Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Interior Restoration Forum > Refrigerators
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 04-09-2003, 04:30 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

Fridge doesn't work on ac

I have a 72 31' Sov. The propane fridge works fine but when I turn off the propne and switch on the ac or maybe its the dc and then plug the ac cord into the ac outlet nothing happens. The ac recepacle works for other things. I see a white power line coming out of a small box. It is about 18' long and has a two slotted female recpacle at the end but I cann't find anywhere for it to plug into. Any help is greatly appreciated.
jwaldin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2003, 05:06 PM   #2
Rivet Master

Austin , Texas
I guess you have a 2 way fridge, propane and 120 volts ac? Good thing it works on propane so you know the major expensive parts are functioning. As far as the 120 volt portion the first thing I would check is the heater. It will have 2 wires going to it and it is located close to the burner assembly, usually right above it somewhat encased in the metal and insulating wrap. Looks like a big glowplug. Get to the wire connection pull it apart and check the heater for continuity. My guess is it will be open, no continuity. Other than that there could be a problem with the cams and levers at the end of the changeover knob and shaft which actually energize the heater or the electric thermostat. The white cord which goes to nowhere could have been the feed for the heater, look into the burner flue and see if you see the heater, they slide into a ring welded onto the burner/coil assembly.

Chas
Chas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2003, 06:10 PM   #3

When you say " ... plug the ac cord into the ac outlet nothing happen" are you talking about the double outlet in the back of the fridge ? the one where the fridge itself is pluged-in?

Other thing: On our 1974 original fridge, we had a plastic cover over the terminal block, with a diagram inside the cover. Check if it is somewhere in the back of the fridge.
femuse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2003, 07:58 PM   #4
4 Rivet Member

1971 27' Overlander
Cornville , Arizona
Frige doesn't work on A/C

Try this, Happened to me--- Clean the terminals of the Plug and the Outlet. It's been there a long time. Tom
Old 04-10-2003, 07:13 AM   #5
2 Rivet Member

Thanks for the info re my fridge. I'll let you know how I make out
jwaldin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2003, 10:38 AM   #6
2 Rivet Member

1972 25' Tradewind
Rogers , Arkansas
On my 1972 Tradewind there is a toggle switch that must be changed to go from propane to electric. In order to throw the switch, the propane valve must be shut off. This is a safety switch so that someone doesn't mistakenly try to run the appliance on both propane and electricity.
pepper48 is offline   Reply With Quote