM   #6
1 Rivet Member

Ontario , California
It was plugged in for at least 4 hrs...but the CHECK light comes on after a few mins. Am I right that it's not gonna come on if the CHECK light is on?
Old 07-13-2012, 09:46 AM   #7

2017 26' Flying Cloud
Alamo Heights , Texas
If you confirm that there is 120v power to the refrigerator and it's still trying to use the propane system, verify that the control board is working properly. Lots of people with those newfangled auto-switching fridges end up running aftermarket boards for greater reliability.

Zero Gravitas — 2017 Flying Cloud 26U | WBCCI# 15566

He has all of the virtues I dislike and none of the vices I admire. — Sir Winston Churchill
DKB_SATX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2012, 12:14 PM   #8
Rivet Master

1998 31' Excella 1000
1979 23' Safari
Mooresville , Indiana
Correct the check light means the fridge is not working. For it to work on 120V it does need 12V Battery power, but if the check light is coming on then you do have 12V power to the fridge. But it does sound like the fridge doesn't know it's plugged into 120V AC power, so either it's not plugged in or a fuse or breaker could be blown. Check the back of your fridge and test the 120V AC outlet for power.

It could be a bad control board but usually it works or doesn't.

Damon
damonbeals is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2012, 01:32 PM   #9
1 Rivet Member

Ontario , California
Thanks all. Will check after work today.
Old 07-13-2012, 01:42 PM   #10
Rivet Master

2012 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Vintage Kin Owner
Virginia Beach , Virginia
Also DO try to switch from AUTO to ELECTRIC - just in case the "AUTO" switch is shot.

Do the inexpensive easy stuff FIRST.

Circuit breakers often look like they are on when they've flipped. To reset a breaker you must push it all the way down - to the OFF position, then turn back ON.

Paula
Old 07-14-2012, 10:14 AM   #11
1 Rivet Member

Ontario , California
Ok, dumb question.
Where the heck are the breakers in this thing?
Old 07-14-2012, 11:28 AM   #12
Rivet Master

2005 19' Safari
GLENDALE , AZ
110-volt circuit breakers and 12-volt fuses are located in the converter panel. I'm unfamiliar with the 16-foot Airstream, but most likely there is a black box about a foot square located near the floor, beneath a closet or cabinet door that has at least 6-12 inches of clearance (in depth) from the wall.

There is a little, square 1/4-turn fastener that unlocks the converter door. It may take a little jiggling to get it open after turning the fastener 1/4 turn. The breakers and fuses are inside the cover.
Phoenix is offline   Reply With Quote