Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
Old 01-21-2009, 09:51 AM   #15
4 Rivet Member
 
Currently Looking...
holland , Michigan
Join Date: Oct 2007
Posts: 436
Images: 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by vswingfield View Post
Not to be confrontational, but why?
O never confrontational on this forum. Just good info sharing.

I tow nationwide, and have been in the hvac industry for 25 years selling equipment to the industry, so a little history comes with my opinion. I worry about the vibration and all the potential leaks in this ancient system.

Propane is the fuel that we hate, it is dangerous, does stuff that is just scary and most call it the Nasty, migrating, floor crawling, cover your ass fuel.

I thing an all electric unit would sell, my company can make the electric furnace that will plug into the existing poor ductwork of the a/s. It will however be variable speed and MUCH quieter. It would run longer and slower so no huge temp swings, mostly on low when temps have ben satisfied. The rest is well an idea that i might approach next year. Lots of choices on the genny, maybe gas will be lighter and quieter. I will need to have a custom aluminum shroud made to make things look good.

The main reason is I believe a/s needs to step up to new technology and offer better HVAC systems in general. Reliability will improve, and safety is a no brainer. I think a central a/c system is next, get rid of the roof top for good. This could be incorporated into the furnace. Noise is a real problem, we would be out of business in the residential industry if we were this noisy.

Take a look at prevost or marathon or even sportsmobile vans. They are way ahead on all electric and time for us to at least step out of the box and peek around what's going on in the world.
__________________

__________________
safari 28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2009, 09:57 AM   #16
Rivet Master
 
vswingfield's Avatar
 
1983 34' Excella
1967 24' Tradewind
Little Rock , Arkansas
Join Date: Nov 2006
Posts: 3,773
Images: 32
Rivet Good Points

Quote:
Originally Posted by safari 28 View Post
O never confrontational on this forum. Just good info sharing.

I tow nationwide, and have been in the hvac industry for 25 years selling equipment to the industry, so a little history comes with my opinion. I worry about the vibration and all the potential leaks in this ancient system.

Propane is the fuel that we hate, it is dangerous, does stuff that is just scary and most call it the Nasty, migrating, floor crawling, cover your ass fuel.
Have to agree, I literally laughed out loud.
Quote:
Originally Posted by safari 28 View Post
I thing an all electric unit would sell, my company can make the electric furnace that will plug into the existing poor ductwork of the a/s. It will however be variable speed and MUCH quieter. It would run longer and slower so no huge temp swings, mostly on low when temps have ben satisfied. The rest is well an idea that i might approach next year. Lots of choices on the genny, maybe gas will be lighter and quieter. I will need to have a custom aluminum shroud made to make things look good.

The main reason is I believe a/s needs to step up to new technology and offer better HVAC systems in general. Reliability will improve, and safety is a no brainer. I think a central a/c system is next, get rid of the roof top for good. This could be incorporated into the furnace. Noise is a real problem, we would be out of business in the residential industry if we were this noisy.

Take a look at prevost or marathon or even sportsmobile vans. They are way ahead on all electric and time for us to at least step out of the box and peek around what's going on in the world.
I definitely agree about the need for better a/c systems. Have you seen SmoklessJoe's Diesel Powered Trailer? http://www.airforums.com/forums/f287...ler-23048.html Lots of innovation.
__________________

__________________
Vaughan
vswingfield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2009, 06:50 PM   #17
4 Rivet Member
 
Currently Looking...
holland , Michigan
Join Date: Oct 2007
Posts: 436
Images: 1
I have and that is the kind of thinking that is impressive indeed.
__________________
safari 28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2009, 09:12 AM   #18
Rivet Master
 
76sovereign's Avatar
 
1976 31' Sovereign
ozark , Missouri
Join Date: Aug 2007
Posts: 1,032
Images: 28
Blog Entries: 3
I want to know more about how you set this up to charge using the invertor....sounds like what we need to do.
Quote:
Originally Posted by brownsmtnlab View Post
We installed a fridge very similar to the photo Juel posted. We don't boondock a lot, but we do run it while in transit with a 1000 watt inverter. We have never tested how long it will run from the pair of batteries on board, but we have easily let it go 8-10 hours without a recharge from the vehicle or shore power. We did a 3 week, 5000 mile journey last summer and did not have any problem with our fridge. The fridge draws less than 15 amps (at 12 volts) when running... and that averages only 20-25% of the time.....It's worked very well for us.
76sovereign is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2009, 07:36 AM   #19
2 Rivet Member
 
brownsmtnlab's Avatar
 
1970 31' Sovereign
1963 26' Overlander
Greeneville , Tennessee
Join Date: Mar 2006
Posts: 60
Images: 8
The refrigerator we are using shows 1.2 amps at 120volts when running or defrosting....This is key! We found several small fridges that used this small amount of power, so try and use one of them. It will draw more than that for a short time when the compressor starts, so having an inverter rated at 800-1200 watts continuous is necessary. The inverter will allow more power to be drawn for short periods of time. I believe we are using #6 gauge wire direct from the battery terminals to the 12 volt side of the inverter, with a 75amp fuse. The 120 volt end of the inverter is run to a weatherproof box installed in the septic hose storage area with a plug that will accept the 30 amp shore power cord....So basically you plug the airstream into itself and the outlets in the airstream all become active....We make sure NOTHING else is using the 120 volt power but the fridge to avoid overloading the inverter, and this includes turning off the breaker for the air condtioner, because it has a transformer that is active all the time even when your not using it to cool the cabin. While traveling the charge from our F250 has kept the batteries at 100% while using the fridge this way...I hope that helps!
__________________
If you don't know where you're going, any road will take you there
brownsmtnlab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2009, 07:51 AM   #20
2 Rivet Member
 
