Old 04-16-2012, 10:24 PM   #1
1 Rivet Member

Delta , Colorado
Freezer works but not fridge

I have a 1975 Dometic and the fridge part stoped working but the freezer is working fine. I have it running on AC. any ideas??

Old 04-16-2012, 11:25 PM   #2
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by jhlewis View Post
I have a 1975 Dometic and the fridge part stoped working but the freezer is working fine. I have it running on AC. any ideas??
Your 2 door reefer, if you wish, has a split system.

What it's telling you is that the reefer system (the bottom part) is partially plugged up, internally, and the the freezer part is ok.

Not often but sometimes, that blockage can be fixed by shutting the reefer down for at least a day, and then tow the trailer around many corners for about 15 to 20 miles.

Then try the reefer again. If it's not fixed, then removing the reefer and turning it upside down a few times, may fix the issue.

If not, then sadly, the cooling unit has said "goodbye".

Then your choice is to replace the cooling unit, or the reefer.

Andy

Old 04-16-2012, 11:58 PM   #3

2017 26' Flying Cloud
1976 Argosy 28
Alamo Heights , Texas
How long have you had it running? There's really only 1 cooling circuit... it chills the base plate of the freezer and has a finned heat exchanger to cool the refrigerator section. The freezer always cools first, and in marginal conditions (hot summer, e.g.) the refrigerator section may not get down below 40F even if the freezer is still below 32F.

Zero Gravitas — 2017 Flying Cloud 26U | Il Progetto — 1976 Argosy 28 Center Bath | WBCCI# 15566

He has all of the virtues I dislike and none of the vices I admire. — Sir Winston Churchill
DKB_SATX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2012, 12:41 AM   #4
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

Currently Looking...
Denton , North Carolina
first question

Quote:
I first question is, “do you smell ammonia inside or out?" If so, that cooling unit is toast and needs to be unplugged, and turned off. That ammonia base cooling fluid is highly flammable.
Then the next question is," do you hear any gurgling or bubbling?" If so, the ammonia is low and it is also toast. The gurgling is not likely because you have the freezer working, but I have seen them gurgle and still cool some.
If you do not smell ammonia or hear gurgling then turn it onto gas. Let it run for a few days. The reason for letting it run for a few days is the ammonia based chemicals can sit for a while and it is hard to get it all moving again. The reason for gas is, your 110 heating element could be what I call a two stage unit and one of the stages could be bad. It can be getting hot but not hot enough. If your unit runs on gas then you will need to find what the resistance of the 110 heating element is suppose to be, by using an ohms meter.
Old 04-17-2012, 06:18 AM   #5
2 Rivet Member

1974 31' Sovereign
Ludowici , Georgia
How do i now is my unit is the one with with the ammonia.We have a 74 land yaught 31 ft
Old 04-17-2012, 08:02 AM   #6
Rivet Master

1971 25' Tradewind
1993 34' Excella
Currently Looking...
Estancia , New Mexico
Quote:
As previously said make sure you give it enough time to cool, at least 12 hours,

Also is your door gasket hard and not sealing properly?
Old 04-17-2012, 08:04 AM   #7
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stoney View Post
How do i now is my unit is the one with with the ammonia.We have a 74 land yaught 31 ft
All RV reefers use ammonia for a coolant.

Andy
Old 04-17-2012, 08:04 AM   #8
Rivet Master

1971 25' Tradewind
1993 34' Excella
Currently Looking...
Estancia , New Mexico
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stoney View Post
Use your olifactory detection tool.

I believe you do have an amonia unit.
Old 04-17-2012, 08:35 AM   #9
1 Rivet Member

Delta , Colorado
I let the trailer sit overwinter unused with everything off. I fired up the fridge and everything worked fine for a few days and then the fridge stoped cooling while the freezer is fine. I have not smelled any amonia and would think the freezer would not work if I had a leak. the heater element is hot but the pipes feel cool so that would suggest a clog except that the freezer is cooling. I have turned the whole unit off for two days and restarted - twice - with the same results, no fridge cooling.

Andy, unfortunately the trailer is permanetly parked and not easily towed so I am thinking about the removal and turning upside down suggestion.

Andy thanks for letting me know its a split system. That makes sense in how it is working. though in looking at the cooling system I can't see the "split" in the system. guess I need to reread the manual.

thanks for all the help
I'll let you know what I figure out.
Chris
Old 04-17-2012, 10:02 AM   #10
Rivet Master

1974 Argosy 26
Morrill , Nebraska
If your refer controls look like this I would not consider it a 2 door unit.

http://i1166.photobucket.com/albums/...IMG_0398-R.jpg

Note there are 2 thermostats, one for electric and one for gas.
Start by setting the thermostats to at least 5. Initially you could set it at the max.

How are you checking the temp in the refer box?
Is the gasket on the refer plyable? If it's leaking, the refer won't stay cold, but the freezer might.

Put a jug of water in the refer for 24 hours, then test the temp of the water.

When you say the pipes are cold. What pipes? The system on the back of the refer should feel warm to the touch. If it does, it's probably working.

Have you tried it on gas?
Old 04-17-2012, 10:20 AM   #11
Rivet Master

1966 22' Safari
Weatherford , Texas
rvmobile.com has wonderful fridge schematics and lots of educational material on rv fridge operation.
Old 04-17-2012, 06:51 PM   #12
1 Rivet Member

Delta , Colorado
My controls are as pictured. so you are saying that the freezer and frig are not cooled seperately - there seems to be no seperation of the two in the cooling unit.

the pipes I was refering to are the absorber vessel and the absorber pipes above the vessel. the manual says they should be teh same temp as the boiler. they are not. but yet the freezer is working.

The weatherstriping is not great but not bad. I'm trying again and making sure there is a good seal. The finned thingy inside the frig - condenser unit??? - is not cold but same temp as the air in the frig - warm.

I have not yet tried to lite the gas. i tried last year when I first got the trailer and I could not get it to work easily and since it worked on elec and I am pluged in I did not spend alot of time fussing with it. Was hoping not to use gas. I'll try the gas.
Old 04-17-2012, 07:08 PM   #13
Site Team

1975 25' Tradewind
Dewey , Arizona
RV refrigerators are not very efficient. If the door does not seal well it will not get very cold. If you have a thermometer with a remote sensor, that would be a good tool for testing the temperature without opening the door.

On the unit in my 75TW I have to give the door a little nudge at the bottom to make sure it is closed.

Richard

Wally Byam Airstream Club 7513
azflycaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2012, 08:25 PM   #14
Rivet Master

1974 Argosy 26
Morrill , Nebraska
When you try it on gas. If you have trouble lighting it from the front. You can light it from the back with one of the BBQ lighters. If it will not stay lit, check the thermocouple connection where it enters the gas valve. The contact may be dirty or corroded. It is only a 20 millivolt signal. Be careful not it lose any parts and don't over tighten the nut when you reassemble it.
Also make sure the other end of the thermocouple is in the flame.