Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Interior Restoration Forum > Refrigerators
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 10-28-2018, 03:10 PM   #1
4 Rivet Member

2019 25' Flying Cloud
Tucson , Arizona
Fridge OFF But Still Cold?!

Howdy,

I was at my 2019 Sport 22FB today and noticed that while the 'Fridge is certainly off it is a bit cool.

Plus I'm in AZ and we have had plenty of 90°+ days since I'm sure it was off. I had left it on for a while but sure it's been off for at least 3-4 weeks.

I noticed my battery was down to 40% too (I have factory solar).

I turned off the power with the switch and will see next time I visit but is there some sort of parasitic charge via the Fridge?

Thanks,

Rounder44
Rounder44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2018, 05:40 PM   #2
Site Team

2002 25' Safari
Dewey , Arizona
The heating of the ammonia in the cooling unit is what creates the cooling of the refrigerator. When I lived in Phoenix the freezer walls were cold during the summer from the heat on the cooling unit. My thinking is that the heat is causing the refrigerator to cool.

Richard

Wally Byam Airstream Club 7513
azflycaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2018, 11:09 AM   #3
4 Rivet Member

2019 25' Flying Cloud
Tucson , Arizona
Quote:
Originally Posted by azflycaster View Post
The heating of the ammonia in the cooling unit is what creates the cooling of the refrigerator. When I lived in Phoenix the freezer walls were cold during the summer from the heat on the cooling unit. My thinking is that the heat is causing the refrigerator to cool.
That's pretty crazy!

It has been warm but not summertime hot.

In fact a lot of cool days and in the 70's-80's recently But I suppose even a few hours could activate it if this is the cause.

Thanks,

R44
Old 10-29-2018, 02:00 PM   #4
Airstream Ambassador

Jackson Center , Ohio
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rounder44 View Post
Howdy,

I was at my 2019 Sport 22FB today and noticed that while the 'Fridge is certainly off it is a bit cool.

Plus I'm in AZ and we have had plenty of 90°+ days since I'm sure it was off. I had left it on for a while but sure it's been off for at least 3-4 weeks.

I noticed my battery was down to 40% too (I have factory solar).

I turned off the power with the switch and will see next time I visit but is there some sort of parasitic charge via the Fridge?

Thanks,

Rounder44
Hi Rounder44,*

We're very sorry to learn about the issue you are having. Please send us a direct message with your contact information and the last 6 digits of your VIN so we can share it with our Customer Service and Technical Support team. We look forward to helping you get this resolved.

Thank you.*
Old 10-29-2018, 03:18 PM   #5
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Sag Harbor , New York
Quote:
Originally Posted by azflycaster View Post
So you are saying that only the hot ambient air temp is "causing" the fridge to "cool" ???

This would be a first in modern physics IMO!

Fridge off and it is cooling correctly?

Everyone should post actual air and fridge/freezer temps -- this chain of causation may have a few weak links! [IMO]

Are you saying in effect that everyone who has an AS fridge in a hot climate only has to turn the thing off to enjoy free cooling?
OTRA15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2018, 03:20 PM   #6
Rivet Master

2018 30' Classic
Jacksonville , Florida
Does it make ice?
Overstreet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2018, 05:54 PM   #7
4 Rivet Member

2019 25' Flying Cloud
Tucson , Arizona
Quote:
Originally Posted by Overstreet View Post
Does it make ice?

Only along the Mosquito Coast!

R44
Old 10-29-2018, 06:42 PM   #8
Rivet Master

2002 19' Bambi
Lafayette , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by OTRA15 View Post
So you are saying that only the hot ambient air temp is "causing" the fridge to "cool" ???
This would be a first in modern physics IMO!
Most Airstreams have an absorber refrigerator. Although it might seem logical that heat can't cause cooling, here is a definition that counters that logic:
"An absorption refrigerator is a refrigerator that uses a heat source (e.g., solar energy, a fossil-fueled flame, waste heat from factories, or district heating systems) to provide the energy needed to drive the cooling process."

Tim
Tim A. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2018, 07:12 PM   #9
Rivet Master

1969 18' Caravel
Greenville , whereEverIroam
Sounds like it's time for some cool science experiments!

As long as the refrigerant has some source of heat, it will cool the fridge. I would be surprised if the ambient heat is enough to cool the fridge a great deal, but not surprised if there was some measurable difference.
skyguyscott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2018, 07:19 PM   #10
4 Rivet Member

2019 25' Flying Cloud
Tucson , Arizona
I'd guess it was ~60° +/-.

Freezer fins were cooler....

Weird...

