Old 06-22-2014, 07:04 PM   #1

1967 22' Safari
2014 23' International
Missouri City , Texas
Fridge not cooling

We have a brand new unit. First 2 trips fridge worked great. Now fridge will not cool at all. We are getting heat from propane and elec but the fridge never cools. Unit is level, fuses are good, ventilation is good, any oner help would be appreciated! We called our local dealer who would not set us up for a service appt for close to 2 months. Have a 10 day trip planned next week and need to get this thing cooling! -JJ

Old 06-22-2014, 07:18 PM   #2
Rivet Master

2014 27' FB Eddie Bauer
Chelsea , Michigan
If you can't get another AS dealer close by to check your unit in a reasonable time frame, contact the factory to get them to authorize another convenient Dometic repair shop to check this out. Two months is unacceptable. BTW, I am assuming that the unit with the bad reefer is still under factory warranty. If it isn't, then you should just get to the closest Dometic repair shop and have them take care of things. There is nothing unique about a Dometic reefer in an AS that cannot be handled by any qualified repair facility.

Old 06-22-2014, 07:23 PM   #3
Rivet Master

2006 19' Safari SE
Tucson , Arizona
One more thing you could check: Open the outside door to the fridge compartment and make sure it is plugged into the 110 outlet behind the frig. On our rig it's a little awkward to see the plug as it's mounted on the inside of the exterior wall ... don't know exactly where it is located on a 23'...

If it were me, I'd not settle for a dealer not being willing take a look at it sooner than 2 months, even if I had to call Airstream to get it done... if that's where you bought the rig talk to the guy who sold it to you...he should be able to twist some arms if he wants to keep you as a happy customer.

Good luck... I understand your frustration...
AirForums #21900 . Membership Chair, 4C
Unit #3954
Inside AZBambi: AZBambi Décors
Travel Log: AZBambi...On the Road Again
TBRich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2014, 07:33 PM   #4
Rivet Master

2012 27' Flying Cloud
Windsor , Connecticut
Sorry. Sometimes we have to shut it off (at the control panel in the freezer), wait a few seconds and turn it back on to Auto (when plugged in to shore power with propane tanks open).

Helps to have cold things in it to start. We use blue ice packs.

Good luck!
Old 06-22-2014, 07:58 PM   #5
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

Currently Looking...
Naples, FL , Hood River, OR
Quote:
Originally Posted by jhjarrett View Post
We have a brand new unit. First 2 trips fridge worked great. Now fridge will not cool at all. We are getting heat from propane and elec but the fridge never cools. Unit is level, fuses are good, ventilation is good, any oner help would be appreciated! We called our local dealer who would not set us up for a service appt for close to 2 months. Have a 10 day trip planned next week and need to get this thing cooling! -JJ
You're not going to like this, but if both heating sources are operating (I assume that you checked the tubular cover protecting the boiler tube and it was hot to the touch), then your cooling unit (that's the mess of pipes and coils at the back of the fridge) either has a blockage or has leaked out the refrigerant.

If you don't see any yellow staining around the heating area (from the sodium chromate that is added to resist corrosion) or smell ammonia, then my vote would be for a blockage.

Either way, you are looking at a new cooling unit, which should be fully covered under both your Airstream warranty and the 2 year Dometic warranty.
lewster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2014, 11:49 AM   #6

1967 22' Safari
2014 23' International
Missouri City , Texas
Thank you all! I contacted AS who gave me a list of Dometic service providers. Hopefully we can get it in tomorrow.