brownsmtnlab's Avatar
 
1970 31' Sovereign
1963 26' Overlander
Greeneville , Tennessee
Join Date: Mar 2006
Posts: 60
Images: 8
OOPs ...I forgot one important element...next to the inverter there is also a switch to turn OFF the univolt system (120 volt to 12DC)...I wish there was a perpertual motion machine, but my 8th grade science project set me straight on that one! This could be done much more elegantly with some relays and TIME, but it works as is, and I've gotten used to the routine.
__________________
If you don't know where you're going, any road will take you there
brownsmtnlab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2009, 08:42 AM   #21
4 Rivet Member
 
DPeakMD's Avatar
 
1975 23' Safari
1978 31' Excella 500
Franklin , Indiana
Join Date: Feb 2002
Posts: 472
Images: 2
Send a message via Yahoo to DPeakMD
Quote:
Originally Posted by 76sovereign View Post
Our fridge in the 76 Sovereign doesn't work... and one of the knobs at the bottom
Probably not useful info, but just so you know. All those little knobs inside connect to things on the back of the unit, so you can still work the controls by opening up the outside compartment and wiggling things! You might discover the source of the problem. It could be something simple, or maybe not...this is not what you want to see!!!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Blown Fridge '78 002.jpg
Views:	69
Size:	103.7 KB
ID:	74400  
__________________
Dallas Peak, MD 'That 70's Guy!'
VAC 1VP President
WBCCI/VAC #8481
AIR #9
W9CDC
.-- ----. -.-. -.. -.-.
DPeakMD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2009, 11:22 PM   #22
4 Rivet Member
 
Currently Looking...
holland , Michigan
Join Date: Oct 2007
Posts: 436
Images: 1
This is good stuff, imagine what a 4k watt inverter would do with 2 agm batteries and a good solid charge from the t/v. I estimate going down the road you could also supply heat from a small 120v ceramic heater, and more!! Your choice for a fridge is excellent and should have dometic shaking with fear from simplicity and good design. Keep thinking all electric.
__________________
safari 28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2009, 12:00 PM   #23
Rivet Master
 
76sovereign's Avatar
 
1976 31' Sovereign
ozark , Missouri
Join Date: Aug 2007
Posts: 1,032
Images: 28
Blog Entries: 3
Awesome! Worth a try FOR SURE~Thank you
Quote:
Originally Posted by DPeakMD View Post
Probably not useful info, but just so you know. All those little knobs inside connect to things on the back of the unit, so you can still work the controls by opening up the outside compartment and wiggling things! You might discover the source of the problem. It could be something simple, or maybe not...this is not what you want to see!!!
76sovereign is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2009, 12:03 PM   #24
Rivet Master
 
76sovereign's Avatar
 
1976 31' Sovereign
ozark , Missouri
Join Date: Aug 2007
Posts: 1,032
Images: 28
Blog Entries: 3
Very helpful...thank you
Quote:
Originally Posted by brownsmtnlab View Post
The refrigerator we are using shows 1.2 amps at 120volts when running or defrosting....This is key! We found several small fridges that used this small amount of power, so try and use one of them. It will draw more than that for a short time when the compressor starts, so having an inverter rated at 800-1200 watts continuous is necessary. The inverter will allow more power to be drawn for short periods of time. I believe we are using #6 gauge wire direct from the battery terminals to the 12 volt side of the inverter, with a 75amp fuse. The 120 volt end of the inverter is run to a weatherproof box installed in the septic hose storage area with a plug that will accept the 30 amp shore power cord....So basically you plug the airstream into itself and the outlets in the airstream all become active....We make sure NOTHING else is using the 120 volt power but the fridge to avoid overloading the inverter, and this includes turning off the breaker for the air condtioner, because it has a transformer that is active all the time even when your not using it to cool the cabin. While traveling the charge from our F250 has kept the batteries at 100% while using the fridge this way...I hope that helps!
__________________

76sovereign is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Electric Probs w/ Fridge, Help! silverpeanut Refrigerators 6 05-24-2007 09:19 PM
Fridge power - gas/electric??? Tin Lizzy Refrigerators 7 05-10-2006 10:04 AM
For electric for genration hase to be oun for electric RichardT Electrical - Systems, Generators, Batteries & Solar 7 12-05-2005 09:05 PM
Electric or Gas electric fridge replacement?? tin can luv Refrigerators 26 03-22-2004 10:50 AM
Electric rslaymaker 1965 Safari 2 05-29-2002 11:46 PM


Virginia Campgrounds

Reviews provided by




Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 05:07 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.

Airstream is a registered trademark of Airstream Inc. All rights reserved. Airstream trademark used under license to Social Knowledge LLC.