Old 04-12-2005, 11:17 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

Rivet Fan on fridge

Had the AS out last week dry camping so I had the fridge running on propane. It seemed like the fan on the fridge was running constantly. Is it suppose to do that and if so why? I was looking at an 05 19' Bambi, mine is an 04 and it had a "fridge fan off" toggle switch by the door. Seems like a good idea. Can anyone enlighten me on this subject?

Old 04-13-2005, 02:45 AM   #2
Rivet Master

1992 34' Limited
Falls Church , Virginia
Prepared Fridge?

Howdy -

Did you prepare the fridge about 1 day in advance of your trip? Then plave the pre-chilled items into it and off you go..... The Fridge fan is simply to more the air within the fridgeunit around to eliminate the "Hot Spots" that are likely t0o ocur. Hope that this helps.

Ciao

Axel

Old 04-13-2005, 07:32 PM   #3
Just a member

1978 28' Argosy 28
Tampa Bay , Florida
Send a message via AIM to thenewkid64 Send a message via Yahoo to thenewkid64 Send a message via Skype™ to thenewkid64
All the fan off toggle is for is to eliminate the noise when you do not need the fan. I believe in '04 they had a thermistor that turned the fan on as needed. You could add a switch, but that could defeat the purpose of the fan.

Silvertoy, FYI The model he has is not equipped with a roof vent for the fridge heat. There is a fan in the refer compartment to move the hot air out.
WBCCI #5501 AIR # 49
-------------------------
1978 Argosy 28 foot Motorhome

Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something. -- Plato

thenewkid64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2005, 08:20 PM   #4
4 Rivet Member

2004 16' International CCD
Arcata , California
ardenrj,

You really need to go to this link... http://www.airforums.com/forum...ight=fan+noise
It makes a world of difference.
Jamie
Old 04-14-2005, 12:11 AM   #5
Aluminut

2004 25' Safari
. , Illinois
You know, while looking at the Dometic site, I noticed that on a few models, they offer several different kits as upgrades and accessories. One that I noticed was a fan kit......

http://www.dometic.com/templates/Product,3268,2428.aspx
Computers manufactured by companies such as IBM, Compaq and millions of others are by far the most popular with about 70 million machines in use worldwide. Macintosh fans note that cockroaches are far more numerous than humans and that numbers alone do not denote a higher life form. -NY Times 11/91
Silvertwinkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2005, 12:08 PM   #6
3 Rivet Member

2005 31' Classic
Gretna , Nebraska
I have had poor performance on gas in that it doesn't cool too well, especiallyin warmer weathr. I checked out this site and bought a fan. Removed the rain cap from the top of the fridge vent because I could feel some debris in there. I found that the screen was about 40% blocked by pine needles etc. This should be a pretty cheap fix. I will install the fan too. We are headed for Texas Friday. I hate sour milk!

Thanks to all the good discussion provided on this and related threads. My only remaining challenge will be to find 12v power for the fan. That shouldn't be too hard in an RV.

Dwight
Old 05-04-2005, 04:07 PM   #7
Rivet Master

2004 22' International CCD
Spotsylvania , Virginia
The 12v Silenex fan is very quiet. I've used one on my 22' CCD for a year now and it is a big improvement over the stock fan. I highly recommend it.
2004 22' CCD
1997 F-150
TAC VA-12
AIR# 4749
ex WBCCI# 1430
rseagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2005, 10:31 PM   #8
3 Rivet Member

2005 31' Classic
Gretna , Nebraska
There is no "stock" fan on my '86 model. I have only one access point, way down at the bottom. Will it do any good to mount the fan about a foot above the floor (aimed upward, of course)? For now, I am hoping that my cleaning efforts (pine needles removed from top of vent outlet) will improve performance. I will have the fan along as I leave for east Texas in the morning. If I have problems with cooling I will add the fan.

