Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Interior Restoration Forum > Refrigerators
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 09-30-2006, 07:45 AM   #1
1 Rivet Member

1974 31' Sovereign
Alpine , Texas
fridge not coming back on after defrost!

Last night we defrosted the fridge/freezer (turned it off, put a bowl of hot water in the fridge next to the coils, let it drip) then toweled it off, put our food back in, and turned it back on (electric) to #5. (It had been on #4). This morning (~9-10 hours later) it's not cold. Did we miss some part of turning it back on? Was there a dance we were supposed to do?

I read through the forum and see that it may be early-- sounds like some wait a day for it to function once off. But in case I've missed anything I want to nip it in the bud. It is not warm in there but yet we had cold food in the sealed box all night, so that may be the reason there. I believe we're level (but perhaps not 100%? How important is that with electric?), and we also did not look in any vents for obstacles. But it was working fine (a little less than, actually) before the defrost.

Any suggestions? Thank you!

Jesse
jeff&jess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2006, 08:27 AM   #2

2004 30' Classic Slideout
Fenton , Missouri
Send a message via AIM to jcanavera Send a message via Skype™ to jcanavera
After that much time you should have felt some vestage of coldness. Assuming you are still on electric, my advice is to go to propane mode and see if it gets cold. If it does, then you know your problem deals with the electrical side of the refrigerator. But first things first, get the gas on and see if you get cooling. It will take a bit but in a few hours you will know.

Jack
AIR #56 S/OS#15
'04 Classic 30' S.O.,'03 GMC Savana 2500
jcanavera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2006, 08:33 AM   #3
1 Rivet Member

1974 31' Sovereign
Alpine , Texas
Nevermind, it IS working but slowly!

Yep, I noticed my ice pack is colder than if it were off, AND I saw that Jeff was searching this forum late last night and wrote a note on our chalkboard fridge (a topic for a different forum?) that it's working. Here's a photo showing the note (and our cool chalkboard panels).

Not the first time I've rushed in for help early.... Thanks for listening!

Jesse
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	fridge 001 1024.JPG
Views:	166
Size:	73.0 KB
ID:	26427  
Old 09-30-2006, 08:37 AM   #4
1 Rivet Member

1974 31' Sovereign
Alpine , Texas
Thanks, Jack, I was messing with making my photo smaller and didn't see your reply. We'll be moving in a couple of weeks and when we park at our next temporary home I will try the gas first, to experiment with that method.

Jesse