Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-23-2009, 09:25 AM   #1
2 Rivet Member

1989 29' Excella
Boerne , Texas
Dometic RM2811 info needed -- running on LP

Greetings, Mario here.

I am new to the airstream space, and am grateful for all the information on this site. It has come in handy several times already. I need some assistance on troubleshooting an issue I am having with my refridge. It runs perfectly on shore power, but it won't start or run on LP.

I have verified the fuses on the controller board, also, I ignited the LP with a lighter during the 45 seconds it tries to start, but the LP always stops when I turn off the lighter. I do not see any "sparkles" during the ignition (45 second) period. I have two full #30 tanks, only one of them is currently open feeding LP to the trailer.

Anyway, I suspect I might have a bad controller, but don't want to put out the $ until I am fairly sure. So, is there any testing methods I can use to test it completely? My issues are; 1) why won't the unit ignite the LP at start-up, and 2) why won't it stay lit after I manually light it?

Any input is greatly appreciated, and I thank you in advance.

Regards,
Mario

1989 Excella 29'
2000 Ford Diesel F250 (330,000 miles)
maroth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2009, 09:49 AM   #2
Retired.

Currently Looking...
. , At Large
I just retrofitted an igniter on a fridge last week, I can tell you what I had to make sure of so it would work. I had to make sure the wire to the igniter was connected, the igniter was located so the flame of the pilot would heat it (feedback for the board),and the igniter was not touching anything metal. That would short out the igniter, and it wouldn't spark.
Old 08-23-2009, 03:02 PM   #3
2 Rivet Member

1989 29' Excella
Boerne , Texas
Terry, Problem Solved!!!!

Thanks a bunch for the info, it provided me with a valuable tip. "the igniter was not touching any metal" What I found was first, I was trying to light the LP at the orifice that forces the LP into the pilot tube, that's why it was blowing out. I was able to light the LP at the pilot holes at the far end of the pilot tube and it stayed lit just fine.

Then what I noticed was the end of the electrode started glowing red, but was malformed with what I'll describe as a bunch of metal particles. So much so, it was in contact with the thermalcouple. So, i went back to AC, and brushed off the end of the electrode and thermalcouple, and wa-la, ignition!!! I guess the particles were creating a short from the electrode to ground. All is well with the gas refridge now. It ignites and re-ignites when blown out, all by itself like it is supposed to.

Thanks so much for the assistance. BTW - You guys at Inland RV have been a friend of mine since I acquired the RV. You guys are great! I hope your new adventure is just as good.

Kindest Regards,
Mario
maroth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2009, 12:11 AM   #4
4 Rivet Member

1975 25' Tradewind
, Michigan
Send a message via AIM to eikel1we
We are having the same problem in reverse. The Dometic works fine on gas but not at all on electric - not economical when snowbirding. Any suggestions???

suz
2004 GMC Yukon XL 2500
Michigan - "middle of the mitt"
eikel1we is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2009, 11:51 AM   #5
4 Rivet Member

1975 25' Tradewind
, Michigan
Send a message via AIM to eikel1we
Rivet

Quote:
Originally Posted by eikel1we View Post
We are having the same problem in reverse. The Dometic works fine on gas but not at all on electric - not economical when snowbirding. Any suggestions???

suz

So sorry! I posted my question here in error. I did not intend to "hi-jack" this thread. For informational purposes, it seems as though there was a broken wire found after an very lengthy seek and search for the trouble this morning.

suz
2004 GMC Yukon XL 2500
Michigan - "middle of the mitt"
eikel1we is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
dometic, refrigerator