Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-22-2004, 03:02 PM   #1
Rivet Master

1968 22' Safari
1976 27' Overlander
Newport , Washington
Electric or Gas electric fridge replacement??

What is the general opinion of replacing a BIG old fridge in our 76 Overlander??? Should we use electric or Gas/electric????

THanks
Ron & Tony
tin can luv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2004, 03:05 PM   #2
Rivet Master

2005 28' International CCD
Pagosa Springs , Colorado
fridge

I like the electric & gas combo. Boondocking requires gas. Also, when driving I keep the gas on to keep the fridge going & then plug in when I get parked. Remember to turn off the gas before pulling into a gas station though.

Tin Hut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2004, 03:19 PM   #3
Rivet Master

1968 22' Safari
1976 27' Overlander
Newport , Washington
Question 3way diagnostic

So the 3 way diagnostic will work? What happens if I pull into a gastation with the gas on??? I dare ask....
Old 01-22-2004, 03:22 PM   #4
Rivet Master

2019 25' Flying Cloud
Airstream - Other
Airstream - Other
North Central Texas , USA
Open flame + gas vapors = possible combustion and rapid expansion!!!!
-Better Safe than sorry.
P.S. The 2-way refer. boils the ammonia gas in the unit by either a propane fueled flame or an A/C heat strip, the condensation of that gas removes the heat from the 'fridge'. ...
RivetED is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2004, 03:24 PM   #5
Rivet Master

2005 28' International CCD
Pagosa Springs , Colorado
?

Don't know what a 3 way diagnostic is (but if it includes Guinnes and some close friends I'm in) ,but if you've got the gas on, there's flame/heating element that could spark gas vapors. Some aren't concerned about it, but I prefer to take the extra 2 minutes, pull over, and shut off the gas before pulling into the station.

Tin Hut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2004, 04:19 PM   #6
Rivet Master

1968 22' Safari
1976 27' Overlander
Newport , Washington
Unhappy SHould I replace this???

Yah, this is what's in there now... what a rust bucket!!!
Attached Images

Old 01-22-2004, 04:43 PM   #7
Just a member

1978 28' Argosy 28
Lutz , Florida
Send a message via AIM to thenewkid64 Send a message via Yahoo to thenewkid64
I would replace it.

There are 4 different options. Almost all will require you to run 12 Volts to the rear of the refer.

Replace it with an Electronic ignition gas/electric model. 12 volt feed /draw is minimal. The gas is already there.

Replace it with a 12VDC/LP/Electric model with electronic ignition. 12 volt DC for the LP portion is the same, but to use it as designed you will need to run a large feed from the tow vehicle to feed the 12 volt draw that it needs while underway. This would be in lieu of using the LP to keep food cold while underway.

The third option would be to use a Norcold 12VDC/120 VDC model that uses no gas. The compressor can run on either. The draw on this would be less that the 12 VDC fed heater, above but the boondocking capabilities are going to be limited by battery capacity.

Lastly you could install a 120V apartment style compressor based refer. In order to keep this unit running while on the road would require a mid sized inverter and the proper sized wire from the battery to the unit. You would not be able to do ANY boondocking for any length of time as the 12 volt battery would only support you for a few hours of run time if even.

Now that I have you completely confused allow me to offer a bit of advice. Remove the old refer first. Measure the opening and be very accurate on the depth of the opening. The newer units that are available and are supposed to be an exact replacement rarely are. You may need to raise it off the floor and make a filler plate for the top or bottom to complete the install.
WBCCI #5501 AIR # 49
-------------------------
1978 Argosy 28 foot Motorhome

Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something. -- Plato

thenewkid64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2004, 06:06 PM   #8
3 Rivet Member

tin can luv,

Is the refer not working? If it is working, I'd just clean it up and add new seals. The one in my 73 is a RM75. I think its the same as yours. Mine too had rust on it. I took everything out, masked off the surrounding area and scrubbed/sanded all the steel pieces, painted with a gloss Grey Rustoleum (3 thin coats worked best). I cleaned all the plastic and shelves. Put a new seal on the door and voila' . . . new fridge.

While a new three way computer controlled unit is a dream to use, I like the continuity of the old fridge. Everything just looks like it should. Besides, its a lot cheaper this way!

Now, having said that, my 56 will be a frame off and it will have the best of everything in it. But thats only because I have to replace everything. Cabinets included.

Good Luck!

