Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Interior Restoration Forum > Refrigerators
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 09-28-2005, 01:40 PM   #21
Rivet Master

1977 27' Overlander
1954 25' Cruiser
1990 34.5' Airstream 345
VC Highlands , Nevada
Send a message via Skype™ to Buttercup
Andy,

Thank you. I will try that. By orifice you mean the gas orifice? I am confident the gas pressure is high enough based only on flame length, color if the fridge flame and the simple fact that all other appliances work well AND lastly because I bought my regulator from you so I know it works right!
I did thoroughly blow out every conceivable part with compressed air including the burner. I am confident that it is clear and clean. But the other stuff I did not try.
there is one more factor that necessitates the replacement - my darling wife. She is adamant that it be replaced and I will not argue with that. But I can prolong that expense perhaps by taking your steps. Plus it gives me a chance to document the inspection/cleaning process for others before we replace - which we will.
Buttercup's Web Site. WBCCI #17330, 11281 & 7830. VAC Past President, TAC NV-2 & NV-3
Buttercup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2005, 01:56 PM   #22
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Buttercup

The oriface is at the bottom of the burner. The base that holds them, must be removed so that you can get all the rust particles out of it.

When you finish the reassembly, fire up the burner. You should hear it make a slight roaring sound. If so, it's doing it's job.

If the reefer freezer plate is level, the reefer should work.

If not, then I guess the wifes instructions will have to be implemented.

As they say someplace (I don't remember where), don't aggravated the female camping partner, unless you like to like to camp alone.

Andy
Inland RV Center, In is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2005, 08:20 PM   #23
2 Rivet Member

Bowie , Texas
Is there a way for the individual to check the lp pressure?
John Greenlee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2005, 11:41 PM   #24
Rivet Master

John, you need a simple device called a "manometer". This link tells you how to make your own:
http://www.rverscorner.com/articles/manometer.html
Also if you enter "manometer" in the search field at the top of the page, you will get 11 threads which describe the use of manometers in Airstream trailers.
Nick.
Old 09-29-2005, 07:32 AM   #25

2004 30' Classic Slideout
Fenton , Missouri
Send a message via AIM to jcanavera Send a message via Skype™ to jcanavera
Quote:
Originally Posted by Buttercup
IThe trailer was parked on the slope part of the driveway and it was more than enough to make things not work.
In any event, we are going to replace our unit because it just doesn't work well and I suspect that it needs a charge of ammonia or may be partly plugged.
Keep in mind that operating off level not only keeps the fridge from operating properly, but can cause damage since the boiling liquids cannot flow properly and will leave deposits that plug things up.

Jack
AIR #56 S/OS#15
'04 Classic 30' S.O.,'03 GMC Savana 2500
jcanavera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2005, 08:41 AM   #26
Rivet Master

1977 27' Overlander
1954 25' Cruiser
1990 34.5' Airstream 345
VC Highlands , Nevada
Send a message via Skype™ to Buttercup
Quote:
Originally Posted by jcanavera
Keep in mind that operating off level not only keeps the fridge from operating properly, but can cause damage since the boiling liquids cannot flow properly and will leave deposits that plug things up.

Jack
It would be a real bummer to have to replace the unit now because it was damaged!!
Oh well, I'll break the bad news to my wife - I know how heartbroken she will be to have to replace that! (can you hear the sarcasm?).
Buttercup's Web Site. WBCCI #17330, 11281 & 7830. VAC Past President, TAC NV-2 & NV-3
Buttercup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2005, 12:52 PM   #27
2 Rivet Member

Bowie , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Inland RV Center, In
Buttercup.

Before you replace your reefer, you might try another repair.

Cleaning and blowing out the flue really doesn't do much ggod.

What does make a huge difference, is the condition of the flame. Take the burner apart. Clean out the rust particles form the burner base. Soak the oriface in "Lime-away" for about a day. Reassemble the burner and then check the flame, at night is preferred. Check the LPG pressure. It should be 11 to 13 inches of water column pressure.

If everything is ok, with the thermostat turned wide open, you should see an improvement in the flame. You should also be able to hear the flame roar slightly.

Your reefer should now cool properly, as long as the freezer plate is level.

If not, then it's time to think about a replacement reefer.

The above suggestion, costs nothing, but it might save you hundreds.

Andy
I have similar symtoms. What would account for inferior performance both on gas and elec?

JMG
Old 09-30-2005, 01:32 PM   #28
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
John Greenlee

Not what you want to hear.

Your reefer has a bad cooling unit.

All that you can do is replace the cooling unit, or replace the reefer.

Burping the reefer, doesn't help anything, except to give you exercise, and adding to your list of unprintable words.

Andy
Old 09-30-2005, 03:52 PM   #29
2 Rivet Member

Bowie , Texas
What does it mean 'burping the refrigerator'?

Explain how a cooling unit goes bad. As they have no moving parts, is it just a matter of a slow leak or something like that? I am trying to understand these things.

JMG
Old 09-30-2005, 04:20 PM   #30
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
John Greenlee

The term "burping" a reefer, means that you remove the reefer and turn it upside down, again and again and again.

A cooling unit goes bad, internally. Small particals of rust can get loose, circulate and then plug or partially plug an oriface.

When that happens, the flow of refrigerant (ammonia and water) is reduced which in turn reduces the cooling ability.

In my 40 years, I have never heard nor do I know anyone that was ever successful in burping a heat absorption type refrigerator, that stayed "fixed" for more than a few days.

This does not happen often, but it does happen. There are thousands of reefers out there that are 50 years old and are still going strong.

Bottom line, is a replacement or rebuilt cooling unit, or a new refrigerator.

Andy