Old 12-26-2014, 01:57 PM   #1
1 Rivet Member

2003 25' Safari
Rio Rancho , New Mexico
Fridge blows out going down the road.....

We are presently on a trip from New Mexico to Florida,
Our 2003 25 ft B, Dometic refrigerator gas blows out, or just quits working, when we go down the road and will not relight until we plug in to electric. In the morning when we unplug from electric before leaving our overnight camp spot, it appears to flip to auto. (the auto light is on)Then, a few hours later, when we stop to fuel our TV, it will have the check light on, and will not relight by pressing either the auto or gas button. It will turn back on when we plug into electric. Husband has taken size 58 orifice out, it appears to have a glass insert in the orifice, but it does not appear to be clogged. Is this normal or is it clogged? Has anyone had this problem? or any ideas? Thanks!

Old 12-26-2014, 02:24 PM   #2
Rivet Master

2014 25' International
2006 23' Safari SE
Currently Looking...
Boulder City , Nevada
There is a post on Dometic Refrigerators that I had a similar problem in a 2006 23 footer... and it was just bending the ignitor a fraction of an inch. The unit seemed real temperamental. On hot days... worked fine. Cooler days or evenings that were cooler the check light came on and I would have to reset three to five times to get it started on propane.

Worked fine when hooked up with power.

Find that Thread on Dometic and this solved my problem immediately.

The reasons you are scratching your head over were not even close. Some people were say the trailer was not "level enough". After tweaking the ignitor... it ran flawlessly. Had nothing to do with all of the other mysterious possible issues!

Old 12-26-2014, 03:13 PM   #3
1 Rivet Member

2003 25' Safari
Rio Rancho , New Mexico
Thanks!

It does not seem to matter if it is hot or cold. This is the second trip we have had trouble with this. While at home husband successfully functioned conversion to gas 8 or 9 times. No problem, till we are on the road.But we will consider that fix. Can hardly see the igniter, any ideas on how to get access to it?
Old 12-27-2014, 01:52 PM   #4
1 Rivet Member

2003 25' Safari
Rio Rancho , New Mexico
Frige Issues

Hey Ray, John tweaked the igniter, a tiny bit, less than a mm. Worked on gas all night and last check at about 2 PM this afternoon, no check light. Thanks so much for the idea. So far so good!
Old 12-27-2014, 02:04 PM   #5
Rivet Master

2000 19' Bambi
mt. Prospect , Illinois
The flame blows out about every time I take the trailer down the road. Functions fine sitting still, and the refrig easily relights. It just started doing this last year - up until then it was fine. I need to see if I can adjust the flame a bit higher - perhaps bending the thermocouple into the flame a bit will help. Your thread just made me think of that.
Others have reported that installing a sheet of material, like furnace filter medium, inside the access door keeps the wind out and prevents the blow out. I haven't tried that, yet.
Old 12-27-2014, 02:41 PM   #6
Rivet Master

2005 19' Safari
GLENDALE , AZ
Re: Refrigerator -- Air conditioner filter prevents flame blowout

We position this $2.50 air conditioner filter over the opening, and then close the (lower) vented refrigerator door on it to hold the filter in place. This filter allows free air flow, but prevents gusts of wind blowing the flame out at highway speeds.

Duck Foam Air Conditioner Filter: Heating, Cooling, & Air Quality : Walmart.com

If you are worried about the filter coming loose and blowing against the back of the hot refrigerator parts (which is very unlikely), you can secure the filter against the door with some twist ties. However, instead of twist ties, we use a couple of old spring hooks from a previous rug mat that goes around our fold-up step (below the entry door). These just go through the filter and hook onto the vent slots.

The spring hooks came from the old (step) rug mat, when we replaced it with this:

Camco Step Rug, Reg Blue - Walmart.com
Old 12-27-2014, 02:51 PM   #7
Rivet Master

2014 25' International
2006 23' Safari SE
Currently Looking...
Boulder City , Nevada
Bend the ignitor mount, centering over flame.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ssopko View Post
Hey Ray, John tweaked the igniter, a tiny bit, less than a mm. Worked on gas all night and last check at about 2 PM this afternoon, no check light. Thanks so much for the idea. So far so good!
I should have added: I tweaked the ignitor over the flame while it ... was... operating. Just a little, almost as if it did not so it was centered over the flame. The mounting plates are very firm and rigid. For me, and hopefully yourselves, this will do it.

I have my fingers crossed this will do it. We sure got tired of checking the "check light" while traveling. Never had another problem after doing this seemingly minor bend to the ignitor mount!

We had suggestions that went all over the place. I had some spare parts for this area and discovered that 2006 parts were already different from the replaced 2008 unit! The ammonia coil weld cracked and Dometic gave us a replacement system in 2008. so I kept all of the hardware I felt could be used in an emergency. And it was just the factory ignitor position was "almost centered" but off enough to be very unpredictable.

On warm days it ran consistently, as the flame was on all of the time. Cold days the refrigerator would cycle, the flame would go out and when it went to restart, it would not because of the position of the ignitor. End of story.
Old 12-28-2014, 10:46 PM   #8
"Space A" S/O Registry 11

2006 34' Classic S/O
Fort Worth , Texas
The same symptoms can be caused by dirty electrical contacts on the circuit board and their sockets. Pull them apart and clean them with a rubber eraser. Try some contact cleaner on Q tips. The problem is that Dometic is too cheap to use gold contacts and they get corroded over a period of time. Thus causing intermittent operation.
Old 12-29-2014, 09:28 AM   #9
1 Rivet Member

2011 27' FB Classic
Boise , Idaho
I had the same problem with the burner blowing out while going down the road on my 2011 Classic 27FB, but it would always restart. The problem was eventually solved by installing a small sheet metal baffle around the burner. I have not had the problem since this was done.
Old 12-29-2014, 10:34 AM   #10

2004 30' Classic Slideout
Fenton , Missouri
Send a message via AIM to jcanavera Send a message via Skype™ to jcanavera
My 2001 Safari had this problem. A baffle that the dealer built fixed the problem. Here is a link to a photo of a baffle.

http://www.airforums.com/forums/atta...4&d=1026669487

Jack

AIR #56
'04 Classic 30' S.O.,'03 GMC Savana 2500,'14 Honda CTX 700
jcanavera is offline   Reply With Quote