Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-22-2010, 04:51 PM   #1
Remember, Safety Third

1973 27' Overlander
Catfish Corners , Georgia
Fridge Burpin' and other stuff

I bought a used fridge from a 2000 model AS Bus from a forum member locally and installed it last fall. It worked fine for the first couple of months, but then didn't use it over the cold part of the winter. Fired it up last weekend and the freezer gets down to zero, but the fridge part wouldn't go below about 48 degrees. So after doing a bunch of reading here on the forums, I pulled it back out Sunday afternoon and gave it a good shake (side to side, front to rear). I couldn't turn it upside down at the time and "burp" it because I was here by myself (i.e., nobody to pull me out from under it in case it decided to fall on me ). Anyway, shaking seems to have worked fine, it seems to be cooling properly now. So here's the question:

I've read many posts here where folks have done the same thing. I'm just curious if anybody has had long term success with this "burping" stuff. I don't really want to have to pull this thing back out of the cabinet (deinstall, reinstall) every few moths. SO, has anybody had success for a couple of years, or possibly longer, after a good burping session?

Thanks for reading along gang, remember, spring is almost here. Gotta get ready for the road!

Jim

www.nesa.org
Air No. 6427
Jim & Susan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2010, 05:06 PM   #2
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim & Susan View Post
I bought a used fridge from a 2000 model AS Bus from a forum member locally and installed it last fall. It worked fine for the first couple of months, but then didn't use it over the cold part of the winter. Fired it up last weekend and the freezer gets down to zero, but the fridge part wouldn't go below about 48 degrees. So after doing a bunch of reading here on the forums, I pulled it back out Sunday afternoon and gave it a good shake (side to side, front to rear). I couldn't turn it upside down at the time and "burp" it because I was here by myself (i.e., nobody to pull me out from under it in case it decided to fall on me ). Anyway, shaking seems to have worked fine, it seems to be cooling properly now. So here's the question:

I've read many posts here where folks have done the same thing. I'm just curious if anybody has had long term success with this "burping" stuff. I don't really want to have to pull this thing back out of the cabinet (deinstall, reinstall) every few moths. SO, has anybody had success for a couple of years, or possibly longer, after a good burping session?

Thanks for reading along gang, remember, spring is almost here. Gotta get ready for the road!

Jim
The problem is that some foreign material is within the cooling unit.

It partially, to completely, plugs up the normal flow of the cooling liquid.

It may never show up, and then again, it may show up on your next trip.

That's probably why it was for sale.

Andy
Inland RV Center, In is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2010, 05:15 PM   #3
_

. , .
Quote:
...I've read many posts here where folks have done the same thing. I'm just curious if anybody has had long term success with this "burping" stuff...
4 get the burping...

give it a ONE man beating.

this will do u both some good.

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f425...ork-50502.html

(see posts #14 and #19 above)

cheers
2air'

we are here on earth to fart around. don't let anybody tell you any different. k.v.
2airishuman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2010, 06:05 PM   #4
Remember, Safety Third

1973 27' Overlander
Thanks for the link, 2Air. Guess I should have used "big stick" in the search box.

Jim

www.nesa.org
Air No. 6427
Old 03-23-2010, 06:24 PM   #5
Remember, Safety Third

1973 27' Overlander
So, I have another question.

I couldn't help but notice that on the absorber vessel there is a port on there that looks like it's made to remove or add the ammonia solution. Is it possible to drain the ammonia outta there and recharge the system? The idea being that a good cleanin' and new coolant can clean some of the corrosion, etc, outta those tubes. Kinda a like a flush and fill on a compressor based system with everyday refrigerant.

What say you?

Jim

www.nesa.org
Air No. 6427
Old 03-23-2010, 09:45 PM   #6
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Quote:
So, I have another question.

I couldn't help but notice that on the absorber vessel there is a port on there that looks like it's made to remove or add the ammonia solution. Is it possible to drain the ammonia outta there and recharge the system? The idea being that a good cleanin' and new coolant can clean some of the corrosion, etc, outta those tubes. Kinda a like a flush and fill on a compressor based system with everyday refrigerant.

What say you?

Jim
Jim.

DON'T TOUCH IT.

One mistake and your DEAD. A blowoff of ammonia will kill, quickly.

There are companies that specialize in overhauling a cooling unit.

It takes very specialized equipment to do so. Do you have that equipment??

Then, you might drain it, but do you know how to purge the system of all the particles???

Then, do you know how to mix the ammonia and water to the proper ratio and quantity??

If you answer any of those with a "I am not sure", then save your life and leave it alone.

NO BULL...........NO HOGWASH EITHER.

Andy
Inland RV Center, In is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2010, 10:16 PM   #7
Wise Elder

2010 30' Classic
Vintage Kin Owner
South of the river , Minnesota
It has to be charged with a fairly precisely measured charge of ammonia, water, and hydrogen gas. I only know of one place in the country that advertises the ability to do that.
Jammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2010, 05:43 PM   #8
Remember, Safety Third

1973 27' Overlander
Steady there fellas, I would never try to do that on my own. I'm well aware of the corrosive affects of pure ammonia and the explosive affects of hydrogen. In other words, I'm crazy, but not stupid. I was just curious if it's commonly done by authorized service centers, that's all. After all, there is a port on that absorber for a reason. I've never seen a post here on the forums by anybody that has had such a service performed.

So, has anybody had this type of service performed? There's supposed to be a place in Alabama somewhere that refurbs old RV fridges, and at one time I had a link to their website. Maybe I can find them again.

Jim

www.nesa.org
Air No. 6427
Old 03-24-2010, 06:09 PM   #9
Patriotic

1973 23' Safari
North of Boston , Massachusetts
Yeah, JohnHD made an excellent photo essay on replacing the cooling unit, via one of these outfits. A friend of mine used the thread to replace his cooling unit, when it bit the dust. worked out great for him. not cheap...but way cheaper than a new fridge.
'00 Dodge Ram 1500 4x4 QC
Chuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2010, 06:22 PM   #10
4 Rivet Member

1963 28' Ambassador
Vintage Kin Owner
Northern VT , Vermont
Most likely problem was the unit was running severly off level long enough for the burner to boil the amonia solution without circulating it. This can cause small crystils to form and lodge in the capilary tube, reducing or blocking circulation. "Burping" can shake 'em free. Sometimes they settle somewhere harmless, sometimes they relodge, I have one on year #4 after a burp. If it happens on gas only check the burner. When they take an angry beating sometimes scale will drop down the chimney and partially block the burner. I beat mine yearly now to keep it clean!
putback is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2010, 06:49 PM   #11
2 Rivet Member

1971 23' Safari
Valley Grande , Alabama
Burping worked for us. We bought a used dometric refrig from a forum member. He didn't know if it worked or not because he bought it and never tried it out. We brought it home and plugged it in. It didn't work. My father in law told us to turn it on its side for a couple of days and then plug it in. We did and it has worked ever since.

As a side note, listen to Andy. He is always right. My husband made up his mind that if the burping didn't work, then we were going to get a professional to work on it. Somethings are better left to the professionals, ya' know?
holder310 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2010, 07:58 PM   #12
Remember, Safety Third

1973 27' Overlander
Here's a link to John's most excellent thread: http://www.airforums.com/forums/f425...air-23857.html

Great info, but still not exactly what I'm looking for. Thanks for the tip, Chuck.

Jim

www.nesa.org
Air No. 6427