Old 04-17-2012, 08:27 PM   #15
Rivet Master

1974 Argosy 26
Morrill , Nebraska
I can post pics on lighting it from the back. Just let me know.

Old 04-17-2012, 11:47 PM   #16
2 Rivet Member

1963 28' Ambassador
1978 28' Ambassador
Boerne , Texas
I have the exact same problem with a 78'. I'm afraid to try to light the gas. Its been sitting in a pasture for 13 years. I just want to take it out and get an electric LG, but I can't figure out how to get it out. I guess I'll try towing it around like Andy said first before I ditch it.

Old 04-18-2012, 07:11 AM   #17
Rivet Master

1971 25' Tradewind
1993 34' Excella
Currently Looking...
Estancia , New Mexico
Quote:
Originally Posted by esmaytum View Post
but I can't figure out how to get it out. .
I am not sure about a 78 but to get out early 70s fridge you have to take out a zillion screws and partially disassemble the cabinetry.
Old 04-18-2012, 08:29 AM   #18
2 Rivet Member

1976 Argosy 26
Tucson , Arizona
Check for Tilt

I had the same problem in Mexico once. Freezer worked, but the Fridge didn't. Found out that Dometic units must be level to function properly. Once the unit was level, everything worked fine.
Old 04-26-2012, 11:40 AM   #19
4 Rivet Member

1992 29' Excella
Asheville , North Carolina
Similar issues

I have been battling a similar issue with my fridge and freezer. I have done all of the suggested fixes with mixed results.

1 nothing was working even when level so removed the fridge and went through the complete burp procedure. freezer compartment began to work but fridge was not getting cold.

2 installed fans on the fins in the back (see photo) these are thermostatically controlled and only turn on when the unit is heating. Both Electric and Gas are heating perfectly. Fans turn on and fans turn off as they should and freezer gets to 0 degrees with no problem fridge at about 55

3 "beat the thing with a stick" It was suggested that sometimes a bit of particulate will get stuck in the piping in the back and a few taps on the coil in the back can loosen things up enough to get them working again. Not only was this enjoyable as I was very frustrated at this point, but it actually worked. Freezer at 0 fridge at 37, fans working properly ready for cold beer. but only for a day...

4 It seems like it all starts well then there is a back up and the thermostat inside the fridge was not telling it to shut off so it was continuing to heat with out circulating the "stuff" in the back and then all the pipes in the back were blistering hot and no cooling in the fridge. When this happens the fridge and the freezer go into what I would call a defrost mode. They actually heat up.
Decided to replace the thermostat inside the fridge. This worked. All was back to working fine, for a day.

5 I began to realize that when the outside temperature was below 50 degrees the fridge and freezer both work great. I can adjust for the Max to Min and change the temp in both compartments as I would desire. But if the outside temp goes above 50 degrees, the unit does not want to shut off and goes into the over heat mode.

6 decided it was sad that it had sat since October. I took it out and drove around many mountain roads here in Western NC and experienced several RR crossings. Lots of time to shake and rattle. After I returned home I jacked it up to insure that it was perfectly level inside the fridge. I let the whole thing sit for 24 hrs and then tried it again. I turned it on in the evening and was excited when the next morning it was at perfect temp. Unfortunately when I returned home the following afternoon (outside temp 72) the unit was in full on heating mode and the freezer was at 28 and the refrigerator was 68.

I know the unit has ammonia in it and that it is not leaking. I know that both electric and Gas heating elements are working (they get hot). I know that it works fine when it is very cold outside. So can someone tell me why it won't work when it hits above 50? I have even tried the trick of putting an 110 fan in the outside compartment blowing up to force the hot air out the vent on the roof. I have plenty of air movement there. is there some other thermostat that I am not aware of that could be sticking?
I guess if all else fails I will just use it as a giant ice box. Has anyone ever tried putting dry ice in their fridge?

Walk softly and get a bigger stick to beat your fridge.
Any help would be most appreciated. The DW is tired of hearing about this each and every day.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	2012-02-18_08-37-02_326.jpg
Views:	61
Size:	244.4 KB
ID:	156793  

'92 Excella 29'
Dodge Ram 1500
AIR # 59179
TAC NC-12
Chillpoints is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2012, 12:57 PM   #20
Rivet Master

1981 31' Excella II
New Market , Alabama
I think you are beating a dead horse. Those things can get stopped up and it sounds like that is what happened to yours. There is something floating around in there and it has stopped something up.

Perry
Old 04-26-2012, 02:17 PM   #21
Rivet Master

1974 Argosy 26
Morrill , Nebraska
Have you checked the vent system for the refer? It sounds like the heat generated is not being dissipated effectively. That may explain why it seems to operate better when the ambient temp is around 50 degrees.
Old 04-27-2012, 05:23 AM   #22
Rivet Master

1981 31' Excella II
New Market , Alabama
Does it work well when not in the trailer? My does not have fans and it works fine. The fridge freezes water.

Perry
Old 04-29-2012, 06:46 PM   #23
4 Rivet Member

1964 22' Safari
1962 28' Ambassador
enosburg , Vermont
Sounds like you've covered normal steps. IF, big If, the freezer will reach and hold 25 or less try this when its up and running with a cold freezer. After dark put a flashlight in the fridge, shut the door, look for light around the seal. Give it a couple hours, check again. I had one once with the same symptoms. The door closed and sealed but when the interior started to cool the magnetic seal would separate from the case just a bit on the bottom.
Old 05-01-2012, 10:58 AM   #24
Rivet Puller

2003 28' Safari S/O
Marietta , Georgia
From your description, it is most likely that your cooling unit is kaput. It is not necessary for there to be leak to get the symptom of cold freezer and warm reefer. There is a powdered rust inhibitor in the ammonia solution that has percipitated out as crystals and they block the lower passages. You can get it running for a short period but it will continue to fail once this cycle starts.

You can replace the cooling unit yourself if you are comfortable with DIY ($350-400), have it rebuilt, or buy a new refrigerator. The cost of a rebuild by someone else can be pretty steep due to the time involved.
Old 10-18-2013, 10:39 AM   #25
1 Rivet Member

1986 32' Excella
1986 32.5' Airstream 325
Johns Island , South Carolina
I had same prob. Then it wirks fine in gas but not electric. Dies anyine know how hard it is ti replace the ammonia tubing in the back of the refrigerator. I was told its nit that hard.
Old 10-19-2013, 10:33 AM   #26
Rivet Puller

2003 28' Safari S/O
Marietta , Georgia
Its not hard, just tedious. Search YouTube and find a clip that shows the steps.
Old 10-19-2013, 02:56 PM   #27
1 Rivet Member

1986 32' Excella
1986 32.5' Airstream 325
Johns Island , South Carolina
Good idea you have any links for that part
Old 10-19-2013, 03:01 PM   #28
Site Team

1974 31' Sovereign
Ottawa , ON
Here's one:

Replacing A Dometic Cooling Unit - YouTube