R44
Old 10-30-2018, 03:50 AM   #11
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Sag Harbor , New York
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim A. View Post
Most Airstreams have an absorber refrigerator. Although it might seem logical that heat can't cause cooling, here is a definition that counters that logic:
"An absorption refrigerator is a refrigerator that uses a heat source (e.g., solar energy, a fossil-fueled flame, waste heat from factories, or district heating systems) to provide the energy needed to drive the cooling process."

Tim
Of course I understand the physics, but look at the fine print of what the heat source is usually:

"solar energy, a fossil-fueled flame, waste heat from factories, or district heating systems"

NO WAY that ambient heat alone in any location will cool a fridge down to anything below the ambient temp !!!!

Unless Merlin comes along to create thermal energy from nowhere, it just ain't gonna happen!
Old 10-30-2018, 03:53 AM   #12
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Sag Harbor , New York
Quote:
I'd guess it was ~60° +/-.

Freezer fins were cooler....

Weird...

R44
The fins felt cooler to the touch because that metal absorbs the heat from your skin faster than the hot ambient air, thus your mistaken perception of the metal being cooler.

GIGO!

Get a temp reading of the fins, and you will see that everything is about the same temp as the ambient air temp inside the fridge/freezer!

No heat source . . . no cooling . . .

The mind is a powerful deceiver!

Old 10-30-2018, 03:57 AM   #13
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Sag Harbor , New York
Quote:
Originally Posted by skyguyscott View Post
. . .
not surprised if there was some measurable difference.
Like what, 5 degrees Fahrenheit maybe? So if the ambient temp is 60 F per recent post, then the fridge/freezer will "cool down" to 55 F?

If you want to call that cooling, be my guest, but maybe the fridge would be better off making warm tea instead of iced tea!

Old 10-30-2018, 03:59 AM   #14
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Sag Harbor , New York
Quote:
Originally Posted by AirstreamInc View Post
Hi Rounder44,*

We're very sorry to learn about the issue you are having. Please send us a direct message with your contact information and the last 6 digits of your VIN so we can share it with our Customer Service and Technical Support team. We look forward to helping you get this resolved.

Thank you.*

How is Airstream planning on fixing a fridge which is turned off?

Post #1:
Quote:
. . .
. . . it's been off for at least 3-4 weeks.
. . .
Old 10-30-2018, 09:18 AM   #15
4 Rivet Member

2019 25' Flying Cloud
Tucson , Arizona
Quote:
The fins felt cooler to the touch because that metal absorbs the heat from your skin faster than the hot ambient air, thus your mistaken perception of the metal being cooler.

GIGO!

Get a temp reading of the fins, and you will see that everything is about the same temp as the ambient air temp inside the fridge/freezer!

No heat source . . . no cooling . . .

The mind is a powerful deceiver!

Maybe...

BUT that doesn't explain how the inside ambient temp is lower as well too! How the plastic is cooler!

I also had a friend with me and we both noticed this.

Hey maybe the fridge is just incredibly well insulated and sealed! BUT....I'm sure it has been in the 90°'s for at least a few days since I turned it off and it was downright uncomfortable inside on several occasions when I visited.

Past 2 -3 weeks have been cooler temps over all though... It's AZ We've been in the 50°'s and 90°'s the past month! Nights as low as 40°'s but averaging ~55° to 80°....

Weird...

R44
Old 10-30-2018, 10:20 AM   #16
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Sag Harbor , New York
The fridge is a well-insulated cooler of sorts, and will maintain cool nighttime interior ambient temps, even if the trailer interior ambient temp goes up 30 degrees or so during the day. Put a good store-bought cooler in the trailer as a parallel test, with no ice in it.

Please measure things carefully, and keep a log. It is highly likely that you are perceiving cause-and-effect relationships where none exist IMO. The added cooler without ice should confirm the same patterns from the AS fridge.

The mind plays tricks like this all the time.

No need to belabor the general point. Without accurate temp readings, we have reached the end of the road.

Good luck,

Peter
Old 10-31-2018, 06:25 PM   #17
Retired

2008 30' Classic
Currently Looking...
Livingston , Texas
Quote:

How is Airstream planning on fixing a fridge which is turned off?

Post #1:

Replace a faulty on/off switch?
2008 Classic 30'
2019 F250 4x4
tvketchum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2018, 07:29 PM   #18
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Sag Harbor , New York
Please read the entire thread, Tom. The owner turned the fridge off! That is why the fridge does not work, because the act of turning the thing off was intentional.

Not a fixable problem. In fact there is no problem at all !!!

The question directed at the Airstream rep was to see if they are paying attention, or just blindly replying to some random post.

Ye Gads!