2 Rivet Member

1968 22' Safari
1977 31' Sovereign
1977 Argosy 28
1977 28' Argosy 28
Mystic , Connecticut
Send a message via Skype™ to woodysdad
first question?

well here goes, this is my first question (and it might sound a bit simplistic) I just acquired a 1977 sovereign international and we're planning on going to the "vintage trailer jam' in july and while I'm getting my unit prepped and ready to go I am having trouble figuring out how to clean and make ready my dometic fridge (ac/gas) is there anyone out there that know of written instructions on how to clean the burner and working bits on one of these units if so please let me know, thanks

Old 08-10-2008, 07:54 PM   #16
Rivet Master

2016 28' Flying Cloud
Brandenburg , Kentucky
Same Question

I would also like to see written instructions, and maybe even photos of how to service the refrig. Mine works like a charm on 110v, but not on propane. All other propane devices work well (stove/oven/water heater/furnace). I can hear the ignitor trying to light, but nothing. Hate to pay to have maintenance if it's something that I can do.

Thanks

Old 08-10-2008, 08:43 PM   #17
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
You can follow the instrauctions in post 3 and 4 above.

You can also invest in a "service manual" that covers what to do and how to do it, for the complete trailer.

That manual will save you bunches of money, anytime you wish to repair something in or on your Airstream..

Andy
Old 09-01-2008, 09:06 AM   #18
Rivet Master

2009 27' FB Flying Cloud
1991 35' Airstream 350
Jay , Oklahoma
During a dry camp this weekend, I found our refer not properly cooling. It was almost cool, but not enough to freeze bottled water completely solid in the freezer. When we got home, I plugged the shore line, and went in for a few hours before cleaning up the trailer, and to check pricing on a new refer. Much to my surprise, when I returned to the trailer, I found the water frozen hard. I tried to new batch of bottles, confirmed that the refer works fine on electric.

Now, after searching the trusty forums I found this thread and help. I speculate, that a recent "upgrade" (replacement) of the valve that switches between full and empty propane tanks, is the culprit. I assume it is supplying a lower flow pressure than the previous regulator.

Is anyone aware of varying pressure models of these valves? My local parts dealer had only this one model one the shelf.

Thanks!
jdalrymple is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2008, 10:08 AM   #19
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdalrymple View Post
During a dry camp this weekend, I found our refer not properly cooling. It was almost cool, but not enough to freeze bottled water completely solid in the freezer. When we got home, I plugged the shore line, and went in for a few hours before cleaning up the trailer, and to check pricing on a new refer. Much to my surprise, when I returned to the trailer, I found the water frozen hard. I tried to new batch of bottles, confirmed that the refer works fine on electric.

Now, after searching the trusty forums I found this thread and help. I speculate, that a recent "upgrade" (replacement) of the valve that switches between full and empty propane tanks, is the culprit. I assume it is supplying a lower flow pressure than the previous regulator.

Is anyone aware of varying pressure models of these valves? My local parts dealer had only this one model one the shelf.

Thanks!
Before you invest any money in another valve, try the following first.

Check the LPG pressure. It should be between 11 and 13 inches of water column pressure. 12 inches is better.

Next, take the burner apart and clean it. That should be done every 4 to 5 years or so. If the burner orifice is partially plugged up, and that's also what you will find, then it limits the amount of LPG that can burn, which in turn means the flame is not hot enough. The result of that is exactly what your describing.

Many owners fire up the reefer before they start their trip, and it checks out fine.

When they get to their campsite, then they encounter what you have. The problem is caused by the trailer bouncing around, which loosens some rust particles within the reefer flue, which falls into the burner and orifice.

Use caution when cleaning the flue, since you will find a spiral piece of metal within the flue. It's purpose is to keep the heat within the flue as long as possible.

When you fire the reefer back up, make sure that the freezer compartment shelf plate, is level. If not, it can also reduce the cooling.

Let us know what you find out.

Andy