Tripp
Tripp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2004, 07:29 PM   #9
Moderator Emeritus

1972 31' Sovereign
High Springs , Florida
Send a message via AIM to Pick
I have a 120 V apartment fridge in mine. Most campgrounds we stay in have electric. When we boondock, we use the Honda generator and run it most of the day. Most of our trips are within 3 hours of home so we just put ice or plastic blue ice thingees in there until we are destinated. On a long trip, such as a 15 hour journey to Florida, buy the perishables at the destination.
Lots of Hot Sauce!
Air # 283
WBCCI 1350
Pick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2004, 08:30 PM   #10
Moderator Emeritus

1964 26' Overlander
1978 Argosy Minuet 6.0 Metre
Anna , Illinois
Send a message via Yahoo to overlander64
Electric or Gas/Electric Refrigerator Replacement??

Greetings Tin Can Luv!

When I purchased my '64 Overlander in '95 the only issue I had with it was that the previous owner had replaced the Dometic with a Kenmore compressor type refrigerator. It was a nightmare for the first four years that I owned the trailer - - it just was not a practical answer to refrigeration needs for one who uses the trailer for extended vacations - - in the past, I had always had a 3-way RV refrigerator and had always been pleased with its operation. After struggling through the '98 WBCCI International in Boise, ID with no refrigeration (relied on an ice chest that meant a daily trip plus $5 for ice); I was determined that the Kenmore would find its way to the nearest recycler.

In '99 after the WBCCI International in Dayton (the cost for ice was up to $7.50 per day during this rally plus the nearest vendor was far less convenient than in Boise), the trailer made its way to Ace Fogdall RV for a new 3-Way Dometic Refrigerator. It has been a fantastic refrigerator - - only marginally larger than the original with a front panel that coordinates with the wood in the original cabinetry (actually is less obvious than the original unit - - I remember it well as friends of my family purchased the trailer new). The controls for the new refrigerator are also top mounted rather than bottom mounted - - no more crawling around on the floor trying to deal with controls on the bottom. The nice thing, for me, is that I rarely need to operate it on propane (I dislike gas appliances of any kind RV or home) - - it works as well on 12-volt as it does on either of the two other power sources. The plus with running on 12-volt while traveling is that it isn't necessary to worry about whether the refrigerator is off or on as there is no open flame - - in fact, I travel with my LP valves in the off position.

I am so well pleased with the Dometic 3-way RV Refrigerator in my Overlander that there is no question in my mind that when the original Dometic in my Minuet fails its replacement will be a similar Dometic 3-way Refrigerator. The compressor type refrigerator will be somewhat less costly (probably 1/3 the cost) of a quality RV refrigerator, but there are significant trade-offs in terms of flexibility.

Good luck with your refrigerator dilemma!

Kevin
WBCCI (Lifetime Member)/VAC #7864
AIR #827
1964 Overlander International
overlander64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2004, 02:18 PM   #11
2 Rivet Member

FRIDGE TAKE OUT

Noticed a frind parked beside me this year used far less electricity per month...ran it down to the fridges. his 110 and mine 12 volt...
I,m going to a 110v volt not only for power but for space and less sweating....
TOM BOONE 1987 SOVEREIGN 25' WBCCI#14120
tomb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2004, 04:48 PM   #12
Rivet Master

1968 22' Safari
1976 27' Overlander
Newport , Washington
That's great to know, we haven't bought the fridge yet, and like to know where we'll save money in the long run.
Old 03-20-2004, 09:55 AM   #13
4 Rivet Member

Send a message via Yahoo to silver suz
ref on 110 volt and 12 volt???

I was going to get a Sunfrost- the most efficient ref in the world but $2,000 is scaring me off and the freezer space in minimal. does anyone know of an energy efficient fridge that can run both 12 volt and 110? silver suz- size is no matter- everything is torn out. silversuz. Can't tolerate propane or generators in a big way.
silver suz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2004, 11:14 AM   #14
Rivet Master

2001 34' Limited
The State of , Ohio
Using 12V RV refrigeration isn't practical for the long-term. The 12V heater on RV refrigerators isn't as powerful as the 120V or propane heater. That's to keep its power draw within the capability of tow vehicle wiring and connector plug. It's intended only to MAINTAIN temperature while on the road.

Second only to black tank sensors that aren't accurate, the 12V refrigeration was the most frequent complaint when I was an RV tech. People expected it to cool-down the frig before they departed. It won't do that. They were shocked at how quickly it ran the batteries down when the tow vehicle engine wasn't running. It's not intended for that. In the Florida heat, sometimes it wouldn't even keep the frig cold enough underway. 12V capability on the frig caused so many consumer complaints that most RV manufacturers quit offering it.

Using an inverter to power the 120V heater will take a LOT of 12VDC amps, and will require heavy dedicated wiring from the tow vehicle alternator, not only to handle the number of amps, but to prevent voltage drop which can have the inverter shutting off due to undervoltage. And it will run batteries dead even quicker than the 12V heater when the tow vehicle isn't running.

