Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-29-2010, 05:07 PM   #21
Rivet Master

1979 23' Safari
1954 29' Liner
Orange , California
Globie,

The DanFoss unit does run on 12V and mine (9.5 CF) draws about 3.5 A.

Bill
Bill Kerfoot, WBCCI/VAC/CAC/El Camino Real Unit #5223
Just my personal opinion
1973 Dodge W200 PowerWagon, 1977 Lincoln Continental, 2014 Dodge Durango
1979 23' Safari, and 1954 29' Double Door Liner Orange, CA

https://billbethsblog.blogspot.com/
wkerfoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2010, 06:42 PM   #22
4 Rivet Member

1966 30' Sovereign
1963 22' Safari
orlando , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by pearl66 View Post
I need to replace the fridge in my 66 Tradewind, and was thinking of putting an electric-only in but would like to find one with the closest measurement to original. The original measures 40 1/2 inches by 20 1/2 inches and is 24 inches in depth. If anyone has done this or has any info I would appreciate it. I have been informed that electric-only units are not as durable in an RV, but I travel short distances to area campgrounds. Thank you,,, Kelly
Dear Kelly, I have a '66 Sovereign with an electric replacement fridge. Since I use the Sovereign on a seasonal rate basis,the electric unit works out just fine. Being an Airstream and meant to travel ,it does. I compensate with a good Coleman ice chest.I've had ice last three days with replacement ice available at the park ranger stations in state parks if need be.An ice chest is not a down grade and will not lessen the experience of being out and about.Some people may need that lp fridge.My personal preference is to reach into that cooler and pull out a cold one.I see this as adding to the whole experience.The worth of life is not in dollars and cents.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	work 233.jpg
Views:	106
Size:	240.1 KB
ID:	103526  
richie rich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2010, 11:45 PM   #23
Rivet Master

1975 29' Ambassador
Reno , Nevada
re: "I've heard nothing but good things about the Danfoss compressors." -- you might want to browse through NAWS forum discussions. N Az Wind Sun stopped selling them for reasons worth considering.
bryanl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2010, 06:20 AM   #24
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

2000 25' Excella
Kingston , Tennessee
When our original fridge quit in our 66 tradewind we looked at many different ones to find one of similar size. The best fit was a frigidaire from lowes, plus they had one in silver. Once it was installed it looked great and we never had a problem with it.
https://www.etsy.com/your/listings
Silver Threads is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2010, 07:29 AM   #25
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

Vintage Kin Owner
Naples , Florida
Many of the large bus-type RVs now come with 'residential refrigerators' and many have no propane at all...........they are all-electric.

Of course, when you weigh upwards of 40,000lb GVW, you can have 15KW on-board diesel generators, Aqua-Hot diesel fired hydronic heat/hot water systems, 900 amp/hour battery banks, twin 2000 watt inverters, and so on.

This segment of the RV industry is rapidly approaching the 'house-on wheels' concept visualized by some of the original RV developers 100 years ago.

But for practical purposes, considering weight and space limitations, the Danfoss compressor units afford the best mix of cost, size, performance and low energy consumption.

I might be experimenting with the conversion of my current Norcold unit in my Beaver Coach sooner than I planned, as it seems to not be operating properly. I'll be testing it this week and will start a new thread on the conversion if it happens before I depart for OR.
lewster is offline   Reply With Quote