Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-23-2007, 07:51 PM   #1
Rivet Master

2003 22' International CCD
Kiln , Mississippi
Fridge Fan won't turn OFF

I've got an annoying issue with my fridge fan (besides being NOISY). When I park it at home, I ususlly turn off the fridge and crack it open to air dry and keep mold from forming. Well, the last two times I did this the fan continues to run - for days. The unit is turned off, I have the battery disconnect switch thrown to the off position to keep the battery from draining. but I do plug in the 30 amp cord to run the AC if I'm inside (which is every day sometimes.... )

Well, the fan runs and runs - for ever, then stops on its own..... It's running now......

WHY??????

Mike
clancy_boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2007, 08:22 PM   #2
Rivet Master

2002 19' Bambi
Lafayette , California
There was a thread a while back about some things you can do about the fan noise. You might check that out. As for why it keeps running, well, the fan is controlled by a thermal switch which might be switching on at too low a temperature. Your summer temperatures may be adequate to cause that because the switch measures the temperature outside of the refrigerator. I believe it should only run when you are connected to shore power or have the battery not shut off because it is on the trailer's 12V system.

Before finding another solution, we put a switch in the line between the thermal switch and the fan in order to stop our Bambi's fan from doing what you are describing. That only happened for us on very hot summer days.
Tim A. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2007, 08:33 PM   #3
4 Rivet Member

Whittier , California
Mike---I've got the same trailer as you, 2003 22ft CCD and it does the same thing. I don't have a solution yet.
bobkelly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2007, 10:42 PM   #4
Rivet Master

2005 19' Safari
1968 24' Tradewind
Rural , Delaware
The 2005 Bambi came with a lighted fan switch mounted to the left just inside the door, on the refrigerator compartment. If it's too noisy at night, sometimes we just shut it off. Ours ran a lot too. Recently, when we took it back for some warranty work, the lighted switch was on the list of repairs. When checking the lighted switch, they discovered the thermal switch was also defective and replaced it, and it does not run quite as much now. I've noticed that when the outdoor temperature is above about 75 degrees, the fan runs constantly.
WDCU
SilverRanger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2007, 04:40 AM   #5
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

Vintage Kin Owner
Naples , Florida
Hi Gang,

The fridge fan and the thermal sensor that Airstream uses are IMHO a total POS!

The best fix for this is the fan kit that you can get from Snyder's Refrigeration (rv_cool) on the Forums. It has a proper temp sensor put where it does the most good and the fan and shroud actually work to keep your fridge sooooo cooold!

I've installed a few of these and they work great....and the fan is WAY quieter too!
lewster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2007, 07:51 AM   #6
Rivet Master

Kiln , Mississippi
Thank You...

Thank You all that responded. I thought I had a failure in a sensor and was beginning to worry I would burn things up. It's off today so I'm happy.

Lew, I will look into that kit as soon as I return from DC this week. I would like a quieter fan. My fridge runs a little hot so maybe that will help some.

Mike
clancy_boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2007, 08:21 AM   #7
Rivet Master

2010 25' FB Flying Cloud
Currently Looking...
Laramie , Wyoming
The quick fix is to unplug the wire to the sensor. Won't hurt anything. Then plug it back in on hot days.
Old 09-04-2007, 08:55 PM   #8
2 Rivet Member

2005 22' Safari
San Juan Capistrano , California
There are some pics of the newer trailers here:
http://www.airforums.com/forums/f425...ork-35040.html
grantb4 is offline   Reply With Quote