Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-26-2007, 11:55 AM   #1
Tom, the Uber Disney Fan

2006 30' Safari
Orlando , Florida
Fridge help!

We used our Dometic fridge that came in our '06 Safari on propane last weekend during transit on a trip (total travel time about 17 hours round trip) and used electricity while camping. When we returned home we forgot to turn the fridge off, so it has been running on propane all week. We are going to a rally this weekend so last night (Thursday night) my wife went out to load the fridge and when she opened the fridge door, the light flashed on and off several times and she heard a clicking sound. I went out and the same thing happened.

I had filled the propane tanks before Labor Day Weekend (cooked a couple of meals and ran fridge during transit approximately 12 hours round trip that weekend) and we haven't used the Airstream since except this past weekend. The fridge has been off during the interim. I don't think the tanks are empty, but I connected the shore power this morning before leaving for work and opened the fridge door and the light stayed on and I didn't hear the clicking sound. I called Dometic and the only thing they could tell me was that it could be that the fridge drained the batteries and they were too low to operate the igniter, but they couldn't tell me that was the cause and that I needed to take it to a service center and have it checked.

Would this be a result of low batteries or not enough propane in the tanks to operate the fridge?
WBCCI# 4821
https://streaminacrossamerica.com/
Minnie's Mate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2007, 12:33 PM   #2
_

. , .
it's easy enough to check for any lp gas remaining...

-light a stove top burner...

-check the lcd indicator on the micro pulse...

-check the tank top 'fill gauge' on some models...

yes the fridge controller/thermostat can drain the batteries and IF this happens it will shut down.

this can happen in just a few days with standard lead acid batteries and a few other phantom loads.

your post info doesn't mention if the fridge was still COLD during the 'clicking and light show'...

so IF the batteries are juiced AND you have lp gas...

turn OFF the fridge for a few minutes then restart it.

if it cools properly on electric and lp gas, carry on...

if it only cools on electric but NOT lp gas (and gas is available) it's time for a service call.

there are many threads here on 'board failures' in these units but all cooling is usually the malfunction.

lastly the lp gas flow may be interrupted by clogging or other gas line issues running directly to the fridge.

if there is plenty of lp gas and other gas applicances work (water, stove, furnace) that may be the problem.

cheers
2air'

we are here on earth to fart around. don't let anybody tell you any different. k.v.
2airishuman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2007, 01:30 PM   #3
4 Rivet Member

2004 25' Safari
you might

you may want to check the defrost heater switch located in the upper right hand side of the fridge.It is located just under the lip between the fridge & freezer. It runs off of 12v and heats the freezer to remove frost. When we are on 12v only I turn it off to conserve power.
Best,

Bogfrog & Mr. Turbo

If in life you stumble, make it part of the dance
WayWard Wind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2007, 02:04 PM   #4
Tom, the Uber Disney Fan

2006 30' Safari
Orlando , Florida
I forgot to check the gas stove last night (it was late and I was tired from work) and I didn't think to check this morning in my rush to get to work. I'll check before we leave. I'm hoping it isn't lack of gas...well sort of...that will add an extra half hour or more to our departure time. But a couple of tanks of gas is a lot less trouble than a trip to the service center (the refridgerator is still under warranty for a few more months).

If the inside of the fridge isn't cold when I get home, I'll turn it off for a few minutes while I hitch up and if all else doesn't work, I'll load the ice chest before we leave.
WBCCI# 4821
https://streaminacrossamerica.com/
Minnie's Mate is offline   Reply With Quote