Most of us have propane as a backup if the 120VAC goes out. The frig switches automatically. Some of us can also backup 120VAC with a generator.

Silver Suz, if you want non-propane, non-gasoline backup for the frig, and you expect it to last a good length of time, you'd best have a high efficiency refrigerator like the Sun Frost.
Old 03-20-2004, 03:37 PM   #15
4 Rivet Member

Now that all the propane units and lines have been pulled out and put away, with a couple of 80+degrees breezy days (This IS Texas) I can now go near the trailer without having a major relapse.

A. It confirms what propane can do to me, and convinced me that I certainly like breathing, even if it's just a little.

B makes me really scared to be alone in an RV park with all that propane around, or even with someone else with me.

C I am feeling overwhelmed right now. The guys are working on getting all the pink insulation out and the black goo that's toxic 40 years later.

D. the floor is rotten and needs to be dealt with and we are losing our major muscle back to college tomorrow. We need new tanks.

E. John doesnt want to put the monocouque (sp?) fiberglass one piece ends back in. It took 3 with major effort to take them out.He doesnt buy the reason that it needs the end forms for integral integrity. and what can I do with a mech engineer who has been designing peterbilt trucks for 30 years??? He is being a major mule about this. How can I convince them they are necessary?

F I want a herd of pink plastic flamingos now. It keeps my mind off everything else silver suz

G I may be better off getting a freezer and a seperate refer. Same price, more freezer space, but more weight.
Old 03-20-2004, 03:49 PM   #16
Rivet Master

1964 26' Overlander
1974 31' Sovereign
Milton , ON
Re: Electric or Gas/Electric Refrigerator Replacement??

Quote:
Originally posted by overlander64
the trailer made its way to Ace Fogdall RV for a new 3-Way Dometic Refrigerator.
Kevin [/B]
Hi Kevin,

What's the model number on that Dometic fridge? I think we need the same one.

thanks,

Grant
DavidsonOverlander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2004, 04:07 PM   #17
Rivet Master

2001 34' Limited
The State of , Ohio
I'm not an engineer, but I gotta believe the interior end caps give some diagonal support assitance to the external one. I don't know how else you're going to finish the compound curved interior aesthetically without them.

I don't believe you can stack Sun Frost units. Their cooling unit is on top and should be unobstructed. An RF16 is both a little cheaper and a little lighter than separate 4 cu ft refrigerator and 4 cu ft freezer. It does use a little more power than the two separates, but offers twice the interior capacity.
Old 03-20-2004, 04:12 PM   #18
4 Rivet Member

sun frosts and end caps

Yes, I guess I really want the rf -16. and I'll get the caps back on by hook or by crook. I'll go out and check on the work now.
Thanks, silver suz. P.S. Real goods is supposed to be figureing out a solar pkge for me. I have to measure the available roof space.

silver suz
Old 03-21-2004, 11:46 AM   #19
Moderator Emeritus

1964 26' Overlander
Anna , Illinois
Send a message via Yahoo to overlander64
Electric or Gas electric fridge replacement??

Greetings Grant!

Quote:
What's the model number on that Dometic fridge? I think we need the same one.
I checked the materials that I haven't yet packed for the move, and the refrigerator information is either with the Overlander (400 miles South of here) or have already been packed. I checked the Dometic web site and was able to verify that it is the Americana Series and either model number RM2551 or RM2554. The information on the web isn't complete regarding the fuel method and I believe one it a 2-way and the other is the 3-way model. You can view the pdf information on these refrigerators at:

Dometic Americana Series Refrigerators (RV)

The one thing that I can verify is that the refrigerator is very marginally wider than the original (requires enlarging the opening by a generous 1/4"), and is somewhat taller than the original (requires enlarging the opening height by about 1.25"). The solution on my coach was to remove the drawer above the refigerator to gain the extra height without raising the TV shelf which would have meant that my current TV would no longer fit on the shelf. It would be possible to raise the drawer unit by making a new side panel for the refrigerator cabinet but the trade-off is a significant loss in room for a Television on the counter above the refrigerator. This may not be true of all Overlanders, but appears to be common to the '63 and '64 models.

Even with the required modifications, I would not consider changing my decision in any way. The refrigerator has met my every requirement and is miles ahead of the original Dometic as well as the original Dometic in my '78 Minuet.

Kevin
WBCCI (Lifetime Member)/VAC #7864
AIR #827
1964 Overlander International
overlander64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2004, 12:30 PM   #20
4 Rivet Member

sun frost frigerator

Does anyone have a sun Frost refrigerator? They are super insulated and superefficient made to run on solar or 12 volt. Does anyone have any experience with these? Especially the RF-16?

silver suz