Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Interior Restoration Forum > Refrigerators
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 08-05-2010, 06:24 AM   #1
1 Rivet Member

1995 34' Limited
1978 23' Safari
Napanee , Ontario
Freezer working great but our fridge is barely cold to touch...

There are probably all kinds of forum string on this...

Anyway, our fridge has been plugged in and operating for about 2 weeks. There`s lots of ice in our ice tray but the fridge does not seem to be cooling.
Our fridge is a 1994 dometic with AES system. We are currently on shore power, and the fridge cooling range is already at the coldest level(5).

Any ideas from out there why this is happening......

Thanks,

Bas&Wen
Bas&Wen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2010, 06:33 AM   #2
Rivet Master

1970 27' Overlander
Espanola , Full Timer
Send a message via Yahoo to AIR-Quarius Send a message via Skype™ to AIR-Quarius
in ours (if this helps) the freezer gets all icey and all that. Then down below behind a second door is the 'fridge'. In the fridge is a radiator looking package that gets cold too (sometimes ices over) It is never really super cold in this part, but cold enough to keep food good. You know we do not even have a light bulb in there to wonder if it goes off or on !! ha ha!
Old 08-05-2010, 06:38 AM   #3
3 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Louisville , United States
We have a '94 Excella 1000 that had the same fridge, but a PO replaced it (~$1500). The new unit works great. Maybe it's time????
SSChanger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2010, 08:44 AM   #4
Tramp Streamer
Commercial Member

1995 28' Excella
Artist , at Large
Wink Reffer madness

Hi Bes&Wen,

Welcome to the Forums!

Before you rush out and spend your hard earned cash and suffer buyers remorse, how about some temperatures as references.

Terms like "Great" and "very cold" aren't really helpful and can be misleading.

I have placed one of those wall clocks on my wall which display TWO temperatures, one at the clock and the other from a remote sender. I've placed the remote sender in the fridge compartment, so now I know what's going on in there at all times.

I can tell you this,
1. Fridge temp depends on the outside temp.
2. The evaporator system, which is how these fridges work, is very very sensitive to leveling. I've watched the internal temp rise by 5 degrees by bringing the level up by just 1/2 bubble front or sideways.

I replaced the "Coils" in my 5 year box, cost me less than $400.

My summer temps(70-92) run average:
Freezer: 5-17 degrees.
Fridge: 29-40 degrees.

I also have a fan mounted under the top exhaust vent, with a thermostat and manual on/off switch.

I find that I get 5 degree lower temps on propane than I do using AC, which is really 12v DC.
(Running you fridge on your battery will kill the battery in a heartbeat)

To help the fridge along, I freeze water bottles in the freezer at night, and place them in the fridge during the day.

Also, driving down the road decreases the efficiency of the cooling unit, the wind turbulence in the cooling compartment effects the flame. (save the propane on/off during travel discussion for another thread or add the already beaten to death posted thread)

I've provided a DIY coil replacement HowTo you can find at: Airstream Central - Info for Airstream Owners or by clicking on the "Articles" tab on the top of this page

So how bout we all report back with temps, please include outside air temps along with the internal fridge numbers!

Keep cool

Michael
ArtStream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2010, 01:10 PM   #5
Tramp Streamer
Commercial Member

1995 28' Excella
Artist , at Large
Any temps to report....
Old 08-06-2010, 01:22 PM   #6
Rivet Master

2005 22' Safari
Hyde Park Place , Ohio
So in effect, there's nothing wrong with your refer (the system IS cooling) but there's an efficiency problem.

From easiest to hardest:

1. Is it level?
2. Is there appropriate electrical/gas input?
3. Is the flue clear of obstructions?
4. On gas, is the burner clear and free?

