Old 09-19-2014, 05:57 PM   #1
Superannuated Member

2001 19' Bambi
Beaver Lake , Arkansas
Fan Switch Location?

I posted this in the 1997-2004 Bambi forum, but it is really a question for anyone with a Dometic refrig in an Airstream. Where is the best place to mount the temp switch for the exterior fans? The attached photo shows my switch screwed and epoxied to the insulation on the cabinet in upper RH corner. This can't be right but I found it that way. I want to move the switch for better fan operation. Photos, please, where is your fan switch mounted?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Fan switch.jpg
Views:	97
Size:	293.9 KB
ID:	222288  

Old 09-19-2014, 06:19 PM   #2
Rivet Master

2017 25' International
Currently Looking...
Currently Looking...
Los Osos , California
My 2013 Bambi has the fridge fan by the door.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Fridge-Fan-Switch-vh.jpg
Views:	50
Size:	229.4 KB
ID:	222293  

Old 09-20-2014, 01:53 AM   #3
4 Rivet Member

2004 16' International CCD
Chicagoland , Illinois
Yikes! I don't think that will work very well. My switch is mounted to the finned radiator in the upper rear of that panel. It is attached directly to the last fin on the right-hand side.

You'll also want to move that fan so that it is blowing straight from the radiator fins as close as you can get it. My two fan frames are in direct contact with the fins.

You might consider adding at least one more fan possibly two if they fit. Many of us have replaced our fans. It looks to me like your trailer's previous owner may have done the same.

While you're at it you might consider adding a fan to the inside of your refrigerator. I found that I had much more consistent cooling from top to bottom after that mod.

Also my refrigerators performance increased significantly when I switched to run it only on propane. I probably have a bad heating element that I haven't gotten around to fixing.

Good luck!
Old 09-20-2014, 08:05 AM   #4
Rivet Master

2006 23' Safari SE
Biloxi , Mississippi
I do not believe that my frig fan has come on since I bought my trailer. I leave my trailer plugged in and the frig on most of the time to keep the liquid refreshments cold. The temp sensor is attached to the cooling fins. How do I test the fan to make sure that it is working? There also does not appear to be a separate manual on/off switch. The owners manual mentions a switch inside the frig. I can not find that switch. I have identified all the trailer interior switches. Exterior temps have been in the upper 80s and 90s. Frig maintains a fairly constant 41 degrees.

Do you know what a learning experience is? A learning experience is one of those things that says "You know that thing that you just did? Don't do that."
AWCHIEF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2014, 02:32 PM   #5
Superannuated Member

2001 19' Bambi
Beaver Lake , Arkansas
The big fan is a new replacement for the factory one that froze up. The small lower fan is the one from my old power converter, I salvaged it and installed it where the aftermarket kits go. Refer cools fine but I am sure the whole thing would work better if the fans actually came on. The switch has never reached "on temp". Can you show me a pic of your switch please, airrogant? I was thinking of putting it on the fins of the top tube. Awchief, the outside fans on my trailer had an inline fuse in the exterior refer compartment. If the fuse has power, jumper the temp switch and the fans should run. Interstateflyer, thanks for the photo. I guess that is a manual fan switch, but mine does not have one. I only have the temp switch. Maybe that is so you can turn it off to stop the noise?
Old 09-21-2014, 04:26 PM   #6
Rivet Master

2006 23' Safari SE
Biloxi , Mississippi
Got off my duff and broke out the meter. Fan has good DC voltage (13.74). Jumped the temp switch and still did not run. Took that sw out of the ckt and still no fan. Tells me that I have a bad fan and possibly a bad temp sw. Time to do some fan shopping.

Do you know what a learning experience is? A learning experience is one of those things that says "You know that thing that you just did? Don't do that."
Old 09-21-2014, 04:58 PM   #7
Rivet Master

2006 23' Safari SE
Biloxi , Mississippi
What is the temp range for the thermal switch?

Old 09-21-2014, 07:53 PM   #8
Superannuated Member

2001 19' Bambi
Beaver Lake , Arkansas
I don't know the exact temp settings of either the new or old switch, guess I should test them. The replacement was billed as having a lower "on temp" for improved fan operation. When operating on propane the interior is plenty cold. The top of the refrigerator cabinet gets quite warm and hot air comes out around the buttons and seams in the front panel. Whatever the temp setting, it seems like the fans should be on in those conditions.
Old 09-21-2014, 09:14 PM   #9
Rivet Master

2012 25' Flying Cloud
Battle Lake , Minnesota
I really dislike the idea of these upper fridge doors for ventilation (but especially like the conv/microwave it allows over our fridge). Heated air wants to go up and out, not sideways so they put a little fan in there to try coax the air through those tight little louver openings.

The fan is not very effective, it helps a lot to prop open the door so the hot air can actually get out of there on its own, prop upper and lower doors open for even more airflow. The fan doesn't make much difference when we do. I'd like a much better fan when we can't.

Meantime, I just got a little inline lamp switch and put it on the power wire to the barely effective power robbing noisy little fan.

The Truth is More Important Than the Facts
dkottum is offline   Reply With Quote