Dwight
Nebraska
Old 05-06-2005, 07:59 AM   #9
Just a member

1978 28' Argosy 28
Tampa Bay , Florida
Send a message via AIM to thenewkid64 Send a message via Yahoo to thenewkid64 Send a message via Skype™ to thenewkid64
Any additional forced airflow will help the refer cool. I have always added a fan in my coaches and it makes a difference. The fan will "help" the designed convection flow of air through the space. You may want to have some sort of switch wired in so you can control the run times, at night the fan is not normally needed and it can get "loud" when everything else is quiet.
WBCCI #5501 AIR # 49
-------------------------
1978 Argosy 28 foot Motorhome

Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something. -- Plato

thenewkid64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2005, 12:37 PM   #10
Rivet Master

LOST , Hawaii
In HVAC they use snap discs. These turn fans off and on, work great for fans on the back of the frig. Usually they are about $8-10 so the one in the link is kind of steep. Mount it high above all the coils and they are automatic. I used 2 small computer fans in parallel and they can only be heard from a few feet. If this is too loud they can be hooked in series.
Old 06-29-2005, 09:29 PM   #11
2 Rivet Member

1983 27' Excella
French Settlement , Louisiana
I just came back from a nightmare trip to the coast in south Louisiana, heat.First could not get ac to work right.Then noticed the fridge was only kool.both have work before so I am unsure. the fridge was not started ahead of time.But works good in the yard before.The ac compressor came on and went off at its desire and ideas before I give up and go to the RV shop Billy
Old 06-30-2005, 07:20 AM   #12
Rivet Master

1978 31' Sovereign
Texas Airstream Harbor , Zavalla, in the Deep East Texas Piney Woods on Lake Sam Rayburn
Quote:
Originally Posted by housebg
I just came back from a nightmare trip to the coast in south Louisiana, heat.....the fridge was not started ahead of time.But works good in the yard before.The ac compressor came on and went off at its desire...ideas......
Billy:

You didn't say if the fridge was on electric or gas, I assume electric since you were attempting to run the AC. The older fridges are somewhat sensitive to "level", but, since I lived in South Louisiana for 30 years I would imagine you would have a difficult time finding a spot that was NOT Coon A$$ "flat".

The fridge (Dometic) in the '87 MoHo will put out, at the most, a delta 40 degrees - if the outside temp is 90 degrees, on electric I am happy if the fridge section will maintain 50 degrees...the freezer section will be below 32 degrees, but the "cool" has a difficult time morphing down to the lower section. This is with a table fan blowing "up" across the coils to help with the heat transfer. Performance on gas is noticeably less efficient.

On the AC - invest an Andrew Jackson in a voltage indicator as below - low voltage is a real killer of AC's - at least knowing if there is proper voltage going to the trailer system will eliminate a goodly number of steps in the trouble shooting checklist - IF you get into a campground with low voltage to the trailer, leave immediately before the low voltage scenario does irreparable harm to your electric appliances.

Another source of low voltage could be your plug connection. It only takes a few minutes to take the back of your plug and inspect the connections for corrosion. Second pic below is of the plug on the '79 Sovereign as purchased late last year. Note that the black and white wires are reversed from their proper positions.
Attached Images

"Suck it up, spend the bucks, do it right the first time."

WBCCI # 1113
AirForums #1737

Trailer '78 31' Sovereign

Living Large at an Airstream Park on the Largest Lake Totally Contained in Texas
Texas Airstream Harbor, Inc.
87MH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2005, 08:22 AM   #13
2 Rivet Member

1983 27' Excella
French Settlement , Louisiana
Hello fellow texan born and raised. where is katy sounds like I should know but can not think.the fridge was tryed both ways.It was not pre cooled.In the yard it was bursting can drinks and freezing on high in the bottom.Ac compressor would kick on and run for an hour or two and would freeze you to death then off it would go I was thinking the thermastat ( bad spelling).Dou you have a rock guard for your traler I know where one is you may be able to get cheep the hole trailer is junk out