Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-23-2003, 10:53 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

Send a message via ICQ to overlander76 Send a message via AIM to overlander76 Send a message via Yahoo to overlander76
First pipes now fridge...

The refer door was sticking on the bottom and I noticed there was water all over the bottom of the fridge and leaking out the door on the floor. It was icing up on the bottom of the door and for some reason it's defrosting and the ice is melting into the tray thing, draining down the hose into the little tiny thing that directs the water outside. However the little tiny thing that funnels it out is frozen and it's overflowing. My question is, could this have something to do with the cold? It's zero outside. Why is it defrosting? Maybe it does this all the time and I'm just noticing it because it's overflowing? I was just outside and noticed that under the refer, visible through the access door outside behind the refer, the skin is open and there is some type of screen material covering the opening. Is this normal? You can see the ground. Is there anything I should keep in mind for operating the fride in cold weather? It's running on electric. The small square pan outside, on the rear of the fridge that collect the water from inside the fridge is dry. It's the stock fridge from 76.

Thanks again-
Brian
overlander76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2003, 11:02 PM   #2
Contributing Member

2018 Interstate Grand Tour Ext
Austin (Hays County) , Texas
When it gets near freezing, the refrigerator no longer needs to cool; since the refrigerator part isn't cooling, the freezer comes up to the ambient temperature also and all the frost will melt. Any ice on the fins in the refrigerator part will melt also.

I ran into this years ago on my first RV with a refrigerator. I went to the dealer complaining that the freezer wasn't staying cold. They explained that when the thermostat in the refrigerator part thinks it is cold enough, the freezer will naturally defrost.
WBCCI #9632
Pahaska is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2003, 11:30 PM   #3
2 Rivet Member

Send a message via ICQ to overlander76 Send a message via AIM to overlander76 Send a message via Yahoo to overlander76
That makes sense.
Old 11-24-2003, 06:24 AM   #4
Still Working

1994 36' Classic 36
North Charleston , South Carolina
Electric fridge

People often ask me why I prefer an electric only reefer.

This is exactly why!

An absorption type reefer is not frost free. I have seen the damage that a frosting reefer van do to the floor below it when it defrosts over the years.

I use an electric only with inverter that runs off of batteries that are connectoed to Charge vehicle.

DOnt be mistaken , I recognize the benefits of a dual or triple power reefer but I also recognize the cost and the drawbacks.
Smily
smily is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2003, 08:04 AM   #5
Moderator Emeritus

1972 31' Sovereign
High Springs , Florida
Send a message via AIM to Pick
Ken, I have an electric only unit in my coach also. So far we like it, and are glad we do not have a tri-power unit.

An idea, I had for longer trips was to run the Honda EU2000i in the bed of the pickup, and run a power line to the fridge vent under the coach. I think this would work great, as long as you are not travelling in inclement weather.

Or, I could just not run the fridge and buy food at the destination.

Most of the time we just pack and run the fridge a day in advance, as we do most of our camping within 3 hours of home.
Lots of Hot Sauce!
Air # 283
WBCCI 1350
Pick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2003, 10:28 AM   #6
Still Working

1994 36' Classic 36
North Charleston , South Carolina
Inverter

You can do as I have and buy 80 dollar inverter or spend more and get a giant one but, all you need is about 700 - 1000 watt inverter, connect to one of your batteries and run extension cord hidden under the unit or through the walls to reefer compartment.

Your batteries are being charged full time from your tow vehicle while in transit or even when you are parked and hooked to tow vehicle while idling.

Some of the later models even come with a dedicated 12 volt circuit for a refrigerator. Dont be confused, I am not saying use this connection for inverter but the charge line is connected directly to your AS battery (s).

A little simple math,

new Dometic Reefer 900-1200 dollars (not frost free, takes long time to cool down and works best if full of articles, theromostat is sometimes tough to figure out)

new apartment reefer that is larger 8.0 to 9.2 cu ft, cools quickly, frost free, works great when empty and thermostat is reliable, never need new heater element, flue cleaning, ignitor, LP, etc...
400.00 dollars if you order online, 270.00 from Home depot or Wal-mart.

Inverter, Radio shacks best 1200 watt inverter 100 dollars!
Hmmm, now lets see,
--------
700 dollars to be spent on new Honda EU1000 that can be used anywhere.
smily is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2003, 01:26 PM   #7
2 Rivet Member

Hey Pick-

When you said "and run a power line to the fridge vent under the coach" did you mean that there is a vent under your fridge. I too have a square or rectangle shaped hole in the floor and the belly pan skin under my fridge on the outside. It has some screen material covering it. I thought this might have been something that someone did on thier own for some reason. Was that cut in at the factory?

Thanks-
Brian
Old 11-24-2003, 01:36 PM   #8
3 Rivet Member

The cutout is original. That allows the vent to "draw" air over the fins on the back of the refer.

Tripp
Tripp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2003, 01:46 PM   #9
2 Rivet Member

Thanks Tripp-

That's good to know, I wanted to get a chunk of metal and rivet it closed. I'll leave it alone. It does serve a good entrance for the cable tv and phone wire.

Brian