And things you can do:

1. Clean the burner
2. Install or upgrade a fan to improve efficiency (see dtbw's fine thread)
3. Check the flue/burner are free of webs, wasp nests etc - the bugs do love the gas!
4. Park in the shade!
Old 08-12-2010, 06:50 PM   #7
3 Rivet Member

2000 23' Safari
Vero Beach , Florida
I suggest you buy one of those battery powered fans that sit on the bottom shelf of the refer, We had a like problem and the fan did help.
mhilley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2010, 08:21 PM   #8
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Sioux Falls , South Dakota
Quote:
Originally Posted by mhilley View Post
I suggest you buy one of those battery powered fans that sit on the bottom shelf of the refer, We had a like problem and the fan did help.

What's this? What model, year refrigerator? Do you mean a fan installed inside? Or in the back? What fan? Which way is the fan installed? Blowing up? down? across? Why won't cold air go down by itself?
Splitrock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2010, 08:44 PM   #9
2 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Currently Looking...
Louisburg , North Carolina
The same thing happened to me and it was because the boiler was loseing too much heat.
The boiler insulation may need replaced. If a lot of heat is excapeing the unit won't cool down. Feel the outside metal of the boiler. If it is very hot to the touch, then too much heat is excapeing and the boiler is not doing it's job. It should only be warm to the touch. If it is hot to the touch, then take the metal wrap off the boiler and reinsulate with fresh new insulation. It will make a world of difference in it's abilty to cool.
Mainstream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2010, 08:59 PM   #10
3 Rivet Member

2004 25' Safari
1971 27' Overlander
1957 22' Caravanner
Jourdanton , Texas
This past week during a trip through west Texas and NM where outside temps reached upper 90's and 100's the fridge barely managed to keep the temp in the mid 40's. Overnight it would get down to 37 or 38. In order to maintain what cooling we had, we only opened the fridge when absolutely necessary. (we kept our beer and water bottles in a cooler in the back of the truck!) Michael, next time I'm going to try your ice block trick.

Paula
pienjim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2010, 07:39 AM   #11
3 Rivet Member

2000 23' Safari
Vero Beach , Florida
Re: battery powered fan for inside of refer...Camping world has them but I have seen them in other places. They sit on the bottom shelf and blow the cold air up. I think that is the problem - the cold air settles to the bottom. They use two "D" cells and are inexpensive. They look like a small squirrel cage blower. My wife's lettuce was always freezing (lettuce is chick food!) and the little fan solved that issue as well.
mhilley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2010, 08:39 AM   #12
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Sioux Falls , South Dakota
Quote:
Originally Posted by mhilley View Post
Re: battery powered fan for inside of refer...Camping world has them but I have seen them in other places. They sit on the bottom shelf and blow the cold air up. I think that is the problem - the cold air settles to the bottom. They use two "D" cells and are inexpensive. They look like a small squirrel cage blower. My wife's lettuce was always freezing (lettuce is chick food!) and the little fan solved that issue as well.
Nice tip! Thanks!
Splitrock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2010, 09:09 AM   #13
3 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Louisville , United States
Checked mine last weekend in very hot weather (over 100 degrees) and found the following measurements:

Lower compartment cooling aluminum fins--28 degrees
Interior of the fridge--51 degrees
Freezer: -6 degrees

The suggestion to switch to propane worked well too.

I checked our regular fridge at home, and it does keep things cooler, but with a much more sophisticated fan system instead of aluminum cooling fins only. I concluded the fridge is directly affected by opening and closing the door, especially in hot weather (duh!!). Imagine all of the cold air flowing downward to the floor each time the door is opened. I like the fan idea.
SSChanger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2010, 10:14 AM   #14
Tramp Streamer
Commercial Member

1995 28' Excella
Artist , at Large
SS, sound like the coils are working just fine. To me, your door seals are leaking. Visually give them a eyeball, also see if you can slip a postcard between the seals and reffer body. As for the fan inside, I hard wired a "HARD DRIVE" pancake fan and mounted it to one of the racks.

Stay cool....