Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-21-2004, 02:12 PM   #21
Rivet Master

1964 26' Overlander
1974 31' Sovereign
Milton , ON
Re: Electric or Gas electric fridge replacement??

Quote:
Originally posted by overlander64
Greetings Grant!

The one thing that I can verify is that the refrigerator is very marginally wider than the original (requires enlarging the opening by a generous 1/4"), and is somewhat taller than the original (requires enlarging the opening height by about 1.25").
Kevin
Thanks Kevin.
It sounds like our trailers had different fridges as original equipment. The fridge opening is 21.75" wide and 40.25" high. Our fridge is on the street side and has no drawer above it.

Grant
DavidsonOverlander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2004, 02:52 PM   #22
Moderator Emeritus

1964 26' Overlander
1978 Argosy Minuet 6.0 Metre
Anna , Illinois
Send a message via Yahoo to overlander64
Electric or Gas electric fridge replacement??

Greetings Grant!

Quote:
It sounds like our trailers had different fridges as original equipment. The fridge opening is 21.75" wide and 40.25" high. Our fridge is on the street side and has no drawer above it.
I hadn't thought about the potential for differences. You must have the center Double rather than the center Twins as I have. Your drawers are likely on the curbside in the cabinet next to the door. In the center Twin, there isn't a separate drawer cabinet - - just the one drawer above the refrigerator in the original configuration. According to the '64 Airstream brochure, you have much more generous kitchen storage in your floorplan than I have in mine. According to the brochure, the refrigerator was the same for both floorplans (5.5 cubic foot Dometic 2-Way - - Model M52 (?)) - - slightly different mounting arrangements. My coach is actually on either its third or fourth refrigerator - - the third that I am certain of - - it still had its original Dometic in 1979.

Good luck with your refrigerator selection!

Kevin
WBCCI (Lifetime Member)/VAC #7864
AIR #827
1964 Overlander International
1978 Argosy Minuet 6.0 Metre
overlander64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2004, 03:09 PM   #23
Just a member

1978 28' Argosy 28
Lutz , Florida
Send a message via AIM to thenewkid64 Send a message via Yahoo to thenewkid64
If you want to stay away from the propane you could get a Norcold Marine unit. It is a compressor based unit that will run on 12 VDC or 120VAC. It will be sized long the lines of what was in there, but I do not know if it needs additional ventilation like a propane one does.

I do not have one, but I know that the boaters like them since they need no Propane to run. I came across them when I was doing my search for replacement refers.

Good Luck
WBCCI #5501 AIR # 49
-------------------------
1978 Argosy 28 foot Motorhome

Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something. -- Plato

thenewkid64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2004, 04:22 PM   #24
Rivet Master

2001 34' Limited
The State of , Ohio
These are the only Norcold compressor models I could find, and the 7 cu ft DE-0061 looks like the largest. Note that the URL to that page is named DE461.

The link to the "DE-461" on the marine page just takes you to the same page above where the frig is called the DE-0061.

Boaters World only wants $999 for it, plus $125 freight.
Old 03-22-2004, 06:07 AM   #25
Still Working

1994 36' Classic 36
North Charleston , South Carolina
Fridges

Haier makes an apartment size fridge that works well in the typical opening, 55" x 23", cost around 280 to 400 dollars.

It has very little draw and is very efficient.

I have successfully ran 120 volt apartment reefers in two Trailers. The trick is to place the inverter, 700 watt, right next to batteries and run 120 volt line to rear of refrigerator.

This is simply for transit operation. Your tow vehicle will provide enough charge to the batteries as you are running.

Dont be mistaken though, batteries will not last long stand alone.

We too prefer CG's with minimum electrical connection.

Many electrical engineers will argue the operability of this setup, but theory cannot outweigh actual results.

Smily
smily is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2004, 07:13 AM   #26
Aluminut

2004 25' Safari
. , Illinois
Ron,

I like having the LP/AC option. In over 25 years of camping we have never used a 12 fridge. That is not to say they too don't do a good job, but we've found that the standard fridges out there that run on propane and 110v work extremely well for 99.9% of all situations you encounter when camping.

That said, RV fridges are very costly. That could be the reason a bunch of folks go with a standard compressor type fridge. My vote however would be to look into a reconditioned RV fridge that runs on either 110v or LP if the cost of a new one is out of budget. I would particularly go that way if you plan on doing a bunch of boondocking like we do. We go a bit over a week or so with the fridge running on LP gas. It actually works better on LP than on 110v.

Eric
Silvertwinkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2004, 09:50 AM   #27
Rivet Master

2001 34' Limited
The State of , Ohio
Ron, I agree that you should spring for an LP capable RV refrigerator. It's great when boondocking. Here's the large Dometic Airstream put in our 34'.

You can probably find it cheaper than Camping World's price.