Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Interior Restoration Forum > Refrigerators
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 07-20-2011, 12:24 AM   #1

1963 26' Overlander
Bainbridge Island , Washington
Dorm fridge?

I'm renovating a 1963 overlander and everything is out. The crap fridge. The rotten floor. The airconditioner (and it's 47-year-old freon!) gone. The cassis was fixed. the tires and wheels replaced. things are moving forward and we've come to a big question. The fridge.

I just need to know what the big deal is with an RV fridge. Can't I get one from Home Depot, the little dorm fridges seem like a perfect solution. Clearly, it won't run off of gas. But it'll fit will.

so i guess the question is ... if i don't care if the fridge runs off of gas, can i just have a regular small fridge in my overlander.

thanks for your help.

erin
erinfredrx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2011, 05:52 AM   #2
Rivet Master

1961 24' Tradewind
1969 29' Ambassador
1970 21' Globetrotter
Jamestown , Tennessee
I have bought several trailers that had these. They worked fine as long as you don't need to boon dock. They certainly are a lot cheaper

Since we are rarely any place with power I have always replaced them.
99 Dodge TD 577K miles

RickDavis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2011, 06:03 AM   #3

2015 25' FB Flying Cloud
2012 23' FB Flying Cloud
2005 25' Safari
Santa Rosa Beach , Florida
That little house refrigerator will work fne as long as you have AC power. If you don't care about boondocking, or running the refrigerator while travelling, that should work for you.

Brian
WBCCI #3628 -- AIR #14872 -- TAC #FL-7
2015 FC 25' FB (Lucy) with ProPride
2020 Silverado 2500 (Vivian)
2023 Rivian R1T (Opal)
moosetags is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2011, 08:05 AM   #4
Rivet Master

2009 27' FB Flying Cloud
1982 31' International
1991 35' Airstream 350
Jay , Oklahoma
This question is asked a lot here. I am aware of the cost of the RV refers and that budgets simply may not allow that option. I know a lot of folks go with the AC only units. I guess I would like to know how many of those who chose AC only later went back and bought the standard RV refers.

For our use, not having the option of propane would not work at all. Long travel days in hot weather, and boondocking alone and at events (NASCAR, Burning Man, etc) require it. I like not being limited to camping only where hook-ups are available.

Whatever your choice, happy camping!

jdalrymple is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2011, 08:14 AM   #5
2 Rivet Member

1971 27' Overlander
Springfield , Missouri
We completely eliminated the need for gas when restoring our '71 Overlander. The Dometic runs very well on AC, in fact, too well sometimes. And, it stays cold from one place to the next. If I ever needed to replace it, I would go for a larger dorm refer. We don't ever plan on boondocking or camping at a place that doesn't have hook ups.
Ag'71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2011, 08:21 AM   #6
Rivet Master

1978 Argosy Minuet 6.0 Metre
Currently Looking...
Wauwatosa , Wisconsin
Some thing to consider

The dorm size fridge comes in two types. A compressor type and a thermal-electrical type.
The compressor type will cool the best but you will hear the compressor run, start up, and shut off. This might be annoying to some at night.
The thermal-electrical type only cools 30-40 degrees below ambient. Also the fan runs continually. Again noise at night.

The RV fridge is quiet and cool very well.
GeocamperAS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2011, 08:47 AM   #7
Rivet Master

1968 24' Tradewind
Oxford, , Mississippi
When I bought my Trade Wind it had a dorm fridge in it. It worked fine when parked. And was OK when we had only a couple of hour drive for the day. I replaced it with a new Dometic RM 2510(PPL in Houston had the best price) which fit the original location. We just got home yesterday from 9 days in the Smokey Mountains and North Georgia. Rachel and I both agreed that the money spent on the fridge was some of the best we spent on the trailer. First it is much bigger and has a larger freezer. But more important is we could keep things cold while traveling. The freezer stayed around zero and the fridge part around 37 with the thermostat about 3/4 of the way up and we had some hot weather. We made 3 trips with the dorm fridge before getting the new Dometic. There is not way I would go back to just 120V.
68 Trade Wind
2001 Toyota Tundra
68 TWind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2011, 09:49 AM   #8
Rivet Master

2008 27' Classic FB
Burkburnett , Texas
Most things in life are a compromise... I have known folks who have traveled with a dorm type refrigerator with good results, but have given up the freezer. They keep the freezer stocked with those blue gel freezer packs. When they will be on the road most of the day, they move them to the fridge compartment and try not to open the door. When they arrive at their destination and get plugged in, they move them back to the freezer to get "recharged". Some have said that the fridge itself will stay cool enough safely for several hours without connection to AC power if they don't open the door much.
Old 07-20-2011, 10:33 AM   #9
Wise Elder

2010 30' Classic
Vintage Kin Owner
South of the river , Minnesota
Erin

Welcome to the forums.

The "dorm fridge" conversions are fairly common on older trailers where cost is a major concern. While there are some reports of early failures -- dorm fridges are made cheaply and the constant motion accelerates failures -- overall they do work while plugged in.

But having a fridge that will work without AC power may be more important than you realize. I only rarely "boondock" but would not be without a propane fridge since there are so many situations where it's important to maintain cooling. Among these, a long day on the road in hot weather. Stops to run errands on the way to or from a campsite. Unexpected stops on the roadside due to mechanical failures or bad weather. Parking in a driveway to load or unload people or stuff. Power failures at the campground.

Having the propane fridge takes the stress and rush out of these sorts of situations because we know that both the fridge and freezer temps will be maintained. It also eliminates the need in most cases to hook up a shore power cord for brief stops at home or at friend's places.

So you'll have to consider your "use case" -- the kind of traveling you are going to do and what kind of food you're going to keep on hand. If you only plan on traveling short distances and then stay in one spot then a dorm fridge may be ok.
Jammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2011, 12:04 PM   #10
Rivet Master

1965 17' Caravel
1983 27' Excella
Walnut Grove/Laguna Woods , California
Send a message via Yahoo to Jim Foster
Always amazed

There are many threads on this forum regarding modification/upgrade of our Airstream travel trailers, axle upgrades, additional/better battery system upgrades, 12v/110v inverters, solar systems, and the list goes on.

This subject of changing from a 110v/propane refer to a 110v only refer is about the only subject that deals with making a travel trailer less desireable and user friendly.

Oh, I know, "I'm going to keep this trailer forever". "I will only go where I can plug in." Trailers spoken of in this manner go on the market every day.

You will never be sorry for putting a real RV refer in your Airstream.

Think real hard before you turn your Airstream into something that most others would not want to use. Soon, you may not want to use it either.
Past President, El Camino Real Unit WBCCI#6620
Street Rod Builder (see avatar)
Kite flier (check out links below)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bp3nuNtlZcA&t=331s
https://www.youtube.com/my_videos?feature=mhee
Jim Foster is offline   Reply With Quote