Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Interior Restoration Forum > Refrigerators
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 05-24-2007, 07:12 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

2006 25' Safari SS SE
Belvidere , Illinois
Electric Probs w/ Fridge, Help!

Hi all... we are (of course) exhausted after a 400 mile trip today and have landed for a one night stop on the road to discover our fridge will not power up on either 30 amp or off propane. We have been trying like Hell to figure out how to get the outside fuse box cover off to check the fuse and WOW. What a confusing mess that is. We have an '06 Safari. Anyone know anything about this? Got a fridge full of stuff going bad.... would love to check that fuse! The black cover over that box will not budge no matter how we come at it.

Thanks!!!!

Visit our travel blog "Full Hook Ups"
silverpeanut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2007, 07:23 PM   #2
Rivet Master

2007 30' Classic
Hernando , Mississippi
There should be in inside fuse box, under the bed, next to the converter/inverter. At least that is where it was on our 06 Safari....
Good luck

Fully retired now!
Remember:
Never start anything before noon and always plan on being finished by 5.
I will never HAVE to be anywhere ever again!
ScottW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2007, 07:28 PM   #3
2 Rivet Member

2006 25' Safari SS SE
Belvidere , Illinois
Hi Scott...yah, everything in that one checks out fine. The fridge manual says the fuse we need to be checking is the one on the outside. It's encased in this hard black plastic cover that shows a cryptic diagram of how to open it with a screw driver but the image printed on it does not match the actual cover configuration at all. Go figure.

Old 05-24-2007, 07:30 PM   #4
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

Vintage Kin Owner
Naples , Florida
peanut,

There usually IS a fuse inside the control box at the back of the fridge. There are 2 tabs (one at either side) that can be depressed with a screwdriver to access the fuse inside. Slide the box cover toward you and you should see the fuse.

Have you checked the 12VDC that feeds into the fridge? Put a test light or voltmeter on the 2 wires going into the 2 pole white terminal, usually located about center of the fridge at floor level. The wires vary in colort, but are usually red/black , black/white or red/yellow with the first color being +12VDC . If you have 12 VDC incoming, it is either a bad fuse (hopefully) or a bad board.

Good luck!
lewster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2007, 07:43 PM   #5
2 Rivet Member

2006 25' Safari SS SE
Belvidere , Illinois
Ohhhh Lew! Thank you so much for taking the time to write that out for me. But what you have made me realize is this.... we are sooo not figuring this out or fixing it ourselves! Lol! I have to kiss the stuff in the fridge goodbye and get to a dealer for repair tomorrow. We don't have a test light or voltmeter and we are pretty lost in this whole realm of fixing stuff in the first place. Hopeless. I thought I would jump on here and see what y'all had to say though....just in case we WERE able to figue it out!

Ah, I am so ready for bed. What a day. To top it off we have OVERLY friendly neighbors who can't take the hint that we are not into the idea of hanging out and shooting the breeze after our 9 hour drive today.

Thanks again!
Bethany

Old 05-24-2007, 07:49 PM   #6
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

Vintage Kin Owner
Naples , Florida
Get a block of ice (or 2), wrap it in plastic and put it in the fridge......BIG COOLER!

And it will keep your stuff cool until you get to the dealer.
lewster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2007, 08:19 PM   #7
2 Rivet Member

2006 25' Safari SS SE
Belvidere , Illinois
I just took a freezing cold shower (also just realized that the hot water heater is not coming on) so maybe I should crawl in the fridge to keep the stuff cold!! HA! What a DAY!

Lew... is it probable that a wicked bumpy road would crack a fuse or two? The hwy here in PA we drove on this afternoon was nightmare. We did find a dealership a few miles from where we are headed in MA tomorrow so hopefully we can get in there for the